E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > How does alchohol hurt your workout progress?

04-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
Precision
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW 330CI

How does alchohol hurt your workout progress?

I am looking for some hard core no BS FACTUAL NOT TRENDY OR CONTROVERSIAL info regarding alchohol on how it hurts workout progress, some rules and advice on how to work in having a good time out and your workout progression...
      04-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
AYF80
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY F80

I LOVE Beer... but i had to give it up when i decided i wanted to be in serious shape.

Ill keep this as basic as possible, and i won't even get into the facts on how it lowers your testosterone, and increases fat storage or the fact that is dehydrates you and your muscles that are trying to grow or the fact that is completely depletes your essential acids that aid or even create muscle growth.

at the most basic level of thinking about alcohol and fitness. If you get Drunk today or tonight are you going to work out in the AM? or is your workout going to be as intense as it needs to be?

I can probably guarantee i am one of the most physically fit people on this forum, and not because i am in the Army. The only way i can balance beer and looking the way i do, is to avoid it at all costs. And thats not because i have a hard time maintaining my weight. Its because thats what you need to do if you want to actually be shredded. If i am going to drink, its MAybe 2 beers in a month. But this is for people who are in extreme shape. If you are just trying to keep strong and look "ok" than id say 2-3 a week is alright.

Drinking beer while trying to get in shape is like eating pizza and a Coke after a workout or before bed. Makes no sense.

Not trying to sound rude, I know i do sometimes.

I am actually eating a 4 oz steak and a vegetable shake right now... so i guess I'm reacting a little hard. lol

Good Luck man.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF 335i #1 View Post
I LOVE Beer... but i had to give it up when i decided i wanted to be in serious shape.

Ill keep this as basic as possible, and i won't even get into the facts on how it lowers your testosterone, and increases fat storage or the fact that is dehydrates you and your muscles that are trying to grow or the fact that is completely depletes your essential acids that aid or even create muscle growth.

at the most basic level of thinking about alcohol and fitness. If you get Drunk today or tonight are you going to work out in the AM? or is your workout going to be as intense as it needs to be?

I can probably guarantee i am one of the most physically fit people on this forum, and not because i am in the Army. The only way i can balance beer and looking the way i do, is to avoid it at all costs. And thats not because i have a hard time maintaining my weight. Its because thats what you need to do if you want to actually be shredded. If i am going to drink, its MAybe 2 beers in a month. But this is for people who are in extreme shape. If you are just trying to keep strong and look "ok" than id say 2-3 a week is alright.

Drinking beer while trying to get in shape is like eating pizza and a Coke after a workout or before bed. Makes no sense.

I am actually eating a 4 oz steak and a vegetable shake right now... so i guess I'm reacting a little hard. lol

Good Luck man.

You really did a great job answering the OP.

Quote:
I am looking for some hard core no BS FACTUAL NOT TRENDY OR CONTROVERSIAL info regarding alchohol on how it hurts workout progress, some rules and advice on how to work in having a good time out and your workout progression...

Here you go OP. Read it and don't listen to posts like the one above.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/tru...nd-muscle.html
      04-08-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
AYF80
Major
Rep

Yup,

This web sight is all you need to know.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
Here you go OP. Read it and don't listen to posts like the one above.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/tru...nd-muscle.html
nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Quote:
Yup,

This web sight is all you need to know.

you didn't post any sources...or websites for that matter
      04-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

Quote:

Good Luck man.
I highly doubt that
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
AYF80
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
I highly doubt that
ok

If anyone else here can run 3 miles in 19 min flat, do 350 full range sit-ups with out stoping, 130 push ups, while benching 260 and squatting 850, while only weighing 157 pounds with a body fat of 8%. Id like to know him.

Last edited by AYF80; 04-14-2012 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #10
Eternal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i xDrive

I love how people can guarantee they are something among a bunch of people they do not know.

To say you can only drink 2 beers a month and still be shredded is absolutely insane.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #11
AYF80
Major
Rep

[IMG][/IMG]

Lunch from today. (Yes I take pictures of my meals) Im making a cook book. Don't judge me Bro. lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #12
AYF80
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal View Post
I love how people can guarantee they are something among a bunch of people they do not know.

To say you can only drink 2 beers a month and still be shredded is absolutely insane.
Im just saying thats what i currently do so I can be in shape. you might be able to drink more, or maybe have less. I don't drink at all right now, but thats because I have a personal goal and I don't want a limiting factor.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #13
e90fun
('''\(;,,,;)/''')
Rep
Drives: AW 335i e90

That meal looks real good. I know whats for dinner tomorrow.

