E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Neil Degrasse Tyson is an asshole.

08-02-2016, 09:35 AM   #23
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundelObsession View Post

Okay seen him before, but never knew his name, and generally do not listen to him. There are far better scientist to listen to who get it and can explain things better than this guy.

Last edited by Maestro; 08-02-2016 at 01:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 09:38 AM   #24
OutlawX3M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP. 2020 BMW X3M

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
IDK, like him or hate him (I think I know where the OP falls) here's a guy working a job that's not cool, doesn't pay a lot and yet has managed to make himself a household name and rake in a nice pay check. Bully for him! He's like the Howard Stern of physics.

Now if he could just compare the phases of the moon is like a Victoria's Secret model's ass . . . I'd be entertained and educated in one video!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 10:08 AM   #25
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
I'm sick of this guy being the yardstick for scientific intelligence. Day after day my Facebook feed is overrun with stock photos of stars and galaxies with a Tyson quote tacked on for all of his acolytes to repost. NDT is among the most holier-than-thou, pedantic assholes on the face of this earth.

NDT is like a science bully. Constantly criticizing and taking the fun out of everything just to flex his muscles and remind everyone how smart he is. He'd rather explain the inaccuracies of a joke than just laugh at it. Movies are his favorite thing to slam, such as his criticisms on "Gravity" and the star patterns on "Titanic." He went on John Stewart and among the first things he said was "you know, your globe is spinning the wrong way." Wow, good to know Neil! You condescending son of a bitch. It's almost as if we watch movies and television to be entertained and not to be educated on the intricate workings of the fucking universe. Your pedantry isn't impressing anyone, in fact it annoys people when you take the fun out of their entertainment just for the sake of asserting your mental superiority over them.

Not only is this annoying, but it's also misinforming people. He's garbage outside of his extremely niche field, and now-you-know Neil won't admit it. A while ago he tweeted about how if sex wasn't pleasant then mammals wouldn't copulate and would therefore go extinct. Immediately put to shame by Biologists who kindly reminded him that many animals have painful sex, or have sex solely for the purpose of procreation. My favorite manifestation of this was when he criticized the BB-8 droid from the new Star Wars movie: "BB-8, a smooth rolling metal spherical ball, would have skidded uncontrollably on sand." Except that it was a real robot, on real sand, which really rolled along without skidding uncontrollably. What do you think about that Neil? Nevermind that we are talking about a science FICTION film in the first place, where -holy shit- some of the elements are exaggerated or wholly fictitious for the sake of entertainment. Go back to your dark little lab where your tedious corrections are appreciated and just let us have our fun please.
There's a lot of first world problem in this post.

It's fairly well known that he is, in fact, an asshole in real life.

EDIT: ...ok which one of you guys posted this as a TIL on Reddit?

Last edited by fecurtis; 08-02-2016 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2016, 10:52 AM   #26
bodega_bladerunner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zugzwang
What about those that believe the earth is flat?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 10:54 AM   #27
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenc51 View Post
Idiots! There are mountains and lakes and stuff... flat... pfft.
Mr Tonka6058.00
      08-02-2016, 10:54 AM   #28
bodega_bladerunner
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenc51 View Post
Idiots! There are mountains and lakes and stuff... flat... pfft.
I LOL'd
Appreciate 1
jtodd_fl6703.50
      08-02-2016, 10:55 AM   #29
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

NDT is smarter than 99.9% of people on Earth, including you.

He's also an entertainer and can't be right 100% of the time. He jokes around a lot for effect. His comments about sex or a Star Wars movies are not really in his field of expertise and just for entertainment value.
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2016, 11:23 AM   #30
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
I'm sick of this guy being the yardstick for scientific intelligence. Day after day my Facebook feed is overrun with stock photos of stars and galaxies with a Tyson quote tacked on for all of his acolytes to repost. NDT is among the most holier-than-thou, pedantic assholes on the face of this earth.

NDT is like a science bully. Constantly criticizing and taking the fun out of everything just to flex his muscles and remind everyone how smart he is. He'd rather explain the inaccuracies of a joke than just laugh at it. Movies are his favorite thing to slam, such as his criticisms on "Gravity" and the star patterns on "Titanic." He went on John Stewart and among the first things he said was "you know, your globe is spinning the wrong way." Wow, good to know Neil! You condescending son of a bitch. It's almost as if we watch movies and television to be entertained and not to be educated on the intricate workings of the fucking universe. Your pedantry isn't impressing anyone, in fact it annoys people when you take the fun out of their entertainment just for the sake of asserting your mental superiority over them.

