E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Quick question

12-11-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
supahdave
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 AW 335i Sedan

Quick question

A few weeks ago i detailed my car. After 18 hours of detailing, i was wondering if it is logical to do sections of the car each time i wash? WHat are the cons?

For instance, wash the car, clay and polish the hood. Repeat the following wash but do roof and trunk? I would be sure to use same technique and not take 3 months to do it....i just dont have the time to do a complete detail at one sitting. The gf is not happy when i do.

I can see the issues as:

1. Need to be 100% sure to do same procedure each time.
2. Use same products, pads, polishes, and apply same amount of wax each time.

Any long term cons?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

You sure can do it that way if you want. You already see the biggest con, which is potentially not having a uniform result, but that'll be hard to see unless you're inspecting it under intense lighting.
Some some DIYers I'd actually recommend them to break up the car (though usually in half) so they can get plenty of rest and do things right. A single panel can be done quick enough that it's worth it to do it at least two of three at a time IMO.
Make sure to post up letting people know your results!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

I don't see any issue with that, aside from time the added time from the extra washes. But if it's easier to break up, you should be fine. Just don't shortcut anything. Wash the whole car and make sure your process is solid and your products are clean and ready to go.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Why not just one time clay the whole car, then the next time polish etc?
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0