E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Check engine light.....help!!!

11-22-2014, 08:07 PM   #1
9iron
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04 WRX

Check engine light.....help!!!

Left for work this morning and the car started and idled very rough. Halfway down the block the check engine light popped on and the car was running very rough (very mild shaking). The engine sounded like crap (almost like an old diesel engine) and lacked power.

My car is an '08 328i and has ~92k miles. It still has the original plugs and i know my valve cover gasket is leaking a little.

1. Is it OK to drive the car 20 miles to the dealer like this???
2. What do you think the problem could be?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 09:03 PM   #2
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Most probably, the leaking valve cover gasket let oil sip into the spark plugs wells, or the timing sensor, flooded them and provokes a malfunction in the ignition system (either by damaging the rubber of the coil sticks, or by sipping into the sensor wires).

Could also be a host of other things, but IMO none would prevent you from limping to the dealership.
Appreciate 0