E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HPFP failure FAQ!

05-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #331
ramorendez
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Subie

I think my HPFP is on it's way out... Monday morning, I experienced bouncing rpms and engine shuddering, then the inevitable half-engine light from a cold start. Restarting the car solved that issue. Leaving work the same day I had the same issues . This morning, I started the car, same issues, except restarting the car has resulted in a lit SES light and a not-so-smooth drive (but none of that shuddering or sputtering).

I called in and made an appointment for tomorrow morning. I have an '08 E93 335i with roughly 30k miles. First HPFP issue.

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 09:10 PM   #332
bimmerstein
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F48 X1

It was the HPFP. Dealer replaced it (part# ends with 943) and updated the software (don't know what version) within the same day. The car now drives much better. A lot more low-end torque and no lag at all
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 09:54 AM   #333
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 Audi RS5 (Sold)  [10.00]
2008 E93 M3 (Sold)  [10.00]
First HPFP

I guess it is my turn 08 335xi cp with 19xxx miles ...classic case...
taken it to the dealer this afternoon.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #334
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerstein View Post
It was the HPFP. Dealer replaced it (part# ends with 943) and updated the software (don't know what version) within the same day. The car now drives much better. A lot more low-end torque and no lag at all
Good deal! It's kinda interesting you say no lag, when many say there is. At the same time I believe someone posted a map of 37.2 and there's no difference. That's why I think just be glad if you have a 335, that it runs and you can drive it anywhere you want!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #335
nekken04
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Anyone out there with the 943 pump experiencing long cranks?

I had mine changed a few months ago and got the new 943 pump. It was great, but last week I started getting long cranks. I made an appt with my SA to check out the issue along with other scheduled maintenance, unfortunately they can't accommodate me till next week.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 11:18 AM   #336
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekken04 View Post

I had mine changed a few months ago and got the new 943 pump. It was great, but last week I started getting long cranks. I made an appt with my SA to check out the issue along with other scheduled maintenance, unfortunately they can't accommodate me till next week.
That's not good news at all as you have the 943--are you the first of what's to come??? The long cranks do not throw a code, do they?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 11:28 AM   #337
nekken04
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
That's not good news at all as you have the 943--are you the first of what's to come??? The long cranks do not throw a code, do they?
Doesn't throw any code, it's just very annoying as many of you can attest. I can't say for sure it's because of the 943 pump. I'll have to wait and see what the SA tells me.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 07:27 AM   #338
zackday30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Carrera S, Black on Black

Actually long cranks can throw a code. I had two long cranks in a week and used my buddies BT Scanner which showed the (2FBF) code for faults at Fuel Pressure @ Inj. Release...The readings gave how many miles I had on the car for both long cranks (and Rail Pressure) which corresponded to the ones I took note of when the long cranks occurred.
'06 Carrera S (Fun)
Sold: 08 E92 335, 07 X5
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 11:19 AM   #339
nekken04
Rep

That's good to know, thanks for the info. Hope my dealer can pick it up.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 04:55 PM   #340
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackday30 View Post
Actually long cranks can throw a code. I had two long cranks in a week and used my buddies BT Scanner which showed the (2FBF) code for faults at Fuel Pressure @ Inj. Release...The readings gave how many miles I had on the car for both long cranks (and Rail Pressure) which corresponded to the ones I took note of when the long cranks occurred.
Did the 2FBF turn on the SES? That was my problem, no SES. I'm fairly certain on one occasion, my car sat and did not even go into the service area, and was returned to me. Could tell by the mileage not even budging off the tenth of a mile digit, though it was in a different parking spot (the complete opposite of the dealership joyride eh?).

I think what many of us think is that there should be no faults, period. It doesn't make sense to clear the faults and see if they come back, and send the customer on his way if they don't. They are there for a reason, it's not a fluke....
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 06:28 PM   #341
zackday30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Carrera S, Black on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Did the 2FBF turn on the SES? That was my problem, no SES. I'm fairly certain on one occasion, my car sat and did not even go into the service area, and was returned to me. Could tell by the mileage not even budging off the tenth of a mile digit, though it was in a different parking spot (the complete opposite of the dealership joyride eh?).

I think what many of us think is that there should be no faults, period. It doesn't make sense to clear the faults and see if they come back, and send the customer on his way if they don't. They are there for a reason, it's not a fluke....
No, it never threw an SES light. Thats too bad you don't have an honest dealer. The two previous times I had my HPFP replaced, I had 0 engine lights whatsoever. I just told them that I had experienced long cranks on cold starts, they checked it out and saw the codes, and did the right thing. The guys at my dealership are so friendly which helps a lot. I have always trusted everything they have done for me.
'06 Carrera S (Fun)
Sold: 08 E92 335, 07 X5
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 09:03 PM   #342
bimmerstein
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F48 X1

The same happened to us. No SES light, code only. The dealer offered a loaner and replaced the pump right away - no hassle, no question asked. Everyone there is friendly, honest, and professional. I trust everything they said.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 09:42 PM   #343
dlrrake
Rep
Drives: BMW 760li

my HPFP failed a while back, it was hard to get replaced
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2010, 05:50 AM   #344
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

I envy those guys whose dealerships acted without a SES lamp, that's what I would have expected with a BMW or any car for that matter. But I guess I'm not alone either in having a dealership that cleared codes and returned the car to me only for me to experience the same symptoms again...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2010, 01:59 PM   #345
ramorendez
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Subie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramorendez View Post
I think my HPFP is on it's way out... Monday morning, I experienced bouncing rpms and engine shuddering, then the inevitable half-engine light from a cold start. Restarting the car solved that issue. Leaving work the same day I had the same issues . This morning, I started the car, same issues, except restarting the car has resulted in a lit SES light and a not-so-smooth drive (but none of that shuddering or sputtering).

