E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Bedford Autodrome GT track, open pit lane,anyone want to go together in June/July?

01-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #23
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
https://secure.moris.co.uk/trackday_quick_cover.asp

http://www.adrianflux.co.uk/trackday/

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #24
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Thanks. Just had a quote of £110 with £1150 excess on the moris site. It doesn't seem to change whether i declare any mods, or if its a novice sessioned day or a full open pit day? Edit: They exclude labour costs above £50/hour?

I think Adrian Flux is only for existing customers
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 04:12 AM   #25
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Thanks. Just had a quote of £110 with £1150 excess on the moris site. It doesn't seem to change whether i declare any mods, or if its a novice sessioned day or a full open pit day? Edit: They exclude labour costs above £50/hour?

I think Adrian Flux is only for existing customers
As you've found out,most trackday cover is prohibitely expensive,+ the excess and T&C's in most cases make such cover not worth the premium in the first place.

You could try: http://www.reis.co.uk/index.php

If you are considering using MSV it would be worth a call to them to see if they could recommend an insurance company for their trackdays - 01474 872331

Alternatively,if Trackdays are going to be a regular event for you,it would be worthwhile talking to Greenlight Insurance.
Greenlight will cover your day - day insurance needs + provide cover for a number of trackdays during the duration of the yrs cover for a relatively small extra premium at the time of the trackday.

http://www.greenlightinsurance.co.uk/

Personally,and in your circumstances,I'd investigate changing completely to Greenlight

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #26
two,_OH_five
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d

Sorry,
Been ages since I was drunk/interested/drugged (apparently) enough to sign in

My personal experience is run sans insurance BUT pick a day with a genuine track day company
Dr Jon/MSVtrackdays are OK but these days tend to attract the drifters. In my (admittedly high speed race mode) opinion these people could not give a hump for other track users and regard their talent as gospel

Make damn sure you treat the day as a learning experience, expect to be the slowest and walk the pit lane and you should be fine. Absolutely tell the other drivers your nervous position and ask them to be cautious around the bimmer with the yellow noob cross ( buy a yellow/black magnetic noob cross by the way )

Somebody will leave the track on tow/a flatbed.... Probably just after showing a "race" car how it is done
Overestimate your talent and that will be you........

It is a difficult concept for people to grasp, particularly for younger hotheads ( speaking as an old giffer who parked a mini turbo on its roof 20+ years ago), but the only person you will beat on the day is yourself. Passing porkers on the straight as you proceed to the nearest kitty litter is a mugs game
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #27
two,_OH_five
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d

PS

335d -> I'd think about track car rental if you want fun

Did you change cars or am I a drunken old fart/imagining things?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 04:09 AM   #28
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by two,_OH_five View Post
PS

335d -> I'd think about track car rental if you want fun

Did you change cars or am I a drunken old fart/imagining things?
Yes i did, got a E92 335D yesterday

It does concern me taking this car to a track now. Will need to have a rethink and try and get some cheap track insurance. Thanks for the links.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 04:24 AM   #29
The_Bear_Yid
BM Noob
England
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

Why not just spend about £70 more than you would on the insurance and spank around in one of their cars in an 'experience'?

There is an M3/Single seater one for around £180 iirc.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 04:37 AM   #30
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry,
Been ages since I was drunk/interested/drugged (apparently) enough to sign in

My personal experience is run sans insurance BUT pick a day with a genuine track day company
Dr Jon/MSVtrackdays are OK but these days tend to attract the drifters. In my (admittedly high speed race mode) opinion these people could not give a hump for other track users and regard their talent as gospel

Make damn sure you treat the day as a learning experience, expect to be the slowest and walk the pit lane and you should be fine. Absolutely tell the other drivers your nervous position and ask them to be cautious around the bimmer with the yellow noob cross ( buy a yellow/black magnetic noob cross by the way )

Somebody will leave the track on tow/a flatbed.... Probably just after showing a "race" car how it is done
Overestimate your talent and that will be you........

It is a difficult concept for people to grasp, particularly for younger hotheads ( speaking as an old giffer who parked a mini turbo on its roof 20+ years ago), but the only person you will beat on the day is yourself. Passing porkers on the straight as you proceed to the nearest kitty litter is a mugs game

Yup,seen that all too often,great post by the way.

You should take drugs more often

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 05:51 AM   #31
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Bear_Yid View Post
Why not just spend about £70 more than you would on the insurance and spank around in one of their cars in an 'experience'?

There is an M3/Single seater one for around £180 iirc.
That is an idea but don't you only get something like 3 laps?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 06:05 AM   #32
The_Bear_Yid
BM Noob
England
Rep

Don't know off of the top of my head, thought it was 20 mins in each car.

Point being that it will be a fun introduction with your car not being put at risk with the same outlay.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #33
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Don't know off of the top of my head, thought it was 20 mins in each car.

