E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > STINKY! :sigh:

10-09-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
crzylildude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Garage List
STINKY! :sigh:

Does anyone knows or have an idea on how to remove the STINKY smell in our AIRCONDITIONING SYSTEM? ... I went for service this morning and inquired about the stinky smell when you turn on the aircondition... the service guy said they need to run a system in it and it will cost me $170++ to clean it??? I ask if it is just the microfilter, he said no... Does anybody know another way without spending $$$?...
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 06:05 PM   #2
Jean-Claude
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

http://www.1z-usa.com/einszett_klima_cleaner.html
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
crzylildude
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Claude View Post
Thanks for the input but how do you order without going through the dealer?...
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
shoes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BSM E92 335i

I had the same issue and a replacement microfilter worked for me.
If its like a musty/old/stale kind of smell, a replacement microfilter is the answer, despite what the stealership said.

I gave the filter itself a couple sprays of Febreze before I installed to freshen up the internal ducts of the AC system as I ran it.
After a few days the Febreze scent dissipated and I now have an odorless AC system.

You need to find the source of the smell. For me it was the filter, but it could be different in your case.
      10-09-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
crzylildude
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes View Post
I had the same issue and a replacement microfilter worked for me.
If its like a musty/old/stale kind of smell, a replacement microfilter is the answer, despite what the stealership said.

I gave the filter itself a couple sprays of Febreze before I installed to freshen up the internal ducts of the AC system as I ran it.
After a few days the Febreze scent dissipated and I now have an odorless AC system.

You need to find the source of the smell. For me it was the filter, but it could be different in your case.
Thanks... i will check into that...
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 11:12 PM   #6
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

In the future, try to turn the AC off before parking your car. This will allow some of the moisture to evaporate, and not cause the musty smell next time you get in the car.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 08:40 PM   #7
tcrow31
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Go to Autozone. They carry AC deodorizer that works really well. Bought a car from a smoker back in the day so AC smelled like an ash tray and after one use of the stuff it cleaned the smell right out.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 04:01 AM   #8
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Always check the following; a/c condensate pan and drain pipe smells and odours, for ac odours use 1z Klima-Cleaner Air Conditioning Cleaner or Wurth A/C & Heating System Cleaner, an effective means for removing odour-causing bacteria, smoke fumes, fungi and other germs.

It effectively disinfects mould, mildew and bacteria on the evaporator core. It also applies a thin layer of protectant that has been proven in laboratory tests which makes the growth of contaminants more difficult so the results are long lasting. The effective foam solution emulsifies the debris build up on the evaporator core so it’s cleaner and will run more efficiently.

Tip- turn off the AC but leave the fan running for the last minute or two before turning off the ignition to help dry the condenser and surrounding area.

Check / replace cabin air filter
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #9
crzylildude
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
Always check the following; a/c condensate pan and drain pipe smells and odours, for ac odours use 1z Klima-Cleaner Air Conditioning Cleaner or Wurth A/C & Heating System Cleaner, an effective means for removing odour-causing bacteria, smoke fumes, fungi and other germs.

It effectively disinfects mould, mildew and bacteria on the evaporator core. It also applies a thin layer of protectant that has been proven in laboratory tests which makes the growth of contaminants more difficult so the results are long lasting. The effective foam solution emulsifies the debris build up on the evaporator core so it’s cleaner and will run more efficiently.

Tip- turn off the AC but leave the fan running for the last minute or two before turning off the ignition to help dry the condenser and surrounding area.

Check / replace cabin air filter
Thanks ...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #10
FLA 335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i (SOLD) !!!!!

+1 on the micro filter... it gets dirty in there...
      11-07-2010, 12:56 AM   #11
Spyjunior
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

it could be mold...

My wife's Z3 has a totally skanky A/C smell, and it doesn't have a microfilter. You can get that sour smell from mold that grows in the residual moisture in the duct work.

Pelican Parts has the Klima cleaner, and I'm going to give that a try. I try to get her to turn on the A/C, and blast the heater occasionally, to eliminate moisture, but I doubt that really gets done!!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #12
Psukhe
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

I've used good old Lysol spray before on other cars. It smells like Lysol for a few days but it works and it's cheap.
Appreciate 0