Not only is this annoying, but it's also misinforming people. He's garbage outside of his extremely niche field, and now-you-know Neil won't admit it. A while ago he tweeted about how if sex wasn't pleasant then mammals wouldn't copulate and would therefore go extinct. Immediately put to shame by Biologists who kindly reminded him that many animals have painful sex, or have sex solely for the purpose of procreation. My favorite manifestation of this was when he criticized the BB-8 droid from the new Star Wars movie: "BB-8, a smooth rolling metal spherical ball, would have skidded uncontrollably on sand." Except that it was a real robot, on real sand, which really rolled along without skidding uncontrollably. What do you think about that Neil? Nevermind that we are talking about a science FICTION film in the first place, where -holy shit- some of the elements are exaggerated or wholly fictitious for the sake of entertainment. Go back to your dark little lab where your tedious corrections are appreciated and just let us have our fun please.
GREAT FUCKIN" RANT GUY!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 11:28 AM   #31
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep

I have one rebuttal asshole for you.....David Suzuki. In the great white north he is the CBC's boy wonder. Telling us all about climate change and how we're all destroying the planet and the climate. His area of expertise. Zoology. Granted he has a Phd. but I'm so sick of this nitwit telling me how bad I am, when he's flying all over the world doing it and owning several enormous homes. My point is, practice what you preach bitch.
Appreciate 2
      08-02-2016, 11:55 AM   #32
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

How can you globally warm a flat planet??????
Appreciate 1
Alfisti6496.00
      08-02-2016, 11:57 AM   #33
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
GREAT FUCKIN" RANT GUY!
I'm not your guy, friend.
Appreciate 3
fravel1644.50
Taskmaster2465.00
      08-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #34
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
calm down, my friend
Appreciate 1
Taskmaster2465.00
      08-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #35
RoundelObsession
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: S65M3

Quote:
So your his girl? Or are you gender neutral?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 12:03 PM   #36
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundelObsession View Post
So your his girl? Or are you gender neutral?
Reference:

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 12:37 PM   #37
bodega_bladerunner
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede
The flat earther argument is that no one has successfully measured the curvature of the earth.
:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 12:50 PM   #38
Irishsig
In Hoc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 6MT MG/SO

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
      08-02-2016, 12:51 PM   #39
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD31 View Post
Totally agree. I hated the new Cosmos series with NDT.

And don't get me started on his support of removing Pluto as a planet.

Back in my day we had 9 planets and we loved it, now get off my lawn!!!
even if pluto isn't we still have nine planets so you'll be fine! Supposedly it's orbit take about 2500 years to rotate and it is coming soon.

An ancient civilization depicted our current solar system (sun, nine planets in the correct order and size of each planet) plus the 10th! We're doomed! lol

(I still don't get how they drew the solar system correctly 6000 years ago though)

08-02-2016, 01:00 PM   #40
porshah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4, R8, Huracan - All topdown

Garage List
I think NDT is a forum member here. Can't wait for him to correct all of our comments. On second thought, he probably drives a Prius or Tesla.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 01:40 PM   #41
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I guess you're not. Where I come from "guy" isn't anything to be offended by, it's what we call a friend. Guess we're not friends either.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 01:41 PM   #42
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess you're not. Where I come from "guy" isn't anything to be offended by, it's what we call a friend. Guess we're not friends either.
Relax, it's from a South Park clip that was poking fun at Canada. I posted the scene later.
Appreciate 1
Taskmaster2465.00
      08-02-2016, 01:48 PM   #43
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
I have one rebuttal asshole for you.....David Suzuki. In the great white north he is the CBC's boy wonder. Telling us all about climate change and how we're all destroying the planet and the climate. His area of expertise. Zoology. Granted he has a Phd. but I'm so sick of this nitwit telling me how bad I am, when he's flying all over the world doing it and owning several enormous homes. My point is, practice what you preach bitch.

I grew up on the east coast and most of us at that time were not big on saving anything. I moved to Calif in my 20's and found myself amount tree hugger and save the baby seal types. I could not believe how many people had some sort of cause they were fighting for to the point I felt bad I did not have cause. So I recycles like crazy even today my recycle can goes out to the curb twice as much as the garbage. However, what I really learn in Calif is most people want to save everything under the sun but never realize they are part of the problem. They were really good at telling everyone how bad they were and they should change. I finally started tell these people when they are naked in the woods and living off the land then maybe I would listen to them. The mere fact they are here and surviving off everyone else means the impact the earth just like all of us.

I personally wish the discovery channel would use these save the earth types and put them on Naked and Afraid and see how long they last verse using so call trained survivalist. All these people like telling us how we should live but they would all be dead if they did not have modern conveniences.
Appreciate 2
      08-02-2016, 02:02 PM   #44
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
With a flat sun, obviously.
Appreciate 0