E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > V1 hardwiring through fusebox

01-16-2007, 11:00 PM   #67
s4iscool
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

heres a pic (was posted in another post of the XM radio install) of my remote display on the steering column top...from the drivers seat, i can see all the info just fine...

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 12:49 PM   #68
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Same for e92?

Great thread! I read through it and sorry if I missed it, but are the fuse locations and available routing method the same for the coupes?

Just a quick clarification on the glovebox too, are you opening the glovebox and losening two screws IN it, or are they the two under the outside of the glovebox that look like they drop a panel down?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 09:44 PM   #69
s4iscool
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

two screws outside of the box on the bottom, they will drop the pannel, pretty straight fwd, you cant mess it up...i hope!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2007, 08:16 AM   #70
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4iscool View Post
two screws outside of the box on the bottom, they will drop the pannel, pretty straight fwd, you cant mess it up...i hope!
great! I'm sure it will be a ton easier when I actually get the car and see it in person...ah, the wait. I know with some cars you actually unscrew or unclip the glovebox itself and stuff is behind there. But this sounds like you're definitely just dropping a pannel right under/behind the glovebox, and not touching the box itself. Man this is going to look nice and clean! Sometimes I get frustrated with my car now, having the detector wire and the GPS wire strung everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2007, 09:26 AM   #71
brocken
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

It's very simple to get access to the fuse box. Much easier than I thought it would be.
Basically, you open the glovebox and the back panel has a twist screw on each side. Not an actual screw but one that has a locked and unlocked position.
Once the panel is out you can see the fuse box.
The coupe is the same as the sedan, as far as I can tell. I have a coupe and after checking the fuse diagram it looks the same as what's posted here.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2007, 05:10 PM   #72
Straz M3
Never Lose
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3

Guys I am confused on how to hook up the red wire??! I connected my ground but my red wire has a fuse connector on the end of it. How does this connect to my fuse box? It doesn't make sense?
      02-19-2007, 05:34 PM   #73
ChadE
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straz 335 View Post
Guys I am confused on how to hook up the red wire??! I connected my ground but my red wire has a fuse connector on the end of it. How does this connect to my fuse box? It doesn't make sense?
you have to go to autozone or somewhere and buy a mini fuse tap, first then you will cut the blue connector off and splice into the fuse tap.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2007, 07:36 PM   #74
Straz M3
Never Lose
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3

Thank you sir!!! That is exactly what I needed...and it works!
      02-19-2007, 08:24 PM   #75
ChadE
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

no problem man...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2007, 12:34 PM   #76
HybridE92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Monaco Blue Coupe

Hey All,

I just got a V1 off of eBay but it only came with the detector, the windshield mount and cig adaptor. Now I want to hardwire this baby into my 335i so I need to get the Direct Wire power adaptor. Now, my question is, can I just get the direct wire power adaptor or do i need to get the direct power adaptor kit. The only difference is that the kit comes with an additional 8ft Straight Power cord. Do I need that? Would I need that if I decide later that I want to put a concealed dispay, especially if the concealed display come with this 8ft straight power cord? I've also included the link so that you guys can take a gander at it and point me in the right direction. Thanks again guys!

https://store.valentine1.com/store/d...gory=partsdept
Nav & iDrive, Comfort Access, Bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2007, 12:45 PM   #77
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

The DIY here all you need is the straight power cord.. It's the one that comes with the V1. I didn't buy any additional stuff besides the V1 itself...

J49

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #78
HybridE92
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh49 View Post
The DIY here all you need is the straight power cord.. It's the one that comes with the V1. I didn't buy any additional stuff besides the V1 itself...

J49
Don't I need the Direct-wirepower adaptor to hard wire it? or can i sorta make that myself? If so, how and what do I need?

Also, you stated that I should just get the straight power cord, to my basic understanding, its just a regular telephone wire correct? The V1 website sells that for $10 buck, I think I can go the local radio shack and pick one up for cheaper than $10 dollars. What do you think?

Thanks for the help BTW!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2007, 03:24 PM   #79
Josh49
Major General
Rep

My bad. The detector comes with a straight power cord and direct-wire power adapter. You need both. The straight power cord goes from the detector to the black box I was talking about, which is the direct-wire power adapter. Then the adapter's wire goes to the fuse box. So yeah, you need both. It looks like they sell both for 19 bucks..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2007, 03:25 PM   #80
HybridE92
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good question. The ends of the wire are phone cord size, however, I don't know how they have the pinouts setup. Personally, I would just buy the one directly from them. That straightwire is all you need. On the one end it has a box for the concealed display, and then a - and + wire. The - wire you can ground to the torx bolt on the left side. The + side you can ground to the fuse tap I talked about. It will be protected by the fuse in the acc. side of the fuse tap. Also then you will have the little black box there if you ever want to add a concealed display.. Which I think you said you were interested in..

