E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > A Euro Delivery trip of epic proportions

03-26-2010, 11:03 AM   #45
CarForHire
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow in the left lane.

Garage List
2007 E90 328i  [0.00]
Sounds amazing. One of the best ways to travel.
Have fun and be safe. Looking forward to seeing some pictures.
      03-26-2010, 11:08 AM   #46
fluidkaos
I wanna go fast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a madman.

Garage List
2010 E92 335i  [9.31]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo335i View Post
Believe me, us military stationed over here are in heaven.
I was wondering what you were going to do in the Kaiserslautern area myself...we go down there quite often.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smack View Post
I was stationed at Rammstein and lived in K-town
I was stationed 'right across the street' at Landstuhl for three years, and still have some friends there. I absolutely loved my time there, and have been itching to go back for the last four years.
      03-26-2010, 11:17 AM   #47
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidkaos View Post
Government contracting in the Middle East.
Hahaha....I knew it....been there, done that.....survived it...

It was while I was there that I first read online about the new (2007) twin turbo, 300HP/300TQ, 4.8 0-60MPH (according to C&D), 335i .... couldn't pass it up.

Risk has its rewards...Have a GREAT time with your ED!

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 06:55 AM   #48
fluidkaos
I wanna go fast!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E92 335i  [9.31]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip4335 View Post
Risk has its rewards...Have a GREAT time with your ED!
There are definitely some perks, if you don't mind sand in everything.
      03-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #49
m@rco
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 540i; '07 328i; '03 R1150R

I'm jealous. Especially since I've been to all the places that you mention and I know how much fun it can be. The Stelvio Pass may still be closed but there is a lot of other cool driving "close by". Spend some time in the Dolomites and drive around the Sella Ronda (Italian Alps). This is very popular for bike and car enthusiast because of the many passes within close range. I did that twice on my (BMW) bike!

Consider skipping Interlaken and Zurich. For some reason, many American tourists visit these towns in Switzerland and there is really nothing exiting about them. In stead, spend some extra days in Holland! Visit and drive your car over the "Delta Works" (huge dams) in the province of Zeeland (south-west) or cruise along the endless tulip bulb fields in the west. During Queensday (and in general in Amsterdam), park you car at the garage under the 1928 Olympic Stadium and get a free bicycle OR public transport card for use in the city. No point in driving around. Parking is extremely expensive in the centre (€4.80 per hour!) and if you don't, chances of getting a parking ticket AND getting towed is about 80%.

Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 02:19 PM   #50
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Sounds amazing!

Since you're driving so many miles, were you planning on taking a little something something with you to make your car go faster for the ring?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 03:16 PM   #51
fluidkaos
I wanna go fast!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E92 335i  [9.31]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
Sounds amazing!

Since you're driving so many miles, were you planning on taking a little something something with you to make your car go faster for the ring?
I was tempted to order a v4 before I left, but decided not to. The temptation to crank it up all the time would be too much, and I will be breaking in a brand new car. Didn't want to chance anything. I've tackled the 'Ring in a busted car before, and it's not as fun. Although the improved highway cruising fuel econ that comes with the v4 would be great! $7 a gallon!!
      03-27-2010, 03:23 PM   #52
fluidkaos
I wanna go fast!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E92 335i  [9.31]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m@rco View Post
I'm jealous. Especially since I've been to all the places that you mention and I know how much fun it can be. The Stelvio Pass may still be closed but there is a lot of other cool driving "close by". Spend some time in the Dolomites and drive around the Sella Ronda (Italian Alps). This is very popular for bike and car enthusiast because of the many passes within close range. I did that twice on my (BMW) bike!

Consider skipping Interlaken and Zurich. For some reason, many American tourists visit these towns in Switzerland and there is really nothing exiting about them. In stead, spend some extra days in Holland! Visit and drive your car over the "Delta Works" (huge dams) in the province of Zeeland (south-west) or cruise along the endless tulip bulb fields in the west. During Queensday (and in general in Amsterdam), park you car at the garage under the 1928 Olympic Stadium and get a free bicycle OR public transport card for use in the city. No point in driving around. Parking is extremely expensive in the centre (€4.80 per hour!) and if you don't, chances of getting a parking ticket AND getting towed is about 80%.

Have fun!
Zurich is really only going to be a place to sleep after a LONG drive through the Alps. I have a few alternate routes planned for the Alps if Stelvio is closed. I'll be in Holland for 6 day's. Should be enough time to get out and have some fun. I've been to Amsterdam before, so I know how parking can be. I'm just glad I won't be showing up in a Smart. They've had a recent spat of those getting tossed in the canals!!
      03-27-2010, 03:50 PM   #53
MOTO69JOE
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46, E90

Why come to Ktown???? There are much better places to visit. Congrats you're Gina love the car just take it easy on the ring! It can get crazy with the weekend warriors flying by you.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #54
fluidkaos
I wanna go fast!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E92 335i  [9.31]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTO69JOE View Post
Why come to Ktown???? There are much better places to visit. Congrats you're Gina love the car just take it easy on the ring! It can get crazy with the weekend warriors flying by you.
Visiting friends in K-Town. I plan on hitting the 'Ring on weekdays. Shorter hours, but a lot less traffic to contend with.
      03-27-2010, 08:22 PM   #55
Craigito
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16' F82 M4

Garage List
2020 BMW M4   [10.00]
You get my vote for Brother of the Year. What an itinerary.

