E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > test drive weekend

06-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
grappler26
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d Msport black

test drive weekend

evening all! Well i think that`s it, sadly time to go. Problem is, what next?

Love the car, but do i want the risk of engine probs on another, hmmm

Advice would be appreciated, as i `m thinking diesel. Had a go in a 335d, very

nice, but for the sake of economy,tax etc, i`m giving the 330d serious thought.

beforei have a go in one, what are you thoughts on performance and throttle

response compared to mine, and is it far away from the 335d to notice?

Others i`m having a go in are the TT tfsi DSG and the TTS. The former seems tohave good low-down torque and quatrro for the winter, anyone any experience here?don`t think the `S`is worth the extra. do fancya 330 though......thanks chaps.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 02:43 AM   #2
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

I can only contribute in terms of the TTS which I have driven on many occasions and can directly compare it my 330i M Sport saloon.

Ride: Excellent, nice and tight and good flatness through cornering. Great stability, very confidence inspiring. Stiff suspension but well damped.

Cabin: Excellent, nicer materials to the touch, Looks a bit more classy and showy, definately looks like it will stand the test of time better than the BM.

Engine: It's raspy and eager, feels suited to the car. But ultimately it is only a 4 pot, albeit with F.I. Depending on how you drive it, coming from your 335i It'll prob suit you as nearly all the torque is fairly low down and hence if your shifting about 1-1.5k below redline then the powerband is nice and linear through the gears.

Economy: N/A

Obviously all the above is subjective, and we could discuss the looks of the TTS but you didnt request that.

In comparisson to the Straight 6 N/A engine, I think the TTS severly lacks here. the Audi produces driving enjoyment in a completely different way. The performance is there and without question its a quick and effective road tool and if your frills come from effecient quick driving then this is certainly a good choice. It will easily keep up with the BM and sometimes out perform it. But where the E90 excels in is steering feel, (if this is does exist anymore). The steering is much more meatier and weighted in comparison to the TTS light and very chuckable go karty feel. I find turn in is much sharper in the BM, allowing for better mid corner correction through steering inputs, I guess what im saying is the BM gives more feedback. When pushing on the straight 6 howls and aurally it is more involving, again mid corner, lines are easily chosen by throtlle response and the rear end can kick out with a sharp probe producing an almost sensory overload compared to the clinical ride of the TTS.

It all depends really on your driving style. If you asked me which car I would have I would choose mine, If you asked my friend which he would have he would say the TTS (he came from an 57plate S3), What I like most about his car, the cabin and excellent Dampers. What he likes most about mine..... That N/A Straight 6.

good luck with the car hunt.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 03:56 AM   #3
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by grappler26 View Post
evening all! Well i think that`s it, sadly time to go. Problem is, what next?

Love the car, but do i want the risk of engine probs on another, hmmm

Advice would be appreciated, as i `m thinking diesel. Had a go in a 335d, very

nice, but for the sake of economy,tax etc, i`m giving the 330d serious thought.

beforei have a go in one, what are you thoughts on performance and throttle

response compared to mine, and is it far away from the 335d to notice?

Others i`m having a go in are the TT tfsi DSG and the TTS. The former seems tohave good low-down torque and quatrro for the winter, anyone any experience here?don`t think the `S`is worth the extra. do fancya 330 though......thanks chaps.

ohh you mentioned engine problems?....do u mind telling us?....

Plus one on what Polite says about the TTS....will add some more later on....
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

There is a noticeable difference 330d vs 335d. I think the best way to describe it is that a 335d when in D(rive) is like a 330d in DS below 30mph. From 30-100mph there is very little difference. Above 100mph there is a noticeable difference again.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
and yes, if you're choising between a normal TT and the TTS...Definitely the TTS!....they're very fast car off the line in manual and feel very light!...different driving experience, will you get...

