E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Help regarding lease timing

10-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
ksparks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Help regarding lease timing

Ok.. Here is my story...

My lease on my 3 series is finished at the end of December. When I went to BMW about a few weeks ago to do another lease, they told me the car would be built in mid-november. I was concerned that if it takes 6-8 weeks to build and ship, I would be without a car. The salesperson then said she would move the production up, so I will not be without a car. She calls me a few days later and tells me production will start the following week.

My car is sitting at the port right now, awaiting a vessel. I am concerned that I will have this car within the 3-4 weeks, and will have to make 2 lease payments. I did not want to be without a car, but I also do not want to make double lease payments. Also, the thought of leaving the new car at the dealership does not sit well with me. I do not want this to go out on test drives or potentially sold to someone else.

Is this a dealership issue, a BMWNA issue, or am I just screwed if the new car comes way early?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
Sp82
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5/G30 5er

I'm in the same situation except I'll have one payment left... my lease is up the last week of Dec.

My 2010 335 is currently on a ship, due to dock in Brunswick on 11/1...so the car should be at the dealer by the week of 11/8... I'll only have one payment left, which I will be trying to get the dealer to take (but per my CA--that will be hard, as they are selling the car to me at pretty much invoice)..I'm not sure what I'm going to do..probably try to pull something...I'm hoping BMW has some sort of "Pull Ahead" program going on then...anyone with advice? input?..please share.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
ksparks
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikz View Post
I'm in the same situation except I'll have one payment left... my lease is up the last week of Dec.

My 2010 335 is currently on a ship, due to dock in Brunswick on 11/1...so the car should be at the dealer by the week of 11/8... I'll only have one payment left, which I will be trying to get the dealer to take (but per my CA--that will be hard, as they are selling the car to me at pretty much invoice)..I'm not sure what I'm going to do..probably try to pull something...I'm hoping BMW has some sort of "Pull Ahead" program going on then...anyone with advice? input?..please share.

even if you hand the car back in early december, it's like leaving money on the table. I'm pretty annoyed because I told them I want the car rougly 2 weeks before my turn in. (Give or take 2 weeks in either direction.) I think that was a pretty fair request to give a 30 day window of when I wanted to take delivery.

If I get the call the before my last payment is made on my current car, I will be less than satisfied.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 02:33 AM   #4
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I don't know what dealerships you guys are dealing with but most will forgive 1 or 2 payments at the end of your lease to get you in another car....
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
IrvRobinson
Banned
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksparks View Post
even if you hand the car back in early december, it's like leaving money on the table. I'm pretty annoyed because I told them I want the car rougly 2 weeks before my turn in. (Give or take 2 weeks in either direction.) I think that was a pretty fair request to give a 30 day window of when I wanted to take delivery.

If I get the call the before my last payment is made on my current car, I will be less than satisfied.

Cars take 14 days to cross and about 3-5 days afterward to reach the east coast,south and central region.ED cars need to go through customs,so you need to add another 10 days to 2 weeks for arrival at the dealer,add two weeks for west coast cars.The dealer should hold your car until it's time for you to p/u,if it's a sold car,no one should be able to drive it for any reason.Ask your CA to hold both sets of keys and you'll be fine...Congrats !
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
ksparks
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by index1489 View Post
I don't know what dealerships you guys are dealing with but most will forgive 1 or 2 payments at the end of your lease to get you in another car....
yea, if they are making enough off the deal to do that. With a $500-1000 over invoice including all fees, that would be asking them to sell the car below invoice... now the question I ask you, is what dealerships are you going to?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 01:48 PM   #7
ksparks
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrvRobinson View Post
Cars take 14 days to cross and about 3-5 days afterward to reach the east coast,south and central region.ED cars need to go through customs,so you need to add another 10 days to 2 weeks for arrival at the dealer,add two weeks for west coast cars.The dealer should hold your car until it's time for you to p/u,if it's a sold car,no one should be able to drive it for any reason.Ask your CA to hold both sets of keys and you'll be fine...Congrats !
thanks Irv, I called my CA she said if the car comes in early, she said I can come in take a look at it etc etc... she said she will hold the keys and the car will get stored for the few weeks. She said that it will not get moved until the time it is prepped.

quick question, is it really a sold car? I left my deposit and signed paperwork, but I was under the impression that it wasnt finished until I took delivery etc etc

thanks for your time
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 02:53 PM   #8
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

A car that's held is essentially sold. I don't think it's possible for anyone to go buy it, regardless of what they offer. You've already signed the papers.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 04:07 PM   #9
Sp82
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5/G30 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksparks View Post
yea, if they are making enough off the deal to do that. With a $500-1000 over invoice including all fees, that would be asking them to sell the car below invoice... now the question I ask you, is what dealerships are you going to?
good one.....and thats why my dealer said it will be difficult for them to do that...my car is being sold to me at I believe $500 over invoice.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 08:19 PM   #10
anowlan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330e

See if the dealer will buy your car

I'm in the same boat. My 335d will arrive a day after my last lease payment is due on my 335i. I'm 2400 miles over. ($480) The rear tires are below spec ($500 for the pair) and the front bumper cover is torn underneath. ($450) so all told I'd owe about $1500 at lease turn-in. My CA asked me to bring the car by for them to look at. It appraised at the buyout, meaning I'll get my security deposit back if I trade in, or if I did lease turn-in would owe another $700 at that time. So see if BMW will take your car in on trade. I'm walking away WITH my security deposit at the exchange; if I kept my car for another 4 weeks I'd owe $700.

Last edited by anowlan; 11-10-2009 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 0