E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Falling asleep at the wheel = accident

06-15-2008, 07:15 AM   #1
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Unhappy Falling asleep at the wheel = accident

I was on my way home from work late last night on the m25 between A12 and the M11.

There are some specs type average cams on that 8 mile stretch, not sure if there switched on as there are no signs? been there a while now and i just alweays travel 70-75mph through tthem.

a 4x4 type vehilce came past at an approx 95+mph

As i came up to the last camera i stepped up my pace to about 85-90mph as a Shitroen AX with a lady in came past me at 90-95mph+ in the fast lane.

As we came to a left hand curve she went straight on, careering through the fast lane and smashing into the central reservation, rebounding into the middle lane and still travelling at 75+

I flashed her to pull over and we both pulled onto the hard shoulder.

I went to her car to see if she was ok the car was badly damaged with the front wing smashed in 4 inches and the door heavily bent and the rear quarter scraped.

Door would not open so with some ''Fandango Force'' i burst it open.

she had fallen asleep. I gave her a bottle of lucozade i had and told her she was alucky woman, had the curve been a left hander she would have gone up the bank and rolled. It would have been much worse.

she rang her husband and told him the car was wrecked. 10-15 mins later he appereard. He had been the 4x4 vehicle that had gone steaming ahead before the accident. She was following him.

i said you really need to pul into a layby and sleep if your tired, not worth risking your life.

Lucky no car was passing her in the fast lane as she cut accross eh.

I got some string and we tied her door shut as it wouldnt anymore.

I never have trouble with driving late at night even after a long shift at work. Stems back to when i was 17 and just passed my test in 2001 and one night with a mate travelling back from a club in a 60zone two miles from home on a tree lined road i nodded off, my jmate screamed as we went onto the wrong side of the road.. had i been on my own i would have had a big smash,

since then i have never let it happen again, and i cant with the amount of late night driving i do. Somehow just wake up and become alert for the journey home.

Just remind yourselves and families to always plan your journeys and breaks etc. Never drive tired guys it aint worth it.

This lady this time was lucky, doesnt always happen this way

take care guys and girls

Carlos

Last edited by dxb335d; 06-15-2008 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
Road safety ..... fandango styleee! lol

I've never fallen asleep behind the wheel but I have had a car give me such a headache (Porsche 944, looooong motorway journey, doing 95-100) I had to pull over into the services and have a coffee and some time out.

Not that it helped later that night some stupid idiot in a Renault Megane ran straight into me in Buxton (or Bouckston as Carlos likes to call it ) Sparking the nationwide "Renault Meganes are bollocks .... Save the '44" campaign unfortunetly as you know it didn't work and I ended up with Maxxie the Mazda!

On a serious note, glad she was OK though I imagine the Shitroen will be written off, maybe she'll buy a BMW after being saved by the dxb.

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Good work mate, I can see a Viv photoshop special coming up!!

I did fall asleep momentarily when returning home from a long day, van veered off and hit the kerb which luckily was a deep one. Scared the s***e out of me and certainly woke me up, in fact I dont think I could sleep that night! As soon as I start feeling sleepy now I pull up somewhere safe and have a kip, not worth the risk. Better to be late than never arrive at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 12:57 PM   #4
CD
gone ... but i will be back !
England
Rep
Drives: 335D Coupe

good job you were there mate

i have done this a few times, you think your ok and 'nearly home' and can keep yourself awake , but really your not and your eyes keep dropping. I keep some red bull in my boot for that reason , but i should just pull over

thanks for the reminder

E92 335D / QUAIFE LSD / EIBACH / DIMISA / REMAP / 19" HAMANN EDITION RACE REPS
... USUALLY WITH A HEALTHY SPLATTERING OF GOOD OLD YORKSHIRE MUD ...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Well done Carl, not a nice situation to come across at night but sounds like you had it under control.
      06-15-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Well done helping out Carl Nasty incident and lucky it wan't worse...
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 05:33 AM   #7
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
It was lucky it wasnt worse, Porscha i think she may buy a van as i was in my work van lol
      06-16-2008, 05:50 AM   #8
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
It was lucky it wasnt worse, Porscha i think she may buy a van as i was in my work van lol
Aw, well at least it'll be a denzil, lol!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 05:56 AM   #9
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscha! View Post
Aw, well at least it'll be a denzil, lol!
a 105bhp VW. Goes well for a vaaaaan
      06-16-2008, 09:01 AM   #10
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
My mate came home one night really late and he was tired as hell. He pulled up to garage door and must have nodded off there and then. He woke a little later with a garage door a few feet away - and thought he was still driving.
Scared the absolute be-jessus out of him as he slammed brakes and tried to panic steer (a parked car)
He said that he walked into the house then - wide awake. LOL