A 335d will give you so much torque from low rev that you will be planted in ur seat!...whereas in the TTS, you need to rev it up beyond 3/4k rpm to get it to come alive!...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
grappler26
Enlisted Member
Rep

test drive reply

Thank you so much for all your inputs. Guess the main reson for even considering an Audi product is the 4WD, but then i have never used winters
on mine, so that probably answers the question right there, put winters on
when necessary and enjoy the more immediate torque of a 330/335d.
did drive a TTS once and found it lacklustre compared to the immediate
ballistic response on the throttle of mine. t he tfsi tt has the same torque as the S, but starting earlier, which suits my type of driving, but then so does a 335! food for thought, probably try out the D`s. thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishang View Post
There is a noticeable difference 330d vs 335d. I think the best way to describe it is that a 335d when in D(rive) is like a 330d in DS below 30mph. From 30-100mph there is very little difference. Above 100mph there is a noticeable difference again.
I can't see how 1.5+ seconds is "very little difference".....
      06-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #8
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

And I cannot see how a TT is a 'drivers car'.

I thought it was as dull as....

a golf?
      06-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
grappler26
Enlisted Member
Rep

mind made up

that`s it then, i`m aimimg for a 330d, as it ticks most of the boxes. now,

just need to get my hands on one....
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Bearing in mind a 335d is as quick as a 335i, your going for the slower more frugal 330d?
      06-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
bigbeemer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Msport auto

But a BMW is a and only a BMW. An Audi is a cross breed of a VW or a skoda or seat etc etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awfully_Polite View Post
I can only contribute in terms of the TTS which I have driven on many occasions and can directly compare it my 330i M Sport saloon.

Ride: Excellent, nice and tight and good flatness through cornering. Great stability, very confidence inspiring. Stiff suspension but well damped.

Cabin: Excellent, nicer materials to the touch, Looks a bit more classy and showy, definately looks like it will stand the test of time better than the BM.

Engine: It's raspy and eager, feels suited to the car. But ultimately it is only a 4 pot, albeit with F.I. Depending on how you drive it, coming from your 335i It'll prob suit you as nearly all the torque is fairly low down and hence if your shifting about 1-1.5k below redline then the powerband is nice and linear through the gears.

Economy: N/A

Obviously all the above is subjective, and we could discuss the looks of the TTS but you didnt request that.

In comparisson to the Straight 6 N/A engine, I think the TTS severly lacks here. the Audi produces driving enjoyment in a completely different way. The performance is there and without question its a quick and effective road tool and if your frills come from effecient quick driving then this is certainly a good choice. It will easily keep up with the BM and sometimes out perform it. But where the E90 excels in is steering feel, (if this is does exist anymore). The steering is much more meatier and weighted in comparison to the TTS light and very chuckable go karty feel. I find turn in is much sharper in the BM, allowing for better mid corner correction through steering inputs, I guess what im saying is the BM gives more feedback. When pushing on the straight 6 howls and aurally it is more involving, again mid corner, lines are easily chosen by throtlle response and the rear end can kick out with a sharp probe producing an almost sensory overload compared to the clinical ride of the TTS.

It all depends really on your driving style. If you asked me which car I would have I would choose mine, If you asked my friend which he would have he would say the TTS (he came from an 57plate S3), What I like most about his car, the cabin and excellent Dampers. What he likes most about mine..... That N/A Straight 6.

good luck with the car hunt.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 12:54 AM   #12
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeemer View Post
But a BMW is a and only a BMW. An Audi is a cross breed of a VW or a skoda or seat etc etc etc.
And, a Lambo and a Bentley and a Buggati and recently Porsche ... So what point are you trying to make? VW Group is set to become the worlds largest manufacturer, overtaking all its far eastern counterparts. It aims to do this by 2018.

The likes of Audi have shared chassis platforms accross its range, but surely that is a benefit of cost reduction and progression and in the advancement of better handling and safer cars accross the board. It still has produced some phenomenal RS cars over the years and will continue to do so.

Whereas I do still enjoy the focused dedication of BMW in regards to driver enjoyment. They have diluted the M brand with various almost random model lineups and due to emmisions commitments have relinquished their Rear Drive High rev NA powertrain philoshpy. Couple that with below par quality control of their 19" Alloys and runflat pairing, and suddenly the B7 RS4 and C63 (also running on shared chassis platforms) become viable options if one was looking solely to entertain the "driver involvement factor".