I called in and made an appointment for tomorrow morning. I have an '08 E93 335i with roughly 30k miles. First HPFP issue.
Turns out it was a misfire and "internal failure of fuel injectors". All 6 fuel injectors and decoupling elements were replaced, plus the spark plugs and ignition coils on cylinders #4, 5 and 6.

Started up this morning and it was normal for the most part - after the initial idle at 1.1k rpm, it jumped up to 1.3k for a second before settling down to 550. No shuddering or sputtering (that I can tell immediately, at least), so I guess it's sorta back to normal. I was told the fuel could very well still be an issue and to bring it back immediately if it leaves me stranded again (car stalled out and died twice on my way to dealership on Wednesday).

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 05:53 AM   #346
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Turns out it was a misfire and "internal failure of fuel injectors". All 6 fuel injectors and decoupling elements were replaced, plus the spark plugs and ignition coils on cylinders #4, 5 and 6.

Started up this morning and it was normal for the most part - after the initial idle at 1.1k rpm, it jumped up to 1.3k for a second before settling down to 550. No shuddering or sputtering (that I can tell immediately, at least), so I guess it's sorta back to normal. I was told the fuel could very well still be an issue and to bring it back immediately if it leaves me stranded again (car stalled out and died twice on my way to dealership on Wednesday).
Before all of this happened to me, I was debating on the extended warranty. Now I just bite the bullet and figure the chances are pretty good it will pay for itself. Even by the dealership comments, it sounds like they are not very confident and just replace things when they get the go ahead from their PUMA case etc.

Anyway, knock on wood, my car's been good for 2 1/2 weeks now. Before, I couldn't even get to the post office (about .75 miles) without stalling 3-5 times.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 06:08 PM   #347
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 Audi RS5 (Sold)  [10.00]
2008 E93 M3 (Sold)  [10.00]
This is exactly what my work order said... I thought it is the fuel pump but it wasn't? it drives normal so far. Also the car got a software update! Can some explain the misfire thing since I'm not an expert...thanks
Quote:

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 03:21 AM   #348
hjernazian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Question: I've been experiencing intermitent long cranks recently, and consistently. On maybe 2-3 occasions the car will crank and crank and not turn on, but when I try to start it again it does. Is there any chance this is also battery related?

Also, if taking it to the dealership with a post-warranty 335, and I suspect it to be an HPFP issue without any half engine lights or error messages, is there a possible charge involved? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 07:17 AM   #349
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjernazian View Post
Question: I've been experiencing intermitent long cranks recently, and consistently. On maybe 2-3 occasions the car will crank and crank and not turn on, but when I try to start it again it does. Is there any chance this is also battery related?

Also, if taking it to the dealership with a post-warranty 335, and I suspect it to be an HPFP issue without any half engine lights or error messages, is there a possible charge involved? Thanks.
From your description, the battery is OK.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 04:35 PM   #350
DinoMite
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 - 335is Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerstein View Post
I thought it would never happen to me because I've been pampering my 2008 since day one. At 26K KM the pump just died this morning with no warning whatsoever...It started right away but the engine sounded like it was choking crazy then died. An engine symbol (black & white) was shown on the instructment panel. The second start was the same. But the third time it ran normal and stay on. On the way to the dealership it acted up again at the traffic lights and was running very rough with no power. We finally made it to the dealership and the SA was able to reproduce the rough start after shutting the engine off. During the whole ordeal there was no engine light, codes, or anything.

The dealership could not look at it until Monday because no mechanic is working today. Hopefully it's the fuel pump not something else .
LOL mine failed at 26K too, and they updated the software and are keeping the car overnight to see if it is ok tomorrow.

I hope they can replace the pump instead of just sending me out to fail again on the road with no replaced pump.
      05-18-2010, 01:57 PM   #351
nekken04
Rep

Quote:

Update to my original post:

Took my car in this morning. Dealer called this afternoon and said BMW told them to keep the car overnight and do software upgrades first. More to follow...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #352
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 n54 e92xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
Quote:
Update to my original post:

Took my car in this morning. Dealer called this afternoon and said BMW told them to keep the car overnight and do software upgrades first. More to follow...
Here, let me finish the song for you...

I just brought my 8600 mile car in yesterday for long cold cranks, the rough idle, the occasional cut out (especially during low manifold pressure "pulls", i.e. accelerating out of say, 3rd gear below 2000rpm), the "1/2" engine light (CEL) and "Service Engine Soon" light (SES), and blah blah blah. (Are you pickin' up the beat?) The dealer starts out with just the ECU software update - this is from BMW headquarters. (Got that melody?) I ask which version of the FP I have (maybe they would know based on VIN? I have a 2009 335i made in June of 2009) I write them an email AND tell them I don't trust just the software update. They say the car is ready. I tell them to hold it overnight and cold start it in the morning (this morning), I also ask them to drive it on the highway and do low rpm pulls.... (Now I'll finish your song.) I get the call this morning that it cold starts fine, it drives fine... I come in to the dealer and it starts fine... I notice though that the temperature needle isn't pegged "cold". Hmmmm, it's not exactly cold. I take it out on the highway... The car didn't even make it to the end of the entrance ramp before I got the CEL and SES light. The car wouldn't even keep limp mode. I had to turn off the ignition and restart it. Luckily I was only 2 miles from the dealership. Back in she goes.... As TrackRat and others have stated, the software fix is a hack. I'm looking forward to the day when I get the mail that tells me that BMW has lost their class action lawsuit, if they are going to waste my time, then I will take their money. If only I had time to start my own.
Appreciate 0