E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Sytner Harold Wood - are they trying to rip me off????

07-14-2011, 04:44 AM   #1
vanstmic
Rep
Drives: 335i Conv

Unhappy Sytner Harold Wood - are they trying to rip me off????

Hi All,

I had an oil leak fixed under warranty at Sytner Harold Wood in late March and on the next trip about a week later I noticed a distinctive ticking/rattle noise coming from inside the cabin when the car was stationary in D, which would go away when I move the gear into N (the car is a 2007 335i Auto). I contacted Sytner on April 4th to report the noise. Despite regular email contact with them I was only able to finally book the car in this week. On first inspection the technician was unable to hear the noise, so I went there and sat in the car with the technician and pointed out the noise which he agreed he could hear and was not normal. After approx 2 labour hours they are unable to determine what is causing the noise, and they are now advising I might have to pay £1000 because it takes 7 hours to remove the dashboard, to check if the noise if coming from that area, because if something is lose/needs adjusting behind the dashboard it is not covered under warranty. From my perspective the noise started directly after work had been done at the dealership, the car has been under warranty the whole time, and I don't think I should have to pay them £1000. Advice please!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 05:35 AM   #2
buckethead
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 320d msport

your never going to prove the noise started when they worked on the car , but as for them trying to rip you off well that's the feeling they gave me a month ago

they hold a gun to your head will you cover the cost's

i had been charged a diagnosis fee told there where loads of faults on the ecu and i cant claim on my warranty, i would have to pay for the faults to be cleared and a tech to take my car home over night

took my car to a indy the next day and my car had 2 small faults on the ecu was fixed in 15 mins

so the feeling they left me was ether they don't know much about bmw's or their conmen
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 05:42 AM   #3
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

I think you might want to contact Anneka she is a member on here and a Sytner rep for this forum
      07-14-2011, 06:05 AM   #4
buckethead
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

you should not have to go through Anneka to make sure you get good service and nothing bad is written on here about them

every customer should receive good service
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 06:45 AM   #5
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
you should not have to go through Anneka to make sure you get good service and nothing bad is written on here about them

every customer should receive good service
plus one...

but contacting Anneka might speed up the process....

and i agree....if a car is under warranty...they shouldn't blackmail you etc...if the technician have acknowledged that there is an "uncommon noise"...then it should be dealt under warranty....end of...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 07:45 AM   #6
vanstmic
Rep

I am certain it started after the work but even if it didn't I agree it should be fixed under warranty without question. I am being potentially financially penalised because the technicians at Sytner cannot diagnose what they admit is a fault. And how can it take 7 hours to take the dashboard off?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #7
urfankhaliq
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e G30

Garage List
maybe try a different dealer?
      07-14-2011, 09:11 AM   #8
vanstmic
Rep

I was going to try that actually - but some good news I guess. After road testing over night and removing the under tray they found a loose fuel pipe clip which was causing the noise. Apparently this is now fixed but not covered under warranty so I have to pay for 1 of the 2 hours labour (goodwill). Not a bad result? (if it's fixed)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #9
buckethead
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

how does it work then your charged 2hrs diagnosis fee but they do not know what the problem is surely you should get a refund as they don't know if its a warranty fault or not, but your being charged because they don't know as its not a warranty fault

that's why you feel ripped off you paid for something and got nothing

Last edited by buckethead; 07-14-2011 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 09:25 AM   #10
buckethead
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanstmic View Post
I was going to try that actually - but some good news I guess. After road testing over night and removing the under tray they found a loose fuel pipe clip which was causing the noise. Apparently this is now fixed but not covered under warranty so I have to pay for 1 of the 2 hours labour (goodwill). Not a bad result? (if it's fixed)
good news your car's fixed

but where was the oil leak before, was the under tray removed then

if not then good for them for finding the fault and fixing it

Last edited by buckethead; 07-14-2011 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #11
cdb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

I've found BMW dealers can differ massively....

Had a fault on mine that BWM Bournemouth were adamant was not a warranty piece and suggested I go back to the dealer I bought it from. Took it into Oxford BMW and they sorted under warranty without any hassle....

At least its sorted
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #12
vanstmic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
good news your car's fixed

but where was the oil leak before, was the under tray removed then

if not then good for them for finding the fault and fixing it
I should mention that. I guess it's hard to prove like you say whether the work has caused another fault. If it's fixed for £150 it's not the end of the world. I am pretty sure I will go elsewhere next time. Thanks all for your input
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 05:33 AM   #13
Anneka @ Sytner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: -

I personally believe that the service advisor was simply trying to warn you of what could be, rather than trying to rip you off.
I'm glad however that it turned out to be something much simpler that was causing the issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #14
Moh
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanstmic View Post
I should mention that. I guess it's hard to prove like you say whether the work has caused another fault. If it's fixed for £150 it's not the end of the world. I am pretty sure I will go elsewhere next time. Thanks all for your input
£150 may not be the end of the world,but surely it's about principle?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #15
Moh
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneka @ Sytner View Post
I personally believe that the service advisor was simply trying to warn you of what could be, rather than trying to rip you off.
I'm glad however that it turned out to be something much simpler that was causing the issue.
Talk about damage limitation
Appreciate 0