Point being that it will be a fun introduction with your car not being put at risk with the same outlay.
True, it does make a lot more sense. Don't suppose you have a link for a 335/M3 do you?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #34
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Yeah, you'd definitely not catch me doing anything so foolish...
      01-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #35
The_Bear_Yid
BM Noob
England
Rep

Quote:
True, it does make a lot more sense. Don't suppose you have a link for a 335/M3 do you?
Wow, do you want me to do the driving for you too?

http://www.msvdrivinggifts.com/exper...acemaster.aspx

15 mins a car which may not sound a lot, but at less than a minute a lap roughly (Indie circuit), thats a fair few laps. It's the one I want to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #36
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Wow, do you want me to do the driving for you too?

http://www.msvdrivinggifts.com/exper...acemaster.aspx

15 mins a car which may not sound a lot, but at less than a minute a lap roughly (Indie circuit), thats a fair few laps. It's the one I want to do.
Haha. Thanks!

That looks very tempting...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #37
sohlman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330iSE

I would definantly recomend insurance and have used Moris many times for my track car. Basically at track days you are responsible for your car only. Their policy you name an amount you want to insure for and the excess is 10%. They will pay out if you have an accident up to that value to fix your car. Quite simple really.

As for Bedford it's a great circuit to learn on as there is nothing to hit. However being very flat and long it can be difficult to learn. The curb on the back straight chicane is big. I hit it quite hard in mine and got airborn at about 110mph.

I would agree a novice day is worth doing for your first couple of days.

If you want a well organised day i would suggest joining the BMW Car Club day at Snetterton on the 1st March. The organiser is Nick Wright. This is limited to number and novices get to go out first. They also give free tuition for members. Send me a PM and i can point you in the right direction

As for wear and tear if you do it right it can be minimal, but get it wrong and you can ruin your discs pads and tyres. For example if you go out and drive 20 laps in a road car you won't have brakes or tyres left. A road tyre will operate up to a certain temperature and then will go off. You will feel this. If you carry on driving hard the tread will delaminate and will literally peal off the carcus of the tyre. Trust me i have seen this happen. A guy came into the pits in a 335d after about 20 laps and his tyres peeled off as he drove onto the cold garage floor.

Brakes will go off very quickly so i recomend not late braking in a road car. If you sense them going off slow down for a cool down lap and come in.

Never leave your handbrake on when you come in.

Also make sure the car is tip top mechanically it will get a workout. All levels should be on maximum

Also take out all loose bits of trim.

Filming on Iphone (in a a word no) Get a Go Pro. However i would save that for after you have done a couple. You won't be quick first time out.

Hope this helps. Happy to chat with you as haev done a number now.

James
      01-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #38
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the tips James. Really helpful.

PM on its way
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #39
sohlman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330iSE

Other things to consider is stone chips. You will get some. If you go into a gravel trap it's like sand blasting the side of your car.

Anything that is not bolted down will fly about so take it out otherwise it will get damaged.

I suggest going up the day before unless you live local to the track as you get very tired and the drive home can be tricky.

Make sure you have your towing eye it needs to be fitted

Wheel bolts have a tendancy to undo particularyly if the wheels have been refurbished. So bring a torque wrench and check them each time you come in.

Tyre pressures need to be dropped as the day goes on so you need a pressure guage and a mobile pump.

There is no such things as a cheap track day. Once you get bitten you will either want to build a track car as i did or you will want to modify your car as you are not happy with something on it. The demands on the track are so different from the road. Whats works on a track does not work on a road and visa versa. A road car will feel very soft a rolly.

I also suggest that before you go on your first one you attend one as a passenger. I did this and it was very helpfull. I junmped into lots of different cars.

Check out my you tube video from Snetterton from November in my E30 which can also act as a track guide

01-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #40
Estoril Sport
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911.2 S4

Garage List
Quote:
Yes i did, got a E92 335D yesterday

It does concern me taking this car to a track now. Will need to have a rethink and try and get some cheap track insurance. Thanks for the links.
mob17 You could try a track day via the IAM http://www.iam.org.uk/drivers/motori...nt/skills-days

You drive with a instructor 10 mins on and 10 mins off and its a bit more controlled on the track. As the event is organised via the IAM my standard car insurance company covers me :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 12:19 AM   #41
Woody80
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril Sport View Post
mob17 You could try a track day via the IAM http://www.iam.org.uk/drivers/motori...nt/skills-days

You drive with a instructor 10 mins on and 10 mins off and its a bit more controlled on the track. As the event is organised via the IAM my standard car insurance company covers me :-)
That does look like good value. Presumably it's not just tootling around either? I'm guessing less frantic than an actual track day but maybe more constructive?
      01-21-2013, 03:31 AM   #42
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

I would very strongly endorse the bmwcc (BMW car club) days organised by Nick Wright. They are brilliantly organised days with a low number of cars, free tuition, and specific novice only sessions.

You really won't regret it.

Dave
      01-21-2013, 03:57 AM   #43
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
I would very strongly endorse the bmwcc (BMW car club) days organised by Nick Wright. They are brilliantly organised days with a low number of cars, free tuition, and specific novice only sessions.

You really won't regret it.

Dave
Thanks mate. I'm getting more info on that and it does seem really attractive.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 11:46 PM   #44
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok so its been well over a year and i am finally ready to take my 335D to Bedford! Just need to mod the brakes and suspension and i'm ready. Should hopefully be done in a few weeks.

Anyone looking to go in June/July?
Appreciate 0