E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Private Owners For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Parts > Borla single-muffler catback for 335i (N54)

Closed Thread

10-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
Alpha_Onion
Modaholic/Torque-Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i (silver)

Borla single-muffler catback for 335i (N54)

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
USD 1,000.00

Item Interest
I have a brand new (still in original box, sealed) Borla single-muffler catback exhaust system for the 335i with N54 (twin-turbo) engine. Believe it or not, I ordered one of these catbacks online and the seller sent me two of them by mistake. So I installed the first one on my car and I'm looking to sell the second.

This particular exhaust is on heavy backorder at the Borla factory right now, so it's almost impossible to find a seller who has it in stock. I had to wait 3 months before it shipped. After installing it, I am extremely happy with the power and the sound. It has a throaty growl now, but it's not so loud that it's obnoxious like the dual straight-through style mufflers, even though it removes the resonator. I'm glad that I spent the extra time and money on this particular model. In fact, this is the same catback that Mr. 5 chose for his 335i setup, and he seemed to like it alot.

The MSRP for this part is approximately $1300, but I think $1000 is fair since I got it for free anyway. I have included pictures and specs below.

Borla part #140246
Applicable vehicles: 2007-2010 BMW 335i/335xi
Pipe diameter: 2.5"
Tip diameter: 3.5"
Power gains: 30HP, 10 ft/lbs torque
Weight savings over OEM exhaust: 26 lbs

Quote:
HP Autowerks, Inc's 2007 E90 335i was the test bed for the Borla cat back stainless steel exhaust. The prototype was completed and tested last Friday. The first production model is currently on our vehicle. Full release of this system may still be weeks away, but we will keep you guys posted. The system consists of two sections, a built-in X-pipe mid section and a rear muffler. See photos below...

The exhaust tone is a little bit deeper than stock. Now, you can actually hear the exhaust, but just a hint of it. There is no resonance with this exhaust at any engine rpm or load. For those of you who is not a big fan of loud and annoy resonant exhausts, but still want significant performance gains, this Borla is for you! Did We forget to mention weight savings? We will post the numbers as soon as the Borla engineers release the information to us.

Today we dyno the Borla cat back and compared it against our baseline numbers. Dyno runs were done on Dynojet with no cool downs in between runs, BMW seem to like it hot, and our E90 was no exception. Our E90 335i has just over 2000 miles on the clock, easy break-in until 1000 miles, and oil was changed with Redline 5W40 full synthetic motor oil.

Baseline: Max Power = 249.47 Max Torque=290.54

With Borla Cat. back: Max Power = 280.94 Max Torque = 300.09

Wow!!! A gain of over 30 HP!!! With almost 10 ft lbs of torque to boot! And it was almost 20 degrees warmer today!

During the same dyno session, we installed a HP Autowerks custom tri-foam high-flow air filter element. Yes, just a drop in replacement, anyone can do it in less than a minute. Okay, maybe two! Without time to allow the computer to learn and adapt to the added airflow provided by the new high-flow air filter element, the number kept on climbing on the dyno with each pull, on the third pull we got...

Borla with HP's Filter: Max Power = 284.24 Max Torque = 300.72

Nearly a 4 HP gain at the wheels just by replacing the stock paper air filter element with HP's custom high-flow filter. We are sure the numbers will be slightly higher if there was more time for the computer to learn and adapt to the added airflow. A custom CF airbox lid is in the works to improve airflow and volume further, so stay tuned!!!

Please feel free to contact us with any questions you may have. We will post the release date as soon as we know and start taking pre-orders at that time. If you are in Santa Barbara, feel free to stop by our shop at 515 Fig Avenue and have a look at the Borla exhaust for yourself!

High-flow tri-foam replacement air filters are available now with two to three weeks production time, as each filter is hand-made.

E92 335i version of the Borla exhaust should net very similar results.

10-29-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
surf2727
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

30hp??
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

It would be beneficial if you post links to some sound clips. There is at least one other type of Borla exhaust for the 335 and it looks like most of the clips on youtube include that one, not yours.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
Alpha_Onion
Modaholic/Torque-Junkie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf2727 View Post
30hp??
HP Autowerks did a detailed review of this exhaust which can be found on the BimmerFest forums. I posted a link to that review right under the specs, and I would recommend looking at it since there's alot of info and pics. The specs aren't from me, I got them from that review.
      10-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
Alpha_Onion
Modaholic/Torque-Junkie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
It would be beneficial if you post links to some sound clips. There is at least one other type of Borla exhaust for the 335 and it looks like most of the clips on youtube include that one, not yours.
This is the only sound clip I can find of the single-muffler version. This video was also done by HP Autowerks, so it goes along with the review I linked to.

10-30-2013, 12:19 AM   #6
tturbolife
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Maybe you should let the seller know of their mistake instead of trying to STEAL from them AND profit from it!
      10-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #7
Alpha_Onion
Modaholic/Torque-Junkie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturbolife
Maybe you should let the seller know of their mistake instead of trying to STEAL from them AND profit from it!
I really do appreciate you accusing me of felony theft, believe me I do. However, what you don't know is that I've sent the seller at least 5 messages in the 6 months that this box has been sitting in my garage, but haven't gotten a single response. So if you ask me, I think I'm morally in the clear here.
      10-31-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
tturbolife
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Onion View Post
I really do appreciate you accusing me of felony theft, believe me I do. However, what you don't know is that I've sent the seller at least 5 messages in the 6 months that this box has been sitting in my garage, but haven't gotten a single response. So if you ask me, I think I'm morally in the clear here.
well you should have put that in the OP, instead of just saying "oh they accidently sent me two so i'm going to sell one"
      11-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #9
Chris_506
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Onion View Post
Yeaaaaaaaa right, have you called them?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread