E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest > Screeching whistle noise with cold weather/snow?

12-13-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
zirc
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 328xi

Screeching whistle noise with cold weather/snow?

Hey guys, had my first experience with the snow a few weeks ago - 2011 328xi coupe - it started then and even now for some reason when I reverse or break, I hear like a "screeching" whistle type of sound - almost like bad breaks - sounds terrible - it's not as a bad now without all the snow but I can still hear it when I first start my car in the morning and I'm backing out of my parking spot - I'll try get some audio/video next time - but until then, any ideas what it could be? Should I take it in? When I was in Europe the car wasn't driven so I missed the first few storms, drove a little when I got back, then got hit with the last storm I think two weeks ago. Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
richpike
Captain
Rep
Drives: MDX, LR4

Maybe a serpentine belt slipping? Could also be a bearing going out. I'd definitely take it in, given it is not even a year old. Try to get a video of it making the noise, or you will likely be without your car while they sit it outside overnight to recreate the sound (which they may do even with the video, but at least you will have tried to help them).

Good luck.

-Rich
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
zirc
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpike View Post
Maybe a serpentine belt slipping? Could also be a bearing going out. I'd definitely take it in, given it is not even a year old. Try to get a video of it making the noise, or you will likely be without your car while they sit it outside overnight to recreate the sound (which they may do even with the video, but at least you will have tried to help them).

Good luck.

-Rich
Cool thanks Rich - I took it into Murray after work and of course it was not making the sound, but the tech said it's usually something with the brakes, I forget exactly, but he said it's normal - guess we'll see! Next time if it's really cold I may go straight there from home since I'm closer and let them check it out - or I'll set up an appointment and have them take a closer look.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
06325sportsedan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 325i sedan sport package

Ya disk brakess have a tendency to squeal in reverse its pretty normal especially if the car is outside and the rotors get moisture and rust also it could be the ebrake hanging up is the car an auto or a manual Trans cause the manuals have hill roll back control which applies the ebrake so the car doesnt roll back
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
whoosh
Higher than you
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xDrive

Could be a rock caught between the dust shield and brake rotor. We drive on gravel roads and it happens a lot. Could also happen if you are out after they have just sanded a road down during a storm. They will usually dislodge after a bit of driving.

Current: '15 M235iX | '15 Macan S | '00 Honda S2000
Notable Previous: '12 E92 335is | '10 STi | '88 E30 325iX
Appreciate 0