Current Ride 2016 M4 / Mineral Gray / DCT/ Full Black Leather / 19in Gunmetal / Executive /LED/Ohlinds RT/SSR DP-CP-Intake/AP Essex 9668/Bootmod STG 2/DINAN HE
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 08:30 PM   #56
Craigito
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16' F82 M4

Garage List
2020 BMW M4   [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m@rco View Post

Have fun!
Innsbruck was pretty ho-hum as well...at least when I was there (July)

Current Ride 2016 M4 / Mineral Gray / DCT/ Full Black Leather / 19in Gunmetal / Executive /LED/Ohlinds RT/SSR DP-CP-Intake/AP Essex 9668/Bootmod STG 2/DINAN HE
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 09:15 PM   #57
GhostyM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: plenty

My ED this year...

Yeah, I went through 7 countries and 3900 miles.

Previous ED I went 3200 miles.

All in 21 days. Hahah
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 10:34 PM   #58
fluidkaos
I wanna go fast!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E92 335i  [9.31]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigito View Post
You get my vote for Brother of the Year. What an itinerary.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigito View Post
Innsbruck was pretty ho-hum as well...at least when I was there (July)
Most of the Alpine stops are just for a place to sleep so I can enjoy driving through the Alps. Not many mountains in Texas, so I want to enjoy as much mountain driving as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipped B6 View Post
My ED this year...

Yeah, I went through 7 countries and 3900 miles.

Previous ED I went 3200 miles.

All in 21 days. Hahah
Nice!
      03-28-2010, 05:09 AM   #59
smack
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW's/Flex Polishers

Man I want to go back to K-town so bad. I miss that place.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 11:11 AM   #60
SpaceSaddle335
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Space/Saddle

Can i be your friend? LOL. SUBSCRIBED!!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 04:41 PM   #61
fluidkaos
I wanna go fast!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E92 335i  [9.31]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smack View Post
Man I want to go back to K-town so bad. I miss that place.
Me too. I hope some of the old places I always went to are still open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceSaddle335 View Post
Can i be your friend? LOL. SUBSCRIBED!!
Sure?
      03-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #62
Marcus-SanDiego
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 4.8i (E70)

Quote:
Sometimes dreams do come true. Mine certainly has. I have just finalized my purchase of a 2010 335i Coupe scheduled for European Delivery. I ordered it with M-Sport in Le Mans Blue, with Saddle Brown interior and most of the options on the list outside of the AT, Cold Weather and a few others I deemed not necessary (not much use for heated seats in Texas ).

It's not too often that one gets to go on a European driving vacation with a nice car waiting for you, so, I decided to forgo the packaged BMW travel plans and make my own. Throughout my journey I will be visiting Munich (of course), Berlin, Frankfurt, the Rhine river valley, the Kaiserslautern area, Prague, Vienna, Innsbruck, Zurich, Geneva, Interlaken, Liechtenstein, parts of Luxembourg, and Belgium, ending off with a few days in Amsterdam for Queen's Day. If you've not heard of Queen's Day in Holland, it's a two day city/country wide party celebrating the birthday of the last queen of Holland.

During all this time, I will be making two separate trips to Nurburgring, and attempt a run at the Stelvio Pass (Top Gears former 'Best Driving Road') assuming the pass isn't closed. Unfortunately, from the looks of the web cams they have posted at the top, it may still be closed by the time I get there. Here's hoping.

All told I will be driving over 3,500 miles through 12 different countries for 28 days. I plan on documenting the whole thing in photo and video, and keeping updates posted as often as I can. I can't think of a better way to break in a new car!

Update: 27 March
"When Life hands you lemons, make lemonade."
I'm sure you've all heard that expression before, and that's exactly what I did. Recently my brother lost his job. So, I've decided, with all his new found 'off time' to treat him to a European vacation. I bought him a plane ticket, and booked the hotels so he can join me on this little adventure. When I told him about it, he said he felt like he'd just won the lottery!

Pick up at BMW Welt is scheduled for the 7th of April at 10:30 Central European time!
That's awesome. You sound like a good dude.

Enjoy the trip; enjoy the car.
      03-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #63
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I remember reading that somewhere, but I figured it couldn't hurt to drive through to say I've been there.
That's true, but on the off chance you have an accident or get car jacked, your insurance won't cover the car. Although I'm sure both cases would be very rare.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 07:38 PM   #64
Cobu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport 6MT

I thought dealerships stopped taking orders for 2010 models 3 weeks ago - at least that's what I was told by my dealer when I asked him about ordering a 2010 335i few days ago ?

Is this not the case ?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 08:00 PM   #65
CarForHire
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow in the left lane.

Garage List
2007 E90 328i  [0.00]
What can be better than enjoying this wonderful trip with your brother. I'm getting so excited but I'm not even going. I can't wait to one day embark on such a trip. Have fun again.
      03-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #66
Gotadime
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Camaro

That is such an epic trip. Have fun and be safe. Don't forget to take plenty of pics!
Appreciate 0