E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Factory Turanza EL42s Outclassed by Replacement Conti ProContact SSRs: 09-26-2007

Factory Turanza EL42s Outclassed by Replacement Conti ProContact SSRs
Calendar: USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA
Dragonminder
Registered

Shortly after I picked up my 2006 330i about one year ago, I started reading horror stories about the factory-installed Bridgestone Turanza EL42s -- "noisy, rough ride, early tread scalloping" were the common complaints. The first thing I noticed was severe tramlining -- the tires followed every groove or rut in the road, forcing me to fight the steering wheel on worn or uneven pavement. Otherwise, though, I convinced myself that the uncomfortably firm ride was due to a stiff suspension, and that the noise at highway speeds was part of driving a performance sedan.

Boy, was I ever wrong! Last week I finally "bit the bullet" and decided, at 20K miles, that I had had enough of the EL42s. I replaced them with Conti ProContact SSRs that I purchased through Tire Rack and had installed locally. As soon as I drove out of the tire installer's garage, I could feel the difference. The tramlining was gone completely; the ride was much smoother and more comfortable; and the noise level at highway speeds was barely louder than on local streets. The car rides and handles much better, and finally feels like the luxury performance sedan I thought I was getting.

The irony is that Tire Rack still sells the EL42s -- and they're nearly twice as expensive as the Contis! I think Bridgestone should just admit that they produced a crappy tire in the Turanza EL42, and should recall them they way they were forced to do with the Firestone Ford SUV tires a few years ago...of course, they lost millions then, and were sued by Ford to boot, so I doubt they'd do it voluntarily!
RSVP sign-ups for this event are now closed.

09-26-2007, 05:13 PM   #2
Firefly6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Xdrive

I have only 9,000 miles on my EL-42s but the noise is starting to get on my nerves. I notice it particularly at around 35-40 mph on local roads. It sounds like a spaceship coming down for a landing. When I let a friend try out the car, he thought the brakes were grinding. I can feel as well as hear it.

Do the Contis take the sharp bumps and potholes any better?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2007, 12:20 PM   #3
Dragonminder
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Absolutely. When I used to hit a bump or pothole with my factory EL42s, I would wonder if the car had a suspension. The Contis smooth everything out and make you feel in much better control of the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2007, 03:19 PM   #4
Bimmer335i07
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
When did you start experiencing your problems? I have 5,000 + miles on my tires and they still handle and ride great. My car is a April 2007 build.

Thanks!

Sponsored by: Pics of the ---> Barbera Beast <---
Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Matt@Camber-Toe (Like them on Facebook Camber-Toe)
LuxAngelEyes (Like them on Facebook LuxAngelEyes)
LTBMW (Like them on Facebook LTBMW)
OEMconcepts (Like them on Facebook OEMconcepts)
Appreciate 0