E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > who done Euro road trip / tips?

07-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
who done Euro road trip / tips?

Hi guys, this is for you who have travelled in Europe by car. I\m looking for suggestions on routes that goes from north of Germany down south (and back).

any tips on what to take with? Hotel suggestions? Im taking a small car so I am limited on stuff I take so any websites you guys used to make this easier is appreciated.

Also, car itself - any servicing you recommend I do to the car and spares take with just in case?

All help welcome. Trip is planned for September.
      07-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
Snaggletooth
General Nuisance
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

If you're in northern Germany, go visit langballig Au. Shoot around on the 7 there are good portions of derestricted road too. Also, scoot down to Hamburg and check out the reeperbahn.

Also, I went to Germany with no trip plans, just 6 grand, a ticket with a return date a month later, and a bag of clothes. The best trips are the ones you wing it with sometimes.
      07-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
E90bedi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

try the romantic road. sounds gay but the road is very smooth and fun to drive on. have fun!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
Tallest
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
I am starting trip from Rostock or possibly from Sweden (and entering via bridge from denmark). I would like to get all the way down to Munich and stelvio passo as probably that is the road I must get to. Then find a different route back. Romantic Road - yes, ive read about it. So the german alps road. Both are south.
      07-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
slowSwede
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Hello!

For trip planning I like: http://www.viamichelin.com/

For accommodation:
http://www.hotels.com/ or http://www.venere.com

The bridges (there's two if you go by "land" all the way) from Sweden will run you about 50-60 € in each direction. I use the Swedish equivalent of sunpass in FL, there's another sort of vaction card you can buy, that would put you at about 45 for each pass.

The Autobahn, although fun and sometimes fast, is moreso a transportation stage. Remember to go 120 when you're supposed to, they do check speed in limites zones. When you get South of Munich the landscapes gets nicer, and try to avoid bigger cities around rush hour, including Munich.

If you go to Austria you get a sense of the alps, remember to buy the road tax for about 12 €. Italy is nice, my favourite Tourist country in Europe, and you get some inspired driving on twisting Italian roads.

Cheers!

Last edited by slowSwede; 07-02-2013 at 03:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
if you make it far south, definitely hit up Stelvio. Should be great weather in September.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 03:26 AM   #7
Tallest
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowSwede View Post
Hello!

For trip planning I like: http://www.viamichelin.com/

For accommodation:
http://www.hotels.com/ or http://www.venere.com

The bridges (there's two if you go by "land" all the way) from Sweden will run you about 50-60 € in each direction. I use the Swedish equivalent of sunpass in FL, there's another sort of vaction card you can buy, that would put you at about 45 for each pass.

The Autobahn, although fun and sometimes fast, is moreso a transportation stage. Remember to go 120 when you're supposed to, they do check speed in limites zones. When you get South of Munich the landscapes gets nicer, and try to avoid bigger cities around rush hour, including Munich.

If you go to Austria you get a sense of the alps, remember to buy the road tax for about 12 €. Italy is nice, my favourite Tourist country in Europe, and you get some inspired driving on twisting Italian roads.

Cheers!
Brilliant, thank you. Have you done this? Any threads or such? I do want to get to Stelvio, I allocate ca 2 weeks for the trip. I plan on doing it on my own as the other half isn't a fan of spending so much time in the car. Do you think doing such a trip alone is a very bad idea etc, and best to take a friend with?
      07-02-2013, 06:17 AM   #8
slowSwede
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbolge View Post
Brilliant, thank you. Have you done this? Any threads or such? I do want to get to Stelvio, I allocate ca 2 weeks for the trip. I plan on doing it on my own as the other half isn't a fan of spending so much time in the car. Do you think doing such a trip alone is a very bad idea etc, and best to take a friend with?
I've driven a lot in different continents with my longest trip starting in Miami and ending in Costa Rica, but I haven't created any threads about it.
The older EU countries of Europe is by far the easiest/safest to drive in.

If your other half doesn't like spending a lot of time in the car, you can get from southern Sweden to northern Italy in less than 24 hours. Comfortably.
That leaves a lot of time for romantic tinkering, a suggestion that might appeal to your woman, if you want her to come. It's a lifelong memory for sure, if you don't live in Europe.

Btw time estimations made on viamichelin are pretty accurate for moderate speeds. Their estimations are probably made using highly motivated drivers that don't like to stop and eat, making pit-stop-like visits at gas stations etc. with pretty much perfect conditions. They're usually pretty much spot-on in their estimates, since they drive a bit slower but also don't run into traffic jams (Stau in German, make a mental note as you'll see that word).

You can go by yourself or with a friend. There are no challenges per say, but it sure is an adventure especially driving in the alps is really enjoyable. I'd do Europe with a friend if possible, as I prefer having a beer with a friend and not alone. I did Miami-Costa Rica by myself, and saw it as somewhat of a challenge beforehand. If you can do it by yourself, no problem.

If you rent a car, you usually have to tell them you're going to take it to other countries. They will charge you a bit more, not a lot, and this way you won't get into trouble if something happens with the car on your trip.
From what I've experienced it's cheaper to rent cars in Italy that in, fx Sweden. Research that online, as it might have an impact on where you'd like to start your trip.

Do you have left hand traffic in the Falklands? If you do, take a couple of days to get used to right hand traffic. I know I've made some stupid turns, especially in roundabouts in GB and Australia...going against the flow of traffic

If you for some reason make your trip during august, whilst I'm still on vacation I'll invite you for a (read several) beer in my house. September is probably a better month to make your trip since August can be pretty hot especially in southern Europe.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0