E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Adaptive Headlight Error! Xenon light out!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-13-2014, 04:21 PM   #45
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
Dark_Knight_335's Avatar
United_States
155
Rep
10,642
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NY/NJ

iTrader: (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157
Quote:
Originally Posted by samvora View Post
Aren't the nighbreakers way cheaper than the CBI's? Why so? Makes me wonder. I prefer a pure white light output and so I was going to go with the CBI's today but now with this new info you guys have me confused!
Well, their price may be lower since they don't use the custom salt mix that the CBI's do. I should rephrase what I said. The Osram NightBreakers are probably the best 4300K-ish bulbs on the market. But I prefer the pure white output (and it seems you do too) and in that case, the CBI's are definitely the best bulbs on the market.
I have the Osram Night Breakers - exact same kelvin for fogs. They are ok, but no halogen solution is really that good...meh, might take em out soon and go back to my stock Osrams...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 01:40 PM   #46
JaysBlueE92
Mr. Monaco
JaysBlueE92's Avatar
United_States
51
Rep
4,037
Posts

 
Drives: Slow..
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2007 E92  [2.50]
known issue on e92 good to see op figured it out nice DIY and info here
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #47
E92-Lighting
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
E92-Lighting's Avatar
United_States
424
Rep
27,017
Posts


 
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Walnut

iTrader: (319)

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
let us know when the issue is finally isolated and fixed, very interesting how things panned out
__________________

Last edited by E92-Lighting; 05-14-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #48
rollinstone157
Brotographer
rollinstone157's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,701
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 328i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ, USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
I have the Osram Night Breakers - exact same kelvin for fogs. They are ok, but no halogen solution is really that good...meh, might take em out soon and go back to my stock Osrams...
Exactly, no halogen solution is that good.

But another fun development on the (well-performing) LED fog light front!

A company called Carclo (and others) makes something called a TIR (Total Internal Reflection) Lens. Similar to a reflector in the nature that light is shaped and projected out the front, TIRs have the advantage that a given form factor an easily produce different light beams by changing certain characteristics of the TIR.

I ordered a bunch for my flashlight projects--a narrow, medium, wide, and an elliptical beam. The elliptical beam looks like it would be phenomenal for fog lights--very wide, yet narrow spread. I'm going to wait until it's foggy out and just test the flashlight. But if the BMW OEM fog retrofit doesn't work out, I may end up building a custom solution with a buck driver, some neutral white high-CRI LEDs, and a 3-LEDs-in-1 elliptical TIR. I'll make a thread if I follow through with my ideas.

Sorry to
__________________
Reviews -|- HPB "Ultimate" LED Interior Kit -|- Noyka Cornering Bulbs -|- HPB 20W AE [OLD] -|- LUX H8 V4 -|- New Reviews Pending Vendor Approval
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 02:15 PM   #49
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
Dark_Knight_335's Avatar
United_States
155
Rep
10,642
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NY/NJ

iTrader: (27)

Got my Osram CBIs today- going to have them installed along with my LSD Saturday or the 31st!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 02:21 PM   #50
LuxAngelEyes
Banned
United_States
70
Rep
3,086
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325xi, Sparkling Graphite
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Haven, CT

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
Exactly, no halogen solution is that good.

But another fun development on the (well-performing) LED fog light front!

A company called Carclo (and others) makes something called a TIR (Total Internal Reflection) Lens. Similar to a reflector in the nature that light is shaped and projected out the front, TIRs have the advantage that a given form factor an easily produce different light beams by changing certain characteristics of the TIR.

I ordered a bunch for my flashlight projects--a narrow, medium, wide, and an elliptical beam. The elliptical beam looks like it would be phenomenal for fog lights--very wide, yet narrow spread. I'm going to wait until it's foggy out and just test the flashlight. But if the BMW OEM fog retrofit doesn't work out, I may end up building a custom solution with a buck driver, some neutral white high-CRI LEDs, and a 3-LEDs-in-1 elliptical TIR. I'll make a thread if I follow through with my ideas.

Sorry to
Years ago a tried to make my own LED based fog lights and tested out a lot of differet optics. The problem with most of them is that there is no clear cutoff beam on them, and too much light was shining upwards still. Ellipical beams do give the best usable light since they are wide, however they will still blind oncoming drivers.

