E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > EGR Race Pipe and S/Flap Plugs

11-30-2016, 11:13 PM   #23
RollingCoal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D

The only thing more lethal than the Jump of a Wild Tiger, is the jump of a Wild Tiger with Red Scoops.......beware of the Red Scoop'd Tiger.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 11:49 PM   #24
JOHNNYBRAVO1
NY BRAVEST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Monaco blue, 335D

I had soaked my manifold while doing CBU. I used sams club fryer, oven de greaser and all the carbon came off amazing. I know if you have a BPC tune 2.5 or 3 you can use the ALLARD or magic parts race pipe or its really just a board out egr. I got mine from ENGLAND in 8 days for 52 bucks. Solid aluminium
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 06:40 AM   #25
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

JOHNNYBRAVO1 I looked into ALLARD but something told to stay away, Im glad it works for you and for $52 damn you cant beat that price.

RollingCoal you aint shit jajajaj someone caught this jajajaja
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 10:01 AM   #26
JOHNNYBRAVO1
NY BRAVEST
United_States
Rep

https://www.google.com/search?q=magi...h5IBDJjZ1eM%3A

That's what I have installed. I purchased this a about a year ago and it's been great. Not taking anything away from Andrew, he's a great guy and asset to the forum. This is just another option. As long as you have the ABC egr done.

Last edited by JOHNNYBRAVO1; 12-01-2016 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 06:59 AM   #27
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Great deal although Andrews product is great given the option and reviews beforehand I might looked into it, does yours hv the Meth plug option, Andrew does hv it
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 08:11 AM   #28
Oilburnerfan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Titanium/Blk M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
My flaps were tuned to be open all of the time. I switched to the blanks and observed no difference. Per tuner's recommendation, I left the swirl flap actuator plugged into harness.

To answer your question, I suppose piece of mind to know one of things won't come apart on me. To my knowledge, no North American 335D has had this problem. I say this from the standpoint that I hadn't seen anything from either Diesel board. That isn't official from BMW though.
Hey cuda, tried to send you a PM but you exceeded your message quota...

Which swirl flap blanks did you buy or which do you recommend?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 12:43 PM   #29
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

pasting in from my ebay history. My PMs always run close to 220 limit. I got an unexpected PM that knocked me to limit.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 08:18 PM   #30
JOHNNYBRAVO1
NY BRAVEST
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
Great deal although Andrews product is great given the option and reviews beforehand I might looked into it, does yours hv the Meth plug option, Andrew does hv it
Yes it comes with the meth 1/4 nipple option.. but I have my 2 AEM meth nozzles welded in my upper boost pipe.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 03:08 AM   #31
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilburnerfan View Post

Don't forget there is a great set from AARodriguez.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 01:13 PM   #32
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
Don't forget there is a great set from AARodriguez.
If I had it to do over again, I would have purchased from Andrew. I recall I had made the UK ebay purchase and was awaiting shipment when Andrew came forward with this product. I always want to help the little local guy. I wouldn't have got nailed for the 2.5% money exchange rate too.

Main thing is to get the 33 mm ones. I got the kit that already had the seals as it was one less thing to chase down and pay yet another shipping fee. I got aluminum ones but I also saw plastic ones available (less weight) and likely seal just fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 01:52 PM   #33
davegris
Master and Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

RTFM

I just got the EGR pipe from Andrew (the two fitting version as I was intending to mount a boost signal line for the controller and the meth nozzle in it.

Then in the AEM directions I saw this...
Nozzle Mounting
Select the location where the nozzle will be installed. Nozzle should be mounted such that it is higher than the tank. Nozzle must be mounted before the throttle plate. Nozzle should also be mounted after the MAF sensor if present. Nozzle must also be mounted after any intercoolers. In most instances, mounting the nozzle 6-8” ahead of the throttle body provides an excellent combination of air charge cooling and combustion control.

After a little research it appears there is some concern that when the throttle body valve closes (anti-shudder valve mode on engine shutoff) that it may create a vacuum which has the capability to draw w/m from the nozzle if it is located after the throttle body.

