E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Will it run without FRM?

02-28-2020, 02:42 PM   #1
Pete S
Registered
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335xi

Will it run without FRM?

I have a dead FRM3 Max Brose that needs repairing but I would like to know if the car will start and drive without the module present if I send it out for repair.

I won't be driving the car since it is in the shop for some cosmetic repairs but the shop owner would like the car to run and drive so he can move it through the shop from body work, to paint prep to paint booth and then final detail. Ideally if this can be accomplished without the FRM present I could send it out for repair and get it back in time for it to be installed before it ever leaves the shop.

Also if anyone knows of someone who repairs FRMs in the general area of Philadelphia PA area that would be a bonus.

Any guidance on this matter would be highly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 02:47 PM   #2
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete S View Post
I have a dead FRM3 Max Brose that needs repairing but I would like to know if the car will start and drive without the module present if I send it out for repair.

I won't be driving the car since it is in the shop for some cosmetic repairs but the shop owner would like the car to run and drive so he can move it through the shop from body work, to paint prep to paint booth and then final detail. Ideally if this can be accomplished without the FRM present I could send it out for repair and get it back in time for it to be installed before it ever leaves the shop.

Also if anyone knows of someone who repairs FRMs in the general area of Philadelphia PA area that would be a bonus.

Any guidance on this matter would be highly appreciated.
Yes the car is operational without the frm module installed. The only things that won't work are windows and mirrors, turn signals, headlights will be on low beam mode at all times, cluster lights will not work and tail lights will be on. You can drive the car normally though
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 02:59 PM   #3
Pete S
Registered
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335xi

Thank you so much for that information sd*********. Next will be to find someone to repair it. That puts me much more at ease.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 04:43 PM   #4
bimmerfan1972
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

Garage List
My FRM3 died last year and it took me a while to diagnose and replace. I did not drive the car for the most part, but I did have to drive it a couple times. I would not recommend it, since that module controls many, many functions. But if you have to for an emergency basis or to get it to a shop that it should be OK. I would recommend doing so during the day.
      03-02-2020, 02:19 AM   #5
joeinsd
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stock 2010 e92 335i M Sport

What year is your car? You might be eligible for the extended warranty- 10 years/156,000 miles
      09-22-2023, 08:14 AM   #6
blackbimmer78
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

That is good news. I have to send mine off for repair, and need to be able to drive the car up to the store. The only thing not working on my E90 are the turn signals, dash lights, and power windows(moon roof still works). The headlights, and tails lights are now on by default, and the brake lights funtion properly. Thank God the AC still works too, its a black on black car, and gets very hot.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 12:14 PM   #7
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbimmer78 View Post
That is good news. I have to send mine off for repair, and need to be able to drive the car up to the store. The only thing not working on my E90 are the turn signals, dash lights, and power windows(moon roof still works). The headlights, and tails lights are now on by default, and the brake lights funtion properly. Thank God the AC still works too, its a black on black car, and gets very hot.
I was actually slightly incorrect a few years back.

With frm installed: you’ll still have low beams, tail lights and brake light.

Without frm installed: no low beams, no tail lights, no brake lights. So it’s actually quite dangerous to drive the car without the frm physically installed (even in the crashed state it’s currently in)
Appreciate 2