E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Voice Commands & Bluetooth Phone

02-08-2007, 11:17 AM   #1
jrbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 335i & e46 325xi

Voice Commands & Bluetooth Phone

I have an '07 335i with idrive. Has anyone had any success using the voice command function to dial names from your phone book. It seems to verge on impossible and when the system comes up with a name (usually wrong) it seems to be in a German accent with the wrong intonations.

I also have an '02 325xi that I retrofitted with an original BMW bluetooth system and the voice command system allows you to record the name with the associated phone number. It works quite well.

Am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2007, 12:04 PM   #2
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbmw View Post
I have an '07 335i with idrive. Has anyone had any success using the voice command function to dial names from your phone book. It seems to verge on impossible and when the system comes up with a name (usually wrong) it seems to be in a German accent with the wrong intonations.

I also have an '02 325xi that I retrofitted with an original BMW bluetooth system and the voice command system allows you to record the name with the associated phone number. It works quite well.

Am I missing something?
Mine works great; it transfers all 42 or so phonebook entries from my Palm Treo 650 and it usually recognizes my speech "Dial" request. However, it does have some trouble on certain entries, like those that have abbreviations. I've been playing around with it though by changing a couple phonebook names on my Palm Treo 650 so my BMW BT understands what I'm saying. Overall, I'd say it works ~ 80-90%.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2007, 03:15 AM   #3
geoheo
Rep
Drives: '17 M3, '15 X5

Motorola Q work fine with Asian accent.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2007, 03:51 AM   #4
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:

Am I missing something?
Don't speak immediately after the 'beep' sound. Wait until the speech icon appears in the bottom left hand corner of the idrive screen.

This has increased my success to pretty much 100%.

The internal memory - 'dial name' - function is not available on i-drive cars.

This initially seemed odd to me, but now I find the new system better
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2007, 08:42 AM   #5
poiney
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

For the phone book recognition specifically, my results have been successful ~90%, but I confess I only dial a couple of numbers. SOme of my other entries might be difficult to hear. I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2007, 11:54 AM   #6
jrbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 335i & e46 325xi

Thanks.
I will work on my diction. I think that my problem is that I have 100+ entries that include 1st and last names. If I could find a way to reduce them down to one word, that may improve my success.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2007, 01:01 PM   #7
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Thanks.
I will work on my diction. I think that my problem is that I have 100+ entries that include 1st and last names. If I could find a way to reduce them down to one word, that may improve my success.
Waiting for the icon is the key. The voice recognition system is not ready till it appears, so it you speak immediately after the beep it misses the first part of whatever you are saying.
Appreciate 0