See this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@FixMyVW View Post
A customer told me that if you are going to use the Snow meth injectors you must disable the throttle plate...supposedly when you shut the car off the plate creates a vacuum and meth is drawn out of the injector...next time you go to start the car it can be very hard to start because it's on the verge of hydrolocking. He also said the Aquamist injectors don't have that problem, no need to mod the throttle valve action.
Any one have experience with this?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 07:03 AM   #34
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

davegris I concur with you , we would like to see if anyone else is having this vacuum issue with the meth. Gracias
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 12:23 PM   #35
davegris
Master and Commander
United_States
Rep

These are Andrew's version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilburnerfan View Post

They are well machined from aluminum and they have seals that make a good tight fit. Very well made and I recommend. Just installed them a few minutes ago.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 12:37 PM   #36
davegris
Master and Commander
United_States
Rep

I am going to test this vacuum theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
davegris I concur with you , we would like to see if anyone else is having this vacuum issue with the meth. Gracias
Before I drill the chargepipe for the meth nozzle I am going to hook up a vacuum test gauge to one of the two ports. I will report back but it may be awhile.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 12:55 PM   #37
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Im lucky my meth nozzle fits very well but Im very curious to see if the vacuum leak is there , gracias for your input
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 01:47 PM   #38
MCooter
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D MSport

I know with the snow performance meth kit I have on my TDi, that I plan to install on my 335d once it's delivered, has solenoids attached to each injection nozzle so vacuum can't pull meth through the nozzle
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 06:28 AM   #39
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Well amigos the car is running great, DIESEL consumption has gone a bit up from 21-23 city to 19-21, NOW the hwy mpg's is basically better I did 130 mpg on less than a quarter of a tank, that was with mountain and some AGGRESIVE racing driving. I was used to the turbo lag with boost but now its smooth as hell , she gradually moves on. Anyone else the the EGR Race pipe pls post your review so our amigos can enjoy this experience. Greekboy D has my pics and the videos from EGR/SWIRLFLAP and intake cleaning hopefully he'll post them for me
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 11:15 AM   #40
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

update did a 165 mile round trip on a QTR of a tank, I guess our cars are meant to be driven hard, I averaged75 mph but did a couple of burst of 120-130 mph. So the answer to your question on the EGR Race Pipe is BUY IT!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 09:26 AM   #41
davegris
Master and Commander
United_States
Rep

I tested vacuum at EGR racepipe fitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegris View Post
Before I drill the chargepipe for the meth nozzle I am going to hook up a vacuum test gauge to one of the two ports. I will report back but it may be awhile.
I finally got my car back together after doing CBU cleanup, EGR racepipe, and AEM water/methanol injection.

In the post quoted here I said I was going to test the vacuum theory that had been floating around about vacuum building up in the EGR at engine shutdown causing suction of Water/methanol from tank and being a potential cause of hydrolock or water/meth tank emptying.

What I found... at shutoff there was vacuum for just a brief moment, but it immediately went away. I only had vacuum for 1-2 seconds at most. My car/vac gauge registered 15-16" every time I tested. The vacuum went away so quickly I had to perform the test several times to be sure of the 15-16" number. I tested it 6 different times with the same results each time.

I have now been driving my car for about a week using the two fittings on the EGR pipe for boost and injection points. Have had no issues at all.

I realize many here will say the best position for the injection nozzle is further down in the chargepipe before the throttle. I agree that is ideal in terms of potential time/space for the air charge to mix with the water/methanol.

I will eventually move my injection nozzle lower down in the chargepipe for that reason. My main goal at the moment is to get the water/meth in play to help with getting the valves clean(er).

However, using the fittings on the EGR pipe made for a really quick and easy install that is super clean.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 09:47 AM   #42
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

A race pipe should have zero effect on your mileage.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 06:19 AM   #43
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Inxguy I tend to differ with you I have given insight to what mileage I hv gotten and my Hwy MPGs have gone up and city have decrease. If you hv a race pipe egr PLEASE put on your mileage so WE can see any difference.

davegris give us your MPGs so we can compare. Gracias

Last edited by Puerto Rican 335d; 01-03-2017 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: Adding
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 09:08 AM   #44
davegris
Master and Commander
United_States
Rep

My mpg will be different because of CBU cleaning mostly

I did the CBU work on my car the week of Christmas and that will have had more impact on my mileage than anything else including the w/m injection.

I can say that immediately after I finished all my work including installing the water/meth injection that I drove a controlled stretch of driving. I had cleared the consumption and speed values on my car to zero.

I drove about 60 miles in a very controlled manner (cruise set at 60-62 mph) as I was working on getting the start and full on boost values set the way I wanted them.

In that run I got 40.2 mpg which is considerably more than I have ever gotten, by about 4 mpg.

I started back to work this week from the holidays and I drive in crappy metro Atlanta traffic, so I fully expect my mpg values to decline. My work week dictates that I will have no true highway mileage to report, it will all be crappy city commute mileage.

I will need to fuel up tonight on my way home so I will calculate the fuel mileage values myself as I start off with a full tank. I will report back next week.
Appreciate 0