E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > are tuning boxes detectable

12-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #23
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Guess its between a DTUK and a switchable map. Most likely DTUK as its cheaper and i've had it before, plus now some feedback noted re bluefin
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 05:34 AM   #24
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
bought a tunit for the 335d just wanted to raise the output in line with the updated engine ie 313 and 465, went for the tunit as it can be altered to almost exactly those figures. I was going to wait until it had its first service which I paid for on the 3 or 5 year service plan, I drive says it needs servicing in 3700 miles but bmw say they wont do it until 1000 miles before the 3700 is up. so do I wait another 3 months to fit the box, id like to do it now but don't really want the hassle of removing it when the car is serviced or should I risk and leave it on. the o on the box apparently makes no difference to the standard power.
I'd wait and get the first service out of the way.
Any half decent technician will see the Tunit box at service time, and your car will get flagged as being modified.
The notification (modified) on the car has the potential to cause headaches should you need any warranty work carried out within the warranty period.

Quote:
I believe hotcoupe had 363 from his remap
It did run 363 on the dyno Jeff, however that wasn't just down to the remap,the car had a straight thru exhaust which contributed approx 18 horses to the overall 363 BHP.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 07:50 AM   #25
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

I used to be at a Superchips franchise, I don't like them, many of our customers said they couldn't feel any difference and asked for a refund and Superchips used to really drag their heels giving it, very annoying.
In the end someone with a Rangey had real problems with limp mode and wanted his money back and they refused, said it was nothing to do with the map, we agreed to refund him and remove the map and his car was back to normal, no more limp mode, even after this Superchips still refused to refund us back. So we stopped doing Superchips remaps.

Also, they don't roll back the ecu counter, this is remap rule number one imho.
Plug in a bluefin into a VW/Audi and put the map on, then plug vag com in, the ecu counter has gone up by one, then take it off and it goes up again.
Same with the BMW online system, they know how many times the ecu should have been adapted and when it doesn't match it will show in Germany.
It can be nothing else other than a remap.

Tuning boxes also leave a trace, figures that couldn't be anything else, but to be honest, unless they are looking for it they won't see anything, but if you have a turbo go pop you can't expect them to cover it hen they see a box has been on there. If you are a good lair you can just deny it, they need you to admit you had one on there to reject a claim, just that most people do admit it.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 08:17 AM   #26
Black Steel
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 320D (184) M Sport Saloon

Hi, I'm new to BM's and have just bought a (E90) 320D M Sport.

I'm quite impressed with the existing power output (184bhp).

However, I've been toying with the idea of a remap or tuning box?

I've been reading all the pro's and con's, seems there's slightly more pro's to having a remap done rather than a tuning box fitted (if you can afford the higher price of a remap, that is?).

Imo what ever way you decide to go, you should get your motor put on a rolling road 'before' and 'after' as it's nice to know exactly what the engine has been and is producing.

There's still one thing that does bother me somewhat, the stories of turbo's blowing, tbh all this tuning and still using the standard turbo?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 08:52 AM   #27
Jase 320d
Wheelbarrow Edition
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Arctic 320d

The turbo issue is apparently the 163bhp older model

So your turbo will be fine

The new n47 engine's main issue is timing chain failure
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 11:38 AM   #28
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
I'd wait and get the first service out of the way.
Any half decent technician will see the Tunit box at service time, and your car will get flagged as being modified.
The notification (modified) on the car has the potential to cause headaches should you need any warranty work carried out within the warranty period.

It did run 363 on the dyno Jeff, however that wasn't just down to the remap,the car had a straight thru exhaust which contributed approx 18 horses to the overall 363 BHP.
that was my intention, and asked bmw if they could do the service early as the car will be off the road a while when I have my back done but they say under the service agreement they cant do it unless the car has done 1000 before the service is due and its now at 3700 so im thinking to fit the box and then remove it. ive just had a look at it and it seems fairly easy to get at even without taking the engine cover right off. good to hear from you.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 11:41 AM   #29
Black Steel
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 320D (184) M Sport Saloon

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase 320d View Post
The turbo issue is apparently the 163bhp older model

So your turbo will be fine

The new n47 engine's main issue is timing chain failure

Thx, that's good to know.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 03:12 PM   #30
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep

well couldn't resist so fitted it tonight took about 20 minutes so removing it for service is no problem, will give the car a run tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 10:12 AM   #31
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep

bloody typical now the car is 2 years old the red urgent service light has come on so have to remove the tunit what a PITA, sod law strikes again. bmw say its just an oil and microfilter change and they will do it while I wait so am wondering if I could just hide the box?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 10:50 AM   #32
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

It takes about 2 minutes to remove it, why risk it?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 11:43 AM   #33
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
bloody typical now the car is 2 years old the red urgent service light has come on so have to remove the tunit what a PITA, sod law strikes again. bmw say its just an oil and microfilter change and they will do it while I wait so am wondering if I could just hide the box?
Were it me, I'd be pissed off if it was discovered.

I'd also be pissed off it it wasn't discovered, as it would mean that the technician shouldn't have been anywhere near your car to start with!

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 12:03 PM   #34
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
If you leave it on, they will see it through the diagnostics...

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 04:40 PM   #35
335DEE
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT

+1 on the superchips .. I had the bluefin on my Focus ST and e90 330d and it was great .. faultless on both cars. When I bought the 335d i got SC to send me the map for the 335d ( after coughing up a couple of hundred)

What a horrible experience , the car would judder mid range and generally felt like it was misfiring , fuelling issue . I'm guessing that the car SC used to generate the standard map was guff because there are a fair few bods out there who seem to have issues with the SC 335d map

I went back to them several times , each time they adjusted something on the map and sent it back. Eventually they got rid of the juddering but they messed around with the map so much no one knew what was going on. I even offered to travel to them several times to put my car on their rollers and sort it out. Each time they came up with some naff and transparently shit excuse.

The only lingering issue with the map was that the car would safe mode at 140 mph+ After taking it to ecotune , it was diagnosed the issue as the torque request figures were so large the system didn't know what to do with the values hence safe mode.

Suffice to say the BF controller is gathering dust in the corner
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 11:51 AM   #36
Havana
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 N52 - Individual

+1 for DTUK, also a big plus that it's transferable to subsequent vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 12:17 PM   #37
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335DEE View Post
+1 on the superchips .. I had the bluefin on my Focus ST and e90 330d and it was great .. faultless on both cars. When I bought the 335d i got SC to send me the map for the 335d ( after coughing up a couple of hundred)

What a horrible experience , the car would judder mid range and generally felt like it was misfiring , fuelling issue . I'm guessing that the car SC used to generate the standard map was guff because there are a fair few bods out there who seem to have issues with the SC 335d map

I went back to them several times , each time they adjusted something on the map and sent it back. Eventually they got rid of the juddering but they messed around with the map so much no one knew what was going on. I even offered to travel to them several times to put my car on their rollers and sort it out. Each time they came up with some naff and transparently shit excuse.

The only lingering issue with the map was that the car would safe mode at 140 mph+ After taking it to ecotune , it was diagnosed the issue as the torque request figures were so large the system didn't know what to do with the values hence safe mode.

Suffice to say the BF controller is gathering dust in the corner
This was like my experience - good on one car, horrible on another. I will not be going back.
Appreciate 0