Good effort Carlos. Was she a hottie or was it a selfless act???
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 04:56 PM   #11
alcook
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP Convertible

I made a big mistake of driving back from Brienz in Switzerland all the way back to Wakefield in a single stint (separated by a 2 hour ferry crossing where I got an hour shuteye). Total was just over 800 miles and something like 20 Hours with waiting for the Ferry.

The last few miles were crazy as my lad was talking to me and I was talking back but I still felt myself nod off... I woke immediately and was really concerned. It was 4am and within a few mins I was home. Thankfully.

Sparked out on the Sofa after a few seconds of hitting it.

I did try and sleep at a services, but I was loaded with that much coffee and red bull I couldn't. The gap between driving on and an accident was really too close for comfort. next time I'll heed Carlos's words and make sure I have a kip if I'm that tired.....
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2008, 05:33 PM   #12
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330cdsport View Post
nodded off there and then.....woke a little later with a garage door a few feet away - and thought he was still driving.
Scared the absolute be-jessus out of him as he slammed brakes and tried to panic steer (a parked car)
Did something similar myself.....but whilst I was parked up in the northbound car park of the Hilton Park services on the M6. From that day I vowed never to drive if I was really really tired and if push came to shove, pull off at the first available exit and......better late than never.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 03:34 AM   #13
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Lucky no-one else was injured - Fatigue is a big killer on the roads - biggest culprits are lorry/artic drivers who nod off and then plough through broken down vehicles in the hard shoulder (emergency lane). Hence why you should NEVER stay in your car (if on the hard shoulder) - no matter what the weather is doing.
      06-17-2008, 04:00 AM   #14
Budgie
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X1 25D M sport

Garage List
Thumbs up

Good morning all
Carlos what a unselfish act of goodness, you should be proud of yourself not only as a man but as a person.

I myself have to spend many hours driving through work at crazy hours of the mornings and late evenings and you would be surprised how many people you do actually see weaving and snatching at the wheel.The biggest culprits are people who underestimate the conditions i.e many can stay up and watch tv in a relaxed enviroment but given midnight in a any vehicle the concentration levels are massively higher.

I commonly see at 4am on the M25 lorries capable of wiping all mankind out in serious shapes , infact thank goodness for 3 or 4 lanes and very little traffic flow.

Please take time out and rest and then ull get to drive your pride and joy a little longer.

Once again carlos, well done.....
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 05:59 AM   #15
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgie View Post
Good morning all
Carlos what a unselfish act of goodness, you should be proud of yourself not only as a man but as a person.

I myself have to spend many hours driving through work at crazy hours of the mornings and late evenings and you would be surprised how many people you do actually see weaving and snatching at the wheel.The biggest culprits are people who underestimate the conditions i.e many can stay up and watch tv in a relaxed enviroment but given midnight in a any vehicle the concentration levels are massively higher.

I commonly see at 4am on the M25 lorries capable of wiping all mankind out in serious shapes , infact thank goodness for 3 or 4 lanes and very little traffic flow.

Please take time out and rest and then ull get to drive your pride and joy a little longer.

Once again carlos, well done.....

cheers dude.

I see it too. Lorries on the M25 swerving about as i come past. I give em one long major blast on the horn. Ive almost been taken out a few times over the yearrs like this.
      06-17-2008, 06:15 AM   #16
Budgie
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X1 25D M sport

Garage List
Ive never had it myself as i will use all 3 or 4 lanes to keep out the way...but yeh i seen it to many times to convince me too thats its healthy.
Appreciate 0