E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > My 335d: Injectors, Carbon, DDE

03-12-2014, 07:56 AM   #177
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Chief your right. Im leaving this weekend to the BMW CCA Convention in Dallas. I will try to bring this issue up, but I will leave my car to my mechanic so he can indulge into this out of my pocket to PROVE BMW there is an issue. I will open a new blog today and will post pics when i return at the end of the month. wish me luck amigos!!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 07:25 AM   #178
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Speaking of the BMW CCA I did an admittedly quick review of the diesel forum and could find no posts about carbon issues which seems weird. That said the CCA forums don't seem to be that active.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 08:54 AM   #179
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

no they are not will try to convey this this weekend
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 08:56 AM   #180
konvict
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335D

let us know how it goes at convention!

dealer turned off my CEL light and said it was radiator sensor or coolant sensor (i forget) code that came up- tech said he thinks cos car was running poorly for so long with carbon buildup and now that carbon buildup is gone car thinks its running poorly...computer was confused... so driving car for one day CEL is back on. i did note that this time it came on after hard acceleration through 1-4th gear. cars back into shop next week...yay

Last edited by konvict; 03-14-2014 at 10:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 09:57 AM   #181
Jhayd11
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
no they are not will try to convey this this weekend
Axel,

If you need us to all jump on CCA and post our issues (current and previous owners) start a forum and give us a link.

Sold my beloved D back in November explicitly due to this issue and still dream of those days of torque and economy.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 11:27 AM   #182
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

I believe its the only way BMW will listen to us. Remember the M3 issue and they hv 100k warranty. Go for it amigos
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 03:33 PM   #183
konvict
Enlisted Member
Rep

we shud post on that site aswell... has anyone already started a thread? ill sign up to forum on weekend and post my stuff
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #184
konvict
Enlisted Member
Rep

so i got a cal from dealer- car has 2 codes showing one for coolant temp sensor $500 job- and now fuel injector #2. not doing either right now went to get my car back.

car drives fine if it was a faulty fuel injector wouldnt i notice drivability issues?

im tired of all these faulty injector issues its obviously not the problem. so im not willing to pay to replace another. ill be calling BMW NA

edit: also i tried to ask my SA (or new SA as my 2 past ones are no longer working there... ive dealt with all 5 of the SA's who work there now) if they can contact BMW CA or escalate issue or have anymoer details thy can find out- he said no... and said i know more about the cars issues than he does and al he can offer is just to fix the CEL with this next attempt. i may try calling a different BMW dealer and see what kinda response i get too

Last edited by konvict; 03-22-2014 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 08:18 PM   #185
cwbiii
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Garage List
2009 335d  [0.00]
2001 330i Convertible  [0.00]
Update from a year or so ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbiii View Post
The prior discussions have set me to thinking if there might be a reprogramming alternative that would fix most of this problem. Might be interesting to explore. BMW can't do it and meet CARB requirements but aftermarket products could. It could be a moneymaker for whomever has a simple solution that still allows these cars to pass emission specs and not suffer from carbon buildup. I'd willingly pay several hundred bucks out of my own pocket for a permanent solution to this problem...
I just wanted to add an update on my problems last year... they went through the complete list. Injectors, Injectors, injectors, new manifold,
tearing the top off of the motor and decarbonizing the pistons and head.
Finally they replaced the DDE and the car became reliable again.

I put several thousand miles on the dealers loaners through this process.
It was in and out of the shop often with little more than a week since the last visit... but I was covered by my warranty pretty much in full and they eventually sorted it out. I've put 10K on since without a hitch. The dealer was as useful as they could be throughout this long process. I figure it cost about 15K to get my vehicle right again. I plan to drive it into the ground, hopefully with 200K + on the odo. Currently I'm about 105K. I will drive it as long as it runs reliably, if it develops this problem again it will be out of warranty and I doubt I would be willing to spend the money to get it right again. I'm hoping it was a bad batch of DDE's and the new one will fix it for good.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2015, 09:52 AM   #186
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Has anybody only gotten a CBU clean-up from the stealership rather than the clean-up with parts (injectors, manifold, DDE) replacement? More curious than a concern because my car is still running well.
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 10:39 AM   #187
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbiii View Post
I just wanted to add an update on my problems last year... they went through the complete list. Injectors, Injectors, injectors, new manifold,
tearing the top off of the motor and decarbonizing the pistons and head.
Finally they replaced the DDE and the car became reliable again.

I put several thousand miles on the dealers loaners through this process.
It was in and out of the shop often with little more than a week since the last visit... but I was covered by my warranty pretty much in full and they eventually sorted it out. I've put 10K on since without a hitch. The dealer was as useful as they could be throughout this long process. I figure it cost about 15K to get my vehicle right again. I plan to drive it into the ground, hopefully with 200K + on the odo. Currently I'm about 105K. I will drive it as long as it runs reliably, if it develops this problem again it will be out of warranty and I doubt I would be willing to spend the money to get it right again. I'm hoping it was a bad batch of DDE's and the new one will fix it for good.
To answer your quoted question, there is a software update that will stop it, but of course not available from BMW. You can get the EGR turned off via computer flash.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 05:25 PM   #188
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
To answer your quoted question, there is a software update that will stop it, but of course not available from BMW. You can get the EGR turned off via computer flash.
What is the better path, i.e., physically blocking the EGR or getting a flash? I guess in CA block plates are the most painless/reversible path.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 05:47 PM   #189
rspring
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

"You can get the EGR turned off via computer flash."

