E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > DIY - N54 E92 Oil Pan Gasket MT

06-12-2020, 09:00 PM   #1
notzz
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

DIY - N54 E92 Oil Pan Gasket MT

I tried to find a video or post about steps to DIY oil pan gasket on an N54 E92, no luck.
I just did it today thought I should write something to help people.
My car is 2007 E92 335i with N54 motor 6mt.

I recommend you DIY if you have some experience otherwise take it to a trusty mechanic.

Tools required: (What I can remember)
18 17 16 mm wrench
21 18 17 16 13 10 8 mm socket
3/8 and 1/2 torque wrench
3/8 and 1/2 ratchet wrench
E sockets
T60? T30 T27 T20 Torx bits
Breaker bar
Side cutter
Screw Driver
2* Long Extensions and swivel head
WD-40 (if needed)
Brake clean
Zip ties
Engine support

Parts:
New oil pan gasket
New oil level sensor gasket
New oil pan bolts ( One time use)

Now let's begin

1. Remove the belly pan, transmission pan and two covers on the side that covers the engine support bracket. DRAIN THE OIL.
2. Remove the engine support bracket
3. Support engine with engine support
4. Remove right (intake) side engine mount bolt 16mm
5. Remove front wheels
6. Remove sway bar 6 13mm nuts
7. Remove control arm bolts on both sides on the subframe. Hold one side with wrench remove with a socket. There are two arms with same sizes.
8. Remove the left side engine mount nut. I found it easier to put the socket on with extension from the suspension opening and put another extension on top to remove it. Leave tie rod ends. ( I did not drop subframe all the way still managed to get the pan out.) If you wish to remove the tie rod ends, put a 21mm wrench on the nut and put a torx bit on top to remove the nut.
9. Remove the two bolts and nuts that hold the steering column. Put 17mm? wrench on top to hold the nut.
10. Locate subframe bolts have something to support it. Remove 3 bolts on both sides and drop it halfway.
11. Remove 3 bolts that hold the coolant line on the subframe with a torx bit.
12. Now you have clear access to the pan.
13. Remove the intake tube.
14. Remove the fan. The piece on the right side of the fan can be a pain so cut it after you removed the fan I recommend you cut it so it is easier in the future.
15. Remove two bolts that are holding the intake pipe.
16. Now you will have access to loosen the tensioner pulley with T60 and breaker bar, take a picture of the belt diagram, take out the serpentine belt.
17. Go down under the car to remove the 3 bolts holding the power steering pump, set it aside.
18. Now remove the bolts holding the oil pan. There are 3 medium long ones and 2 long ones, the rest are short ones.
19. Remove 3 bolts holding the oil pan to the transmission.
20. Remove the wire connecter to the oil level sensor.
21. Now the pan can drop. If you did not remove the tie rod ends, slide the pan out through the front. Wiggle the subframe and steering column to gain access.
22. Clean the pan with brake clean, align the new gasket, and put two zip ties loosely on each end, cut them once you have started two to three bolts by hand.
23. (optional) Put some RTV on the transmission end of the pan.
24. Now you can reverse the steps and put everything back together.

Installation Tips
- Hand start the oil pan bolts
- Torque oil pan bolts in star pattern
- If you use power tools make sure you check it again with hand tools to make sure it is tight
- Do not forget the put oil in and change the oil filter before you start the car
- After you put the power steering pump and the belt in you should be able to start the car and let it idle to check for leaks. ( If there is a leak you have to order a new set of bolts)

Now enjoy your leak-free car if you have done your oil filter housing gasket and valve cover gasket. This was my last gasket to do.

No transmission line was needed to remove as I read in other threads. This might be different if you have an automatic transmission but it should be similar.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 09:58 AM   #2
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Huge emphasis on this being e92 diy and wondering if I can follow it for my two e90 n54s that are better cars yes? Anyhow, why remove fan, intake and oil level sensor? Also forgot to mention the two bolts that go through the bellhousing. Other that that this diy write up is ok
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 09:47 AM   #3
notzz
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Huge emphasis on this being e92 diy and wondering if I can follow it for my two e90 n54s that are better cars yes? Anyhow, why remove fan, intake and oil level sensor? Also forgot to mention the two bolts that go through the bellhousing. Other that that this diy write up is ok
Remove fan to get access to tensioner, then remove serpentine belt so you can remove and install power steering pump which is bolted to the oil pan
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 12:14 PM   #4
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by notzz View Post
Remove fan to get access to tensioner, then remove serpentine belt so you can remove and install power steering pump which is bolted to the oil pan
You don’t need to do that but ok!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 08:03 AM   #5
valibad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i e92 07

Quote:
You don’t need to do that but ok!
How can i skip this?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 08:45 AM   #6
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by valibad View Post
How can i skip this?
You just need to release the tension and slide the belt off. Tool like this helps although I don’t use it https://www.amazon.com/Tools-12500-S.../dp/B00M7SCAN8
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 09:43 AM   #7
valibad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i e92 07

Quote:
You just need to release the tension and slide the belt off. Tool like this helps although I don’t use it https://www.amazon.com/Tools-12500-S.../dp/B00M7SCAN8

Oh okey. I did similar thing tho
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50