E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Methonal water injection for 335d

08-11-2014, 12:04 PM   #67
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Cool! Thanks for sharing about this.

Curious as to how involved removing the heat shield turned out to be?
      08-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #68
iaknown
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Cool! Thanks for sharing about this.

Curious as to how involved removing the heat shield turned out to be?
You must get the exhaust out of the way. Not necessarily out, but out of the way. So if you unhooked all of the rubber hangers on the mid/rear of the car and dropped the exhaust you MAY be able to sneak it out. Other than that, just a few nuts/bolts and its off....
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 01:04 PM   #69
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselRacer View Post
I have set up over 50 meth kits and the only nozzles I have never had a problem with is Devils own, how that for data... I'll use whatever the customer brings me...
I'm not even doubting they're the best

I will say this about AIS, specifically the kit I bought through an eBay seller- The quality of each piece is the best I've seen, but I've only seen Snow Performance' TDI kit and the AEM kit. The container is fantastic, but if bought alone I believe it is either $200 or $250, and that's just for a fancy 3 gallon sump container with some quality/peace of mind. The nozzles and so on- all nickel-plated brass- are top quality, but again, you pay for it if you piece it together. The kit was $499 shipped but would be $700+ pieced together. And my kit only uses boost, and even then it is on or off, not progressive.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 01:07 PM   #70
stevers314
packet jockey
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M Sport

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaknown View Post
I see you have yours threaded right into the tube with no bungs, correct? How solid were the threads? I am going to mount mine today but assumed I needed to weld bungs on.
They are in pretty solid. The thinness of the tube had me worried but there doesn't seem to be any leaks - even when you consider i had to manhandle the thing back into place.
      08-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #71
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

If you tap it a little bit undersize you shouldnt have any issue. Dont run the NPT tap all the way in, run it only 1/2 way or so and when you tighten the nozzle in it will seat really nicely in the threads. With the thinness of the tube, if you thread a tap all the way in you might end up making it too big since with NPT the further you tap the bigger the opening gets.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 08:07 AM   #72
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
If you tap it a little bit undersize you shouldnt have any issue. Dont run the NPT tap all the way in, run it only 1/2 way or so and when you tighten the nozzle in it will seat really nicely in the threads. With the thinness of the tube, if you thread a tap all the way in you might end up making it too big since with NPT the further you tap the bigger the opening gets.
Ditto. Have been running it this way for over 2 years without problems.
      08-12-2014, 08:08 AM   #73
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You must get the exhaust out of the way. Not necessarily out, but out of the way. So if you unhooked all of the rubber hangers on the mid/rear of the car and dropped the exhaust you MAY be able to sneak it out. Other than that, just a few nuts/bolts and its off....
Thanks for the tip.

So have you unplugged the pump or other connectors for the tank? Curious as to whether you will let the OEM pump pressurize the fluid in the tank or eliminate the pump?
      08-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #74
iaknown
Banned
Rep

Pipe is tapped and both nozzles feel solid. Thanks for the tips everyone.
Quote:
Thanks for the tip.

So have you unplugged the pump or other connectors for the tank? Curious as to whether you will let the OEM pump pressurize the fluid in the tank or eliminate the pump?
I have not touched anything else on the urea tanks/system. I would imagine unplugging anything I don't have to will set codes. However, what is this pressurizing of the tank you speak of? Please enlighten me a little more on how the system works, sounds like I wouldn't want anything pressurized.....
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 10:13 AM   #75
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Pipe is tapped and both nozzles feel solid. Thanks for the tips everyone.

I have not touched anything else on the urea tanks/system. I would imagine unplugging anything I don't have to will set codes. However, what is this pressurizing of the tank you speak of? Please enlighten me a little more on how the system works, sounds like I wouldn't want anything pressurized.....
So there's 2 pumps in that mess. The "transfer unit" moves the fluid from the passive tank to the active tank. The "delivery unit" moves the fluid from the active tank to the DEF injector.

Everytime I've removed the active tank fill plug after shutting off the car I get a "hissing" release of pressure. Not sure if you've noticed that or not?

I'm not sure how much pressure is involved, and it may not be that big of a deal, but just wasn't sure if that would be a problem or not...
      08-13-2014, 12:12 PM   #76
iaknown
Banned
Rep

Quote:
So there's 2 pumps in that mess. The "transfer unit" moves the fluid from the passive tank to the active tank. The "delivery unit" moves the fluid from the active tank to the DEF injector.

Everytime I've removed the active tank fill plug after shutting off the car I get a "hissing" release of pressure. Not sure if you've noticed that or not?

I'm not sure how much pressure is involved, and it may not be that big of a deal, but just wasn't sure if that would be a problem or not...
Hmmm, from your post earlier, it appears the transfer pump is the one behind the rear tire. I need to doublecheck to make sure nothing special is going on there, but it seemed like the only line that went to the passive tank from the pump was at the bottom where I disconnected and put my line. Plus it appears to have several vents on the top. So I don't see how it would get pressurized, but maybe I am missing something. I am wondering if the hissing you heard was vacuum??