From my experience and knowledge, the reason why you "can't drink and hurt workout progress", atleast from a perspective of losing weight or during a cutting phase is that you will count calories or atleast maintain portioned meals throughout the week of say ~2.2k calories.

Then one saturday night, you go out with the guys and down goes around 10 beers over the span of a couple hours, this just completely ruins the whole week that you have been struggling over and it makes no sense to put what is basically poison into your system while you are trying to get more fit.
      04-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #14
AYF80
Major
Rep

[QUOTE=Eternal;11755109]I love how people can guarantee they are something among a bunch of people they do not know.

I feel I can safely do that because unless this forum has a majority of body builders or eight fit Soldiers, I think I'm in the clear. Also because, and this was never to start shit with anyone, but i honestly have Not seen anyone in a Long time that was as fit as I.

Never really wanted to take it this far, I guess i should have never said anything.

Sorry All, I was only trying to help. As I've said, I don't always go at it the right way. Military can take some social ability out of you.

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #15
AYF80
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90fun View Post
That meal looks real good. I know whats for dinner tomorrow.

From my experience and knowledge, the reason why you "can't drink and hurt workout progress", atleast from a perspective of losing weight or during a cutting phase is that you will count calories or atleast maintain portioned meals throughout the week of say ~2.2k calories.

Then one saturday night, you go out with the guys and down goes around 10 beers over the span of a couple hours, this just completely ruins the whole week that you have been struggling over and it makes no sense to put what is basically poison into your system while you are trying to get more fit.
Yes!

Sorry if i was a D*^k guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #16
Eternal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i xDrive

[QUOTE=HPF 335i #1;11755239]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal View Post

I feel I can safely do that because unless this forum has a majority of body builders or eight fit Soldiers, I think I'm in the clear. Also because, and this was never to start shit with anyone, but i honestly have Not seen anyone in a Long time that was as fit as I.

Never really wanted to take it this far, I guess i should have never said anything.

Sorry All, I was only trying to help. As I've said, I don't always go at it the right way. Military can take some social ability out of you.

You have to realize you're not the only military here though. So I am sure there are a lot of us that take fitness seriously. I am not saying I am the most fit, and I will never ever claim to be among the best at/with anything, because you never have a clue what people do or what their capabilities are.

I do agree drinking has to be limited, because the calories are killer. But to put a number on it, is impossible. I have buddies who get smashed 5 nights a week, but are absolutely shredded and diesel when it comes to the gym. But if I put back more than a few beers a week, I am done for physically. Crown and diet coke for the win.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #17
New Guy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: A BMW

Quote:
ok

If anyone else here can run 3 miles in 19 min flat, do 350 full range sit-ups with out stoping, 130 push ups, while benching 260 and squatting 850, while only weighing 157 pounds with a body fat of 8%. Id like to know him.
You can squat 850? Leg press 850 that i can believe, but squatting 850 at 157lbs is really impressive. Honestly i would have to see that to believe that. I'm curious to what 8% body fat looks like on a person weighing 157- any pictures to prove this. This post isnt a diss, I just happen to know a little something about low body fat, I cant compete with your running time but i stay in decent shape.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #18
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Benching 270 @BW of 157 is believable and not at all uncommon, but there's no way in hell you can squat 850
      04-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #19
AYF80
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Guy View Post
You can squat 850? Leg press 850 that i can believe, but squatting 850 at 157lbs is really impressive. Honestly i would have to see that to believe that. I'm curious to what 8% body fat looks like on a person weighing 157- any pictures to prove this. This post isnt a diss, I just happen to know a little something about low body fat, I cant compete with your running time but i stay in decent shape.

Yes, seated leg press, sorry. my back is F ed for squats.

I have a pic i can post from about 4 months ago... 10% i think, maybe 9.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #20
AYF80
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
Benching 270 @BW of 157 is believable and not at all uncommon, but there's no way in hell you can squat 850

270 @ 4 reps is good when you train for push ups.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #21
AYF80
Major
Rep

[IMG][/IMG]

That was December...

As of now, I just finished another 90 days of P90X! So that pic is weak. Id post more, but i feel kinda weird.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 10:43 PM   #22
e90fun
('''\(;,,,;)/''')
Rep
Drives: AW 335i e90

Quote:
[IMG]

That was December...

As of now, I just finished another 90 days of P90X! So that pic is weak. Id post more, but i feel kinda weird.
looken good, no homo.

how is doing the full p90x?

last year i got to like day 40, best shape of my life I believe but then summer came and I stopped. I tried to start fresh at day 1 in fall of `11 but my living situation doesnt permit. (2nd story apartment, a 6'3" 210lb man doing plyometrics gets noise complaints)

next year, I make sure I have a garage to do p90x in