If we are talking pub bragging rights, then the point you make about a 330d BMW is still a BMW, is akin to saying an Alfa 156, shares charateristics of the F2012.

OR...........

As the current E90/1/2/3 continues to drop in value, It inevitably is purchased by people who can now afford it. And im not raising issues about socio economic grouping.

But the next time you are at a set of lights and you look over the the E92 320d next to you with chrome wheels. quad exhaust, M badge on the boot with its electronc blow off valve and nankang low profile tyres with an 18 yr old illeterate uni dropout behind the wheel. Remember you were right.

A BMW is just a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 05:36 AM   #13
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
I can't see how 1.5+ seconds is "very little difference".....
The difference in 1/4 mile / 0-100mph times? It's little difference because except on the drag strip, you never do full throttle starts. Even on the drag strip, you can't reproduce the time differential between a 330d and 335d without preparing for the run, ie switching stability control fully off and brake boosting. It's just not something you do in day to day driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 05:52 AM   #14
shit stirrer
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport Coupe

Have had many TTs, with the most recent being a TTS.

They are very nice cars but I found that I lost interest with it very quickly.

Driving around town etc it felt very sluggish and it was only when the revs got above 2.5k that you felt any urgency. My wife has a TT 2.oT convertible and it always felt more lively that the TTS.
      06-04-2012, 06:11 AM   #15
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishang View Post
The difference in 1/4 mile / 0-100mph times? It's little difference because except on the drag strip, you never do full throttle starts. Even on the drag strip, you can't reproduce the time differential between a 330d and 335d without preparing for the run, ie switching stability control fully off and brake boosting. It's just not something you do in day to day driving.
The 335d doesn't lunch any better than a 330d (with similar drivers) so even 60-100mph the 335d pulls massively.

So not sure what your talking about... I was comparing best times for both with good drivers.

Still a benchmark to compare this times... As they DO relate to the real world,
      06-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #16
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bjr View Post
And I cannot see how a TT is a 'drivers car'.

I thought it was as dull as....

a golf?
so whats the or your definition of a driver's car?...

Are you refering to excitement? as in RWD slides? Some 4 wheel drive cars like Evos and STIs will give you "excitement" aswell, agree it won't be RWD slide fun but nevertheless good fun.....

lots of people aswell comment on the GTR as it being too "clinical" and "computerised" fast....but read lots of reviews of actual owners that disagree...

I think the TTS is a good lil sports car...not as "hardcore" as a cayman r....but still good...and it will piss all over an RX8 or MX5....
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #17
grappler26
Enlisted Member
Rep

330 vs.....

well that stirred it up abit! i think the `which is faster` arguments can run and run, and still get nowhere. my driving mostly takes place in towns,
with the occasional m-way blast, as today.i only thought 330d due to the
huge mid-range torque, listed in the brochure now as 520nm.what`s that
in old money, 400lbs.ft? oh yes, and 170 quid road tax. had a merc 350 dCLS
on my tail on the M62 today, took some getting rid of, so i guess oil burners
arn`t that bad! as for a TT, nah, saw a 335i M Sport in mineral white, now that`s more like it. enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #18
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
well that stirred it up abit! i think the `which is faster` arguments can run and run, and still get nowhere. my driving mostly takes place in towns,
arn`t that bad! as for a TT, nah, saw a 335i M Sport in mineral white, now that`s more like it. enjoy!
Grappler.

Just to add to the faster arguments. I regularly smoke the 330d pre lci. and the 10plate clk350 diesel. Both my friends cars. This is pretty much every monday to and from footie.

I agree with Carlos, the 335d is much faster than the 330d and a true competitor to the 335i. It does depend on the driver. Condition of car and of course tyres.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #19
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:

in my 335i, i've never been afraid of mercs...unless they're amg!...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 12:40 AM   #20
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
in my 335i, i've never been afraid of mercs...unless they're amg!...
Even if you saw this coming towards you?

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 06:28 AM   #21
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quick easy 360 turn with DSC off and the lorry will be in my rear view mirror!... ;-)
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 07:25 AM   #22
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
Quick easy 360 turn with DSC off and the lorry will be in my rear view mirror!... ;-)
Don't forget to indicate.
Appreciate 0