E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Water Spots on Jet Black

03-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Water Spots on Jet Black

Man, I keep my car immaculate and still get water spots everywhere!

They are only visible in very bright sunlight at certain angles, but they do bother me. I know I can polish them away, but is there an easier way to minimize or get rid of them?

I hardly ever drive my car in the rain and it's always garaged except during work hours. I think the 2-3 times it's rained and then become sunny, the water spots have appeared. It's like there is no way around it.

I wash weekly w/ 2 bucket method, dry with microfiber, and protect with Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant every few months.

Is this just he nature of the beast with jet black? It's like why even get them out if the next time it rains, they'll be back again?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Precisely why i sold JB and bought AW. It's a losing battle bro - I could never keep it clean for more than a day or two
      03-20-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Sorry to hear about that problem. Obviously the black paint can get warm very fast so it is more challenging with this color. The water marks are more commonly from hose water versus rain because of the mineral deposits you'll find in water at your home. I generally wash extremely fast and rinse every 1 - 2 minutes to keep the paint cool even on days with limited sunlight and lower temps. Applying a wax on top will help add more protection like the Blackfire Midnight Sun Carnauba Paste Wax.

An easier way to spot treat lighter etchings is with the Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. Also don't forget we have 25% off through 3/23 with the coupon code Spring11.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 07:15 AM   #4
clairvoyant
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Manure Wagon (BMW)

Garage List
2007 335i  [5.24]
Question

I am on the same desperation boat so I decide to buy cquartz http://cquartz.com/.
I haven't tried yet due to the weather but I am just wondering if anyone here has tried.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Man, I keep my car immaculate and still get water spots everywhere!

They are only visible in very bright sunlight at certain angles, but they do bother me. I know I can polish them away, but is there an easier way to minimize or get rid of them?

I hardly ever drive my car in the rain and it's always garaged except during work hours. I think the 2-3 times it's rained and then become sunny, the water spots have appeared. It's like there is no way around it.

I wash weekly w/ 2 bucket method, dry with microfiber, and protect with Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant every few months.

Is this just he nature of the beast with jet black? It's like why even get them out if the next time it rains, they'll be back again?

I feel your pain as I have jet black as well. It's pretty much the nature of the beast. Imperfections, water spots, scratches, etc... will be far more noticeable on a black car compared to a white or silver one. I hate it when I have a nicely washed car and after only a day or two of driving it, it'll rain for just one day. Since a light layer of dust from the driving covered the car, I end up with all these water spots and need to wash it again.

I don't bother trying to quickdetail my car after one day of rain as I don't want to risk scratching the paint. What I usually do is to make sure I have a good layer of wax on the paint so that washing/drying the car is a little easier. Hopefully better weather is right around the corner so that I can do a full detail on my car in time for spring/summer
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I know detailing in and out and could not save my JB car from waterspots I even bought the car brand new and told the dealer not wash it in hopes of being one step ahead of the game. I tried all the tricks of the trade, and all the best sealants on the market after a good polish with no success.

The paint is just too soft and it requires heavy maintenance.

Either start buffing or stop looking LOL
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #7
henry418
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Yup even for BSM, there's water spots after rain...
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #8
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Yeah, thanks for the advice guys. My car was purchased brand new and only the best of treatment to the paint leaves me with little reward. I don't really have swirls, but the water spots seem basically unavoidable. I could spend hours polishing or applying products to remove them, but they literally will come back after the first rain. I noticed them almost immediately upon purchasing the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #9
Greg Nichols
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: CAR

A coating sealant might help with the etching of the water spots, thus saving you some issues.

There is a product called Opti Coat its a coating that will last for over 3 years, you can spray APC on the coating and it won't come off. You will need to find a pro that is certified to apply it......where are you located? This coating is harder than JB paint, so it just might help. I have a client I want to use it on, just waiting for the weather to clear up and warm up. http://www.optimumcarcare.com/ contact the company and ask for someone in your area........if you are near Utah I'm able to help you.

Cheers,
GREG
      03-24-2011, 12:01 AM   #10
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [7.00]
you can say that jb is hard to keep clean