If you look at the design of the new LED based fog lights and headlights from BMW they use an LED facing upwards into a reflector. The reflector allows for a more controlled beam pattern while presenting excess light from shining upwards.

I did end up going with my own LED fog lights by using a aspherical lens and the top half of it was painted black. There are 6 LED's in a row and because of that you get a wide beam angle. Te 1/2 top painted black blocks light from shining upwards. The biggest problem is adjusting the whole thing to make the light cutoff level with the ground. Trust me it wasnt a very fun project. Some of the newer Ledil Asymmetric optics might work nicely, again just no cutoff beam
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 07:18 PM   #51
E92-Lighting
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
E92-Lighting's Avatar
United_States
424
Rep
27,017
Posts


 
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Walnut

iTrader: (319)

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
Exactly, no halogen solution is that good.

But another fun development on the (well-performing) LED fog light front!

A company called Carclo (and others) makes something called a TIR (Total Internal Reflection) Lens. Similar to a reflector in the nature that light is shaped and projected out the front, TIRs have the advantage that a given form factor an easily produce different light beams by changing certain characteristics of the TIR.

I ordered a bunch for my flashlight projects--a narrow, medium, wide, and an elliptical beam. The elliptical beam looks like it would be phenomenal for fog lights--very wide, yet narrow spread. I'm going to wait until it's foggy out and just test the flashlight. But if the BMW OEM fog retrofit doesn't work out, I may end up building a custom solution with a buck driver, some neutral white high-CRI LEDs, and a 3-LEDs-in-1 elliptical TIR. I'll make a thread if I follow through with my ideas.

Sorry to
correct, normally for fog lights, all halogen bulbs are very similar, issue was already fixed with our MTEC LEDs.




__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 03:04 PM   #52
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
AWDBooSTIn90's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
248
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Long Island

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92-Lighting View Post
correct, normally for fog lights, all halogen bulbs are very similar, issue was already fixed with our MTEC LEDs.




Wow that led fog light bulb is actually pretty good. Does it look that good in real life or is that just the photo making the white light make it seem brighter than it is? The reason i say that is because my stock fog lights actually do a decent job of lighting the road infront of the car. Just not white at all. And could be brighter i know.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 08:57 AM   #53
rollinstone157
Brotographer
rollinstone157's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,701
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 328i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ, USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
How are the headlights from hell treating you these days
__________________
Reviews -|- HPB "Ultimate" LED Interior Kit -|- Noyka Cornering Bulbs -|- HPB 20W AE [OLD] -|- LUX H8 V4 -|- New Reviews Pending Vendor Approval
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 08:55 AM   #54
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
AWDBooSTIn90's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
248
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Long Island

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157
How are the headlights from hell treating you these days
The headlights are good. No more leaking. I ended up just putting a super thin bead of black silicone on the lexan/headlight housing seam. Worked great and you cant tell its there.

I still need to install my new ballast and AHL module.

I have my car all apart right now for some maintenance/upgrades:

335is motor mounts, m3 trans mounts, downpipes.

OFH gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, coolant change, oil change, rear diff fluid, vanos solenoid gaskets, carbon cleaning.

After all that its on to an idrive retrofit. Gotta swap the dashboard. I have a complete idrive system already but i might go with a nexus 7 or ipad mini in the double scoop. Then after that! Its time for m3 bushings and m3 suspension.

Luckily i have another car so i get to enjoy working on the 35 and take my time!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 05:18 PM   #55
rollinstone157
Brotographer
rollinstone157's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,701
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 328i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ, USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDBooSTIn90 View Post
The headlights are good. No more leaking. I ended up just putting a super thin bead of black silicone on the lexan/headlight housing seam. Worked great and you cant tell its there.

I still need to install my new ballast and AHL module.

I have my car all apart right now for some maintenance/upgrades:

335is motor mounts, m3 trans mounts, downpipes.

OFH gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, coolant change, oil change, rear diff fluid, vanos solenoid gaskets, carbon cleaning.