Now the active tank may be another story. Seeing that injector pump contraption attached to the top makes me glad I chose the passive tank.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 02:30 PM   #77
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm, from your post earlier, it appears the transfer pump is the one behind the rear tire. I need to doublecheck to make sure nothing special is going on there, but it seemed like the only line that went to the passive tank from the pump was at the bottom where I disconnected and put my line. Plus it appears to have several vents on the top. So I don't see how it would get pressurized, but maybe I am missing something. I am wondering if the hissing you heard was vacuum??

Now the active tank may be another story. Seeing that injector pump contraption attached to the top makes me glad I chose the passive tank.
Here's a couple pics from the BMW Advanced Diesel pdf describing the pumps. This may or may not be helpful. I haven't played around in this area yet so have no first hand experience to share...

The hissing could indeed be vacuum instead of pressure. I didn't check that. Should be real simple to do, just have the cap off and turn the ignition on and feel for pressure/vacuum.

Thinking about the venting description on the tanks ... what are your thoughts on the methanol fumes coming out of those vents?
Attached Images

08-13-2014, 06:51 PM   #78
iaknown
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Here's a couple pics from the BMW Advanced Diesel pdf describing the pumps. This may or may not be helpful. I haven't played around in this area yet so have no first hand experience to share...

The hissing could indeed be vacuum instead of pressure. I didn't check that. Should be real simple to do, just have the cap off and turn the ignition on and feel for pressure/vacuum.

Thinking about the venting description on the tanks ... what are your thoughts on the methanol fumes coming out of those vents?

Interesting info.

Hmmm, methanol fumes...good question...

Well, it seems those "filtered" vents would have some resistance to letting gasses out as compared to just having an open vent. Whatever hissing you are hearing is probably evidence of that. Plus I plan to run no more than 50/50 of meth to water and that is not flammable. That being said....I will let you all know if my car blows up!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 11:44 PM   #79
iaknown
Banned
Rep

Here's some more pics of my methanol install. I needed to keep the pump fairly low for it to be below the pickup level on the urea tank so I placed it behind the rear tire near the OEM transfer pump. I pretty much kept everything connected on the pump contraption but just moved it out of the way. Made a bracket to mount the pump as you can see and was even able to jam an optional inlet filter in the stock bracket too. I think it might actually work.....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 07:31 AM   #80
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Really nice.

Looking forward to hearing more about how this works out for you.
      12-28-2014, 09:55 PM   #81
runbyu1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Are there any reasonable kits that can be bought for the 335d with an easy install? I'm a novice at modding cars but really want to do this!
2011 335D M-Sport: Nav, Cold Weather, Harmon Kardon L7 Premium. Mods: Full M3 Interior & M3 Rear Spoiler, JBD Tuner, Carbon Fiber Front Lip Splitters, LED Angel Eyes, K&N Filter, LED Interior Lights, Carbon Fiber Door Handle & Key Entry Accents.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 05:13 AM   #82
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

Nice work are you going to dyno it etc?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 10:02 AM   #83
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
How many nozzles are you guys running?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 09:09 PM   #84
AustinMsport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5D

Are any of you guys using the washer fluid tank as the tank and not a standalone?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 08:02 PM   #85
iaknown
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin335D View Post
Are any of you guys using the washer fluid tank as the tank and not a standalone?
Don't see why this wouldn't work....
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 08:04 PM   #86
iaknown
Banned
Rep

I have an update on my setup. I have my SCR tank plumbed and was finally able to test output. I am running the Devilsown pump and nozzles. I have a #7 and a #3 currently and with the 2 together I spray a volume of 26oz in a minute (over 3 cups). I am hoping you guys can let me know what volume these should be spraying according to those sizes but it certainly does not seem that the fitting on the SCR tank will inhibit flow at all.

Last edited by iaknown; 12-31-2014 at 11:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 09:47 AM   #87
Frediesel
Private
Rep
Drives: 318is

Quote:
Originally Posted by runbyu1 View Post
Are there any reasonable kits that can be bought for the 335d with an easy install? I'm a novice at modding cars but really want to do this!
I would also like to know how much time and how much work would be involved in installing/removing the kit every other year for smog inpsection.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 02:55 PM   #88
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin335D View Post
I am. It works fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frediesel View Post
I would also like to know how much time and how much work would be involved in installing/removing the kit every other year for smog inpsection.
This totally depends on how you set it up and how much thought goes into being ready to reverse. Mine I can reverse in no more than a half hour, I just unbolt the pump from the strut tower, remove the hose, put a connector into the washer line in order to remove the y connection to the pump, and then put a plug in the intake pipe. Very simple process. I can see it being much more complicated depending on how one chooses to install it though.
Appreciate 0