Josh

ONE SEC - I'M LOOKING AT THE V1 WEBSITE TO MAKE SURE I'M NOT MISINFORMING YOU.. I'LL POST AGAIN IN A SEC..
So if I just get the straight power cord, this is how it'll go correct? Connect the V1 to ? via the Straight power cord, but if I had the direct wire power adaptor, i would connect the V1 to the direct wire adaptor via the straight power cord, the direct power cord would be hard wired in and then another straight power cord, (that comes with the concealed display) to the concealed display. correct? are you saying that I can make my own direct-wire power adaptor, this is pretty much a middle man that is hardwired in to connect the V1 to the concealed display.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2007, 03:29 PM   #81
Josh49
Major General
Rep

Read the next post! I was about to delete that one so people don't read the wrong information!!

Can you get rid of that quote? I don't want people to read wrong information.. Thanks, J

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2007, 03:30 PM   #82
HybridE92
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My bad. The detector comes with a straight power cord and direct-wire power adapter. You need both. The straight power cord goes from the detector to the black box I was talking about, which is the direct-wire power adapter. Then the adapter's wire goes to the fuse box. So yeah, you need both. It looks like they sell both for 19 bucks..
You beat me to it.. ok sweet, I'll go order it now.

Do you have the concealed display? do you recommend it? I was going to put the V1 on the top of the windshield, left side of the rearview mirror, hardwire the radar in and place the concealed display...somewhere, still trying to figure out a inconspicuous but clear easy to see place. I've seen some nice installs on this site but I dunno if I have the skills to do what some of the ppl on this site did.

Josh49 you rock, Thanks for the advice bud!~:rocks:
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2007, 03:32 PM   #83
Josh49
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridE92 View Post
if I had the direct wire power adaptor, i would connect the V1 to the direct wire adaptor via the straight power cord, the direct power cord would be hard wired in and then another straight power cord, (that comes with the concealed display) to the concealed display. correct?

This is exactly how it works, and exactly how you should (and I would) do it.

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2007, 07:40 AM   #84
acizek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, G30 M550d, F01 750i

Garage List
2005 330d  [0.00]
I seem to have troubles locating any store here which would be selling the tap in fuses... obviously they have never heard of anything like this before

I do not want to hardwire to the domelight area, is there other way than using the tap in fuse?

I was thinking about tapping into some other 12V wire in the fusebox?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2007, 08:23 AM   #85
Josh49
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by acizek View Post
I seem to have troubles locating any store here which would be selling the tap in fuses... obviously they have never heard of anything like this before

I do not want to hardwire to the domelight area, is there other way than using the tap in fuse?

I was thinking about tapping into some other 12V wire in the fusebox?
PM Picus. I found some good websites to order one from, he would probably be able to give you the website he got his. I can't find that thread. I'm sure some place over here could ship one over... Get 2 or 3 shipped over just in case though.. It's a long journey, might as well have a backup..

I know one of the places would ship internationally.. So it's worth a shot.. Good luck, let us know how you make out..

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2007, 08:45 AM   #86
acizek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, G30 M550d, F01 750i

Garage List
2005 330d  [0.00]
Josh, thanks for the info! I will try but have experience that shipping by a store is usually quite expensive...
If anyone would be willing to buy 2-3 pieces for me and ship it, I would appreciate that.
And of course pay as well paypal or whatever...

actually found some stores that would ship online - either require a minimum USD 50 purchase and/or shipping is another USD 50...

Last edited by acizek; 03-29-2007 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: edit
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2007, 11:59 AM   #87
Rover
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 series

As an FYI...one of the concerns that a BMW tech mentioned...is that if the airbag disperses, the wire could become a hazard to the passenger.

As a result...I went to the light console in the headliner for power. The V1 is mounted on the driver's visor where it has a clear view forward and back. Did the same set up on my '01 325...and worked like a charm for 6 years.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2007, 12:44 PM   #88
Josh49
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
As an FYI...one of the concerns that a BMW tech mentioned...is that if the airbag disperses, the wire could become a hazard to the passenger.

As a result...I went to the light console in the headliner for power. The V1 is mounted on the driver's visor where it has a clear view forward and back. Did the same set up on my '01 325...and worked like a charm for 6 years.
As an FYI, the V1 mounted on your driver's side visor could be a hazard to the driver or passengers in an accident. If rear-ended hard your V1 could become a projectile and knock a person out of consciousness, and/or also lead to brain damage and complications..

In other words, personally - I am not too worried about the wire.. Everything could be considered a hazard if you really think about it.. But thanks for the headsup. I am glad your setup is working for you.. Drive safely..

Last edited by Josh49; 03-29-2007 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 0