After all that its on to an idrive retrofit. Gotta swap the dashboard. I have a complete idrive system already but i might go with a nexus 7 or ipad mini in the double scoop. Then after that! Its time for m3 bushings and m3 suspension.

Luckily i have another car so i get to enjoy working on the 35 and take my time!
Glad to hear that the silicone has solved your problems! Hopefully everything will be in working order when all the new electronics come in.

Now that's a setup you've got planned there. I'm big on mods like that--not necessarily something you see, but something that you can feel.

While the Nexus is nice, there's nothing like good OEM integration, and the iDrive will make that happen. Unless you only found a CCC instead of the newer CIC, then don't bother with it, cause the CCC is a total wet blanket
__________________
Reviews -|- HPB "Ultimate" LED Interior Kit -|- Noyka Cornering Bulbs -|- HPB 20W AE [OLD] -|- LUX H8 V4 -|- New Reviews Pending Vendor Approval
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 02:24 PM   #56
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
AWDBooSTIn90's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
248
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Long Island

iTrader: (1)

Definetly going with something better than the ccc. I was alittle dissapointed the first time i tried it. I was expecting it to be alot better than it was. Im just glad the CIC is pretty much an easy swap and is a big upgrade. Im debating on whether to go with the newer NBT idrive setup or just go with the CIC with combox. I havent really been looking into it much lately because ive been busy with other stuff.

I just had the carbon cleaning done yesterday thanks to Dan(Dr. Carbon)! He did a great job and knows his stuff. It was reallyyyy bad. Lots of buildup. Should notice a nice change i would say. I want to buy an oil catch can now so i can minimize the buildup if i can.

I bought a JB4 that i have waiting to go in. So should have some fun with that!

Motor mounts are done. Trans mounts done. OFH gaskets done. I cleaned out the coolant resevoir while i had it drained for the OFH removal. New coolant going in tomorrow and then ill have to do the bleeding.

But thats alittle off topic lol. I will be ordering the new ballast and AHL module as soon as i get some free time. It hasnt been a proirity since i havent been even driving the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 02:40 PM   #57
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
Dark_Knight_335's Avatar
United_States
155
Rep
10,642
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NY/NJ

iTrader: (27)

AWD damn bro- I wish I had a FRACTION of the DIY talents you seem to have man. Sounds you have plenty to keep you busy- hope everything turns out exactly as you planned!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 11:35 PM   #58
rollinstone157
Brotographer
rollinstone157's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,701
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 328i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ, USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDBooSTIn90 View Post
Definetly going with something better than the ccc. I was alittle dissapointed the first time i tried it. I was expecting it to be alot better than it was. Im just glad the CIC is pretty much an easy swap and is a big upgrade. Im debating on whether to go with the newer NBT idrive setup or just go with the CIC with combox. I havent really been looking into it much lately because ive been busy with other stuff.

I just had the carbon cleaning done yesterday thanks to Dan(Dr. Carbon)! He did a great job and knows his stuff. It was reallyyyy bad. Lots of buildup. Should notice a nice change i would say. I want to buy an oil catch can now so i can minimize the buildup if i can.

I bought a JB4 that i have waiting to go in. So should have some fun with that!

Motor mounts are done. Trans mounts done. OFH gaskets done. I cleaned out the coolant resevoir while i had it drained for the OFH removal. New coolant going in tomorrow and then ill have to do the bleeding.

But thats alittle off topic lol. I will be ordering the new ballast and AHL module as soon as i get some free time. It hasnt been a proirity since i havent been even driving the car.
Hey man, how's the car doing?
__________________
Reviews -|- HPB "Ultimate" LED Interior Kit -|- Noyka Cornering Bulbs -|- HPB 20W AE [OLD] -|- LUX H8 V4 -|- New Reviews Pending Vendor Approval
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 07:40 AM   #59
GreaseJunkie
Second Lieutenant
United_States
3
Rep
270
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 e90 330i Black Sapphire
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

I just got AHL servo codes after installing Weisslicht (sp) LED angel eye bulbs. Was thinking it was their fault, but after reading this thread and battling condensation on my driver assembly, I'm pretty convinced I have the same issue as OP. Thankfully now I have a clear cut idea on what I have to do. This is why I love this site.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST