E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Mounting Aftermarket Parrot Bluetooth Microphone?

05-20-2008, 01:24 AM   #1
web1b
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

Mounting Aftermarket Parrot Bluetooth Microphone?

I'm considering getting the CK3000 kit and is there any reason the wires and microphone cannot be routed to and installed in the same location that the factory microphone would have been installed overhead with the map lights and hidden completely from view?
I don't know why people have been installing the mics and leaving them exposed otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Hi Buddy,
I had the same kit installed in my car about 4 months ago.
I requested the same as you, as I wanted the install to appear factory.
I was told that the factory mikes aren't fitted with any shrouding (noise protection) as this job is done by the grillage in the factory panel.

I was told that, whilst it is possible to tuck the parrot mic up there, it's unlikely it'd pick up your voice well - that panel (and the grill) are designed to work with the factory unprotected mic (which clips into place directly behind the grille), anything else won't cut it.

That said, the parrot mic doesn't have to stick out like a sore thumb - my mic was installed where the roof lining meets the windscreen (where the roof lining almost curves back on itself) so is hidden from view, and it works perfect. If you can hang on tomorrow I'll take a shot of it for you and post up.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 02:56 PM   #3
web1b
Private First Class
Rep

So, can't the mesh/foam over the factory mic grill be cut so it doesn't muffle the Parrot mic or else cut a new hole in that same plastic panel?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah, I guess you could do that.

I was more than happy with the location that my mic was placed, so I didn't feel the need to ask him to move it.

I'll post up a picture tomorrow and you can see what you think. Unless you know it's there or are really looking for it, you wouldn't notice it. I'm also running the module that allows use of the steering wheel buttons for voice dialing/redial/volume etc. are you getting this as well? Is well worth the money if you're going for the 'factory look'.

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 03:15 PM   #5
web1b
Private First Class
Rep

Ok, go ahead and post your pics. I may do it your way if a problem comes up with putting it up by the factory location.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 08:36 AM   #6
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Firstly apologies for the quality of the photos - taken on a camera phone, nor am I a particularly good photographer.

However, they should be sufficient to see where the mic is situated and how unnoticable it is when you're in a normal seated position (you will see it if you wedge your head against the windscreen and look up, but how often are you/your apssengers going to do that, right?)

Hope this helps

Appreciate 0