Jarek tune? Is this as effective as block off plates? Please share the tuner. I will ask Mark Malone too. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 06:28 PM   #190
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rspring View Post
"You can get the EGR turned off via computer flash."

Jarek tune? Is this as effective as block off plates? Please share the tuner. I will ask Mark Malone too. Thanks!

I get the feeling that Malone might be in over their heads where the 335d is concerned. How many tuners out there have actually shown the EGR operating at 0% duty cycle?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 06:45 PM   #191
rspring
Private
Rep

Greek,

Malone tunes have tremendous following in the TDI community, but I must admit to no personal experience. I have TDTuning and Rocketchip experience, both were great. My challenge is to stop the clogging NOW until I can get more permanent solutions working. Bought the car Monday with 50K miles on the clock, and one EGR replacement in it's past. I'm in contact with BuzzKen for hardware in your neighborhood, but it seems the lower 40 is pretty much devoid of software tuners and hardware providers. Trying to figure if I can do a stage 1 tune with EGR turned off until I can delete the alphabet and ensure the damage stops. Sent a note to JR Auto moments ago. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 07:28 PM   #192
GottaBeKD
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspring
Greek,

Malone tunes have tremendous following in the TDI community, but I must admit to no personal experience. I have TDTuning and Rocketchip experience, both were great. My challenge is to stop the clogging NOW until I can get more permanent solutions working. Bought the car Monday with 50K miles on the clock, and one EGR replacement in it's past. I'm in contact with BuzzKen for hardware in your neighborhood, but it seems the lower 40 is pretty much devoid of software tuners and hardware providers. Trying to figure if I can do a stage 1 tune with EGR turned off until I can delete the alphabet and ensure the damage stops. Sent a note to JR Auto moments ago. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Hey man.

I'd be more inclined to go with someone the North American community has had recent and documented success from.

JR and Jess are your best choice and my go to when I'm ready to tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 08:10 PM   #193
rspring
Private
Rep

GottaB,

Thanks. Greek just put me in touch with Jess, we are talking. I also sent Jarek a note. I anticipate a DP, tune and W/M soon, just to stop the clogging. Full alphabet to follow.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 08:28 PM   #194
GottaBeKD
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspring
GottaB,

Thanks. Greek just put me in touch with Jess, we are talking. I also sent Jarek a note. I anticipate a DP, tune and W/M soon, just to stop the clogging. Full alphabet to follow.
Sweet. I'd rethink the meth decision. Get it cleaned prior to getting the deletes or after privately.

Unless you are looking to reduce the EGT and push more power its another variable and failure point.

Cheers and good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 11:38 AM   #195
NickTheStick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' X5d / 09' 335d

Bumping an old thread.

I developed a rough idle out of nowhere 2 days ago, and then cylinder 6 started missing. Pulled codes, injector 6 mis-fire.

I have an 09 with a hair over 70k. I have an appt to take the car to Knauz tomorrow. I pulled all the plastics off, to see if I could replace the injector myself (i would on all my other cars), but after seeing the DI setup and the coding needed, I decided the dealership would be the way to go.

I've only owned the car for a year, and a trouble free year and 12k at that. Its disappointing that the prices of these injectors are so high. I work in the aftermarket auto industry and even my price on an OEM injector is around $450.

Anyways, the car sees almost all highway. I drive to and from work each day, 12 miles each way. My home is 2 blocks from the expressway and my office is 2 blocks off the expressway.

I dont think I have CBU, but cant be sure. I think it has to do with the crappy BP diesel i've been using lately. Hopefully its just the injector and I can be on my way.

More later this week...

Im in Chicago too, and this thread was the reason I chose Knauz. Hopefully i'll be able to speak to Jeremy tomorrow. I talked to friends at Elmhurst BMW and they were not familiar with diesels, same with Perillo in the city.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 07:42 AM   #196
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheStick View Post
I dont think I have CBU, but cant be sure. I think it has to do with the crappy BP diesel i've been using lately. Hopefully its just the injector and I can be on my way.
BMW has a test plan to check the diesel quality. You can ask the Service Adviser, they usually do this test as part of the test plan.

I doubt one of your injectors went bad..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 09:40 AM   #197
deezel11
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

hey guys

i have an 11 335d with 75xxx miles

ive began to notice an increase in the idle (getting rougher) on cold starts which seems to rattle the dash a bit (im aware I have carbon build up probably contributing to this)

now my car isnt throwing any ses light or fault codes

ive noticed this morning the idle roughness almost seemed to be swaying left to right this morning

if I take it to the dealer, is there anything they can do without the lights being thrown or would they not be able to see anything?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2016, 05:55 PM   #198
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezel11
hey guys

i have an 11 335d with 75xxx miles

ive began to notice an increase in the idle (getting rougher) on cold starts which seems to rattle the dash a bit (im aware I have carbon build up probably contributing to this)

now my car isnt throwing any ses light or fault codes

ive noticed this morning the idle roughness almost seemed to be swaying left to right this morning

if I take it to the dealer, is there anything they can do without the lights being thrown or would they not be able to see anything?

thanks
Could also be engine mounts
Appreciate 0