E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Some suspension and brake questions...please help!!

02-13-2007, 10:55 AM   #1
RT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 320i

Garage List
2006 320i  [0.00]
Some suspension and brake questions...please help!!

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about lowering my 320i lately and as I'm don't really know much about suspension and brake I'll really appreciate your advices. I was first thinking lowering my car with springs from H&R or Eibach, but all the shops I spoke with told me that my stock shocks can't hold on to them after several months. Their recommendations were either a shock/spring combo such as the Bilstein B12 or coilovers. The coilovers sound most ideal to me but if I opt for the B12 instead I can spend the difference on other things such as exhaust. It seems like the Bilstein B12 is the only shock/spring combo for the E90 at the moment, but I'm aware of the risk that I might not like the ride quality and only coilovers can be adjusted for these things. What would you recommend?

My other question has to do with brakes. I've switched from OEM 16" to BBS CH 18" for about a month now, and I've noticed a rather significant difference in terms of brake feeling. With my OEM RFT tires the brakes felt sharper with greater braking power. However, with my CH wheels and ContiSportContact2 tyres now somehow I'm having this feeling that the brakes are weaker and it takes longer distance and time to stop the car than it used to. I'm wondering if the increase of wheel size or going from RFT to non-RFT have anything to do with it? I really enjoy the handling improvements but would like to retain the old braking feeling if possible. Maybe a BBK is the solution? Thanks for reading and answering my questions!!

Cheers,

Roger

The BMW 3 series...the ultimate driving machine for 30 years and counting!!

Last edited by RT; 02-13-2007 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: Typos
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 02:55 PM   #2
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Hey there,
There is the Eibach/Koni FSD combo. H&R Sports will also work with either Koni Sports or Koni FSD. Several members on the board have either of these combinations and from I hear (and hopefully will soon find out) is that the handling is better and the ride is more comfortable than stock.

Does this help?
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2007, 03:35 PM   #3
montreal_bimmer
OEMconcept
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2006 325i  [10.00]
Eibach/Koni FSD combo looks to be what you are looking for.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2007, 05:27 AM   #4
RT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2006 320i  [0.00]
Thanks Fraggy and montreal bimmer for your suggestions!! I was not aware of the Koni FSD/Eibach combo before but after speaking with the local Koni distributor today I don't think it's possible for me to get it (at least not from them). With the price they quoted me I can get the coilovers from Bilstein or KW for a little more. So I guess I'll either go with the B12 or I'll have to find a way to get the Koni FSD/Eibach combo from the US. I'm still tempted by the idea of swapping my stock springs with the ones from Eibach or H&R but the shocks wearing out prematurely issue still bugs me a bit.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2007, 09:28 AM   #5
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Hey no problem. Funny that coilovers cost the same there as a spring/shock combo
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2007, 02:47 PM   #6
LTO
Optometrist Prime
Japan
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
hmmm... the koni fsd/eibach spring combo is around $790. coilovers should cost around $1200+
      02-14-2007, 09:27 PM   #7
Adham
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan

I say pay the extra 400 or so and get coilovers. I have always believed that a springs and shocks that have been manufactured specifically for one another will almost always function better than a simple spring shock combo. The $400 wont go as far in another part of the car ... spend it on the right suspension system.

As for you brake problem ... i have no clue why your brakes would now feel mushy. It could be in your mind ... or it MAY possibly be that the runflat's reinforced sidewalls gave your brakes a sharper feel ... but i really don't see how a difference in sidewall stiffness could make a noticeable difference. If you still have your other wheels/tires you could throw them back on and see if the brakes go back to feeling sharp again
      02-14-2007, 11:13 PM   #8
montreal_bimmer
OEMconcept
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2006 325i  [10.00]
post pics once you are lowered
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2007, 02:58 AM   #9
RT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2006 320i  [0.00]
Fraggy and LTO: You guys are lucky to be in the US, the Koni FSD/Eibach combo costs aprrox. $1800 in Taiwan, and at this price point I'll get the Bilstein PSS 9 or KW ones in a heartbeat.

Adham: Yeah I think you have a point there buddy. Given the small price difference between shock/spring combo and coilover here I think it makes more sense to get coilovers now. The runflats may indeed have something to do with it like you said, and I'll definitely try to put my old tyre/wheel back on when I have a chance in the future.

montreal bimmer: For sure I'll post some pics here once the car is lowered.

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2007, 07:25 PM   #10
Evan@Creative
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A work in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
Fraggy and LTO: You guys are lucky to be in the US, the Koni FSD/Eibach combo costs aprrox. $1800 in Taiwan, and at this price point I'll get the Bilstein PSS 9 or KW ones in a heartbeat.

Adham: Yeah I think you have a point there buddy. Given the small price difference between shock/spring combo and coilover here I think it makes more sense to get coilovers now. The runflats may indeed have something to do with it like you said, and I'll definitely try to put my old tyre/wheel back on when I have a chance in the future.

montreal bimmer: For sure I'll post some pics here once the car is lowered.
If your thinking about doing a spring/shock combo, seriously consider spending the extra money on Coils. They are a much better buy. As for the braking issue, did the weight of the new wheel and tire get larger than your OEM? If so, that could be the reason your brakes dont stop as well. Big trucks w/ 24"+
go through brakes like it's their job. All that added rolling mass takes more to stop.
Appreciate 0