E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > What wheels are best?

12-06-2012, 06:31 AM   #1
3series-20
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i x drive

What wheels are best?

I have a 2010 335xi and I am looking to replace the stock rims. I have looked around but find that you either pay ungodly amounts of money and get wheels from bmw or you take a risk and buy something less expensive that may or may not be good quality. Any suggestions. I am also planning on putting coilovers in as well. Finally I have run flats from the dealership. Should I keep those and put them on the new rims or get new tires as well??
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Watch the for sale forums.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
Eugeinus
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' Audi A6

A lot of vendors here also sell great wheels that are far less expensive than BMW OEM's with comparable quality. like AWD said above, another great place to look is the local FS forums.
      02-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
pratan158
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3series-20
I have a 2010 335xi and I am looking to replace the stock rims. I have looked around but find that you either pay ungodly amounts of money and get wheels from bmw or you take a risk and buy something less expensive that may or may not be good quality. Any suggestions. I am also planning on putting coilovers in as well. Finally I have run flats from the dealership. Should I keep those and put them on the new rims or get new tires as well??
Advan rs-d like me!!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
Kalidian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW '09 E90 328xi

As said above, watch the classifieds and keep an eye out. Also check out Tire Rack website directly to see what they have - there's a lot of options so you can look and decide what style/size/colour you want. And use the "view on vehicle" feature. It's handy.

As for quality concerns, it's all about research. Find reviews, find out how the wheels are cast/constructed. As with all things in our cars, you get what you pay for.

And I think the general consensus is, non RFT's are preferable. It's riskier in that if* you get a flat (knock on wood) you'll need a spare or a tire patching kit/compressor or a AAA membership, but non RFT's ride a lot more comfortably and I think they're less expensive too with more flexibility in size and brand options.

Chances are either way the RFT's you have now wont fit on the new rims you pick out. Unless you pick something that's the same diameter and width as your current OEM rims, so you'll probably end up getting new rubber as well with the new wheels.

There's a LOT of options out there. It's all about reading and research. Get an idea of what style and size you want first and go from there.

edit: forgot to mention since we have xdrive cars, when picking out new wheels/tires it's important to keep in mind the front and rear total/rolling diameters have to be pretty much the same (within 1% difference). Only really an issue if you go for a staggered setup, and it's easy enough to calculate, also later if you're unsure you can always just ask. Always helpful people here.

Last edited by Kalidian; 02-13-2013 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
mathetas
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalidian View Post
edit: forgot to mention since we have xdrive cars, when picking out new wheels/tires it's important to keep in mind the front and rear total/rolling diameters have to be pretty much the same (within 1% difference). Only really an issue if you go for a staggered setup, and it's easy enough to calculate, also later if you're unsure you can always just ask. Always helpful people here.
+1... Great Advice
Appreciate 0