E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > **Bluetooth Retrofit Guide** for TCU and ULF

04-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #419
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi

Which wire in the mulf connector is the old mic wire?

Any electrical schematics
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #420
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ritz View Post
Which wire in the mulf connector is the old mic wire?

Any electrical schematics
pins 1, 19, 21
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #421
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoozee View Post
pins 1, 19, 21
THANKS!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #422
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Wow.. so now that I know the pins and found an electrical diagram no sound or auto shop will do the mod. I call them they ask me to bring it in then when I show them they are like never mind.. Most of them think it will throw a code or just not work once they do it. Another said they would do it if I order the cable that plugs into the mulf and runs to the mic. From my understanding you can't get this cable without buying the entire kit...

How did you guys connect the mulf2 to the mic?

Anyone have a part number on the 5 wires with pins from bmw in the picture?

Last edited by bender rodriguez; 04-19-2013 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #423
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Wow.. so now that I know the pins and found an electrical diagram no sound or auto shop will do the mod. I call them they ask me to bring it in then when I show them they are like never mind.. Most of them think it will throw a code or just not work once they do it. Another said they would do it if I order the cable that plugs into the mulf and runs to the mic. From my understanding you can't get this cable without buying the entire kit...

How did you guys connect the mulf2 to the mic?

Anyone have a part number on the 5 wires with pins from bmw in the picture?

I don't know what the BMW part number is, but the pigtails are the same pins for every major module in the car. If you go to a dealer and ask for something like "wiring harness connector pin pigtails" they'll know what you mean.

That said, they're like multiple dollars a piece. Granted you only need 3, it's a bit absurd. The matching part (pin only) on mouser is 571-963726-1, they're a slightly more manageable $0.30. Even after shipping charge you can get 25 cheaper than the pigtails from BMW.

If you're building this cable yourself, I recommend this wire. It's good high-quality shielded twisted pair, as in the proper harness wire.

As for the mic-side connector, I've been using a block of 3 breakaway .100" headers, with the edges sanded down to fit well with a piece of shrink wrap over the whole thing.

If you REALLY don't want to make the cable yourself, PM me.
Attached Images

04-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #424
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Nah, I can build the wire got my trusty solder right here but thanks I do notice you show 3 conductor in your picture but the ebay listing says 2 conductor.

Another member said he was able to run the mic wire without pulling panels how is that possible and how long does it take to do O.O

Last edited by bender rodriguez; 04-20-2013 at 06:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 12:38 AM   #425
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Nah, I can build the wire got my trusty solder right here but thanks I do notice you show 3 conductor in your picture but the ebay listing says 2 conductor.

Another member said he was able to run the mic wire without pulling panels how is that possible and how long does it take to do O.O
The link is correct, and it IS two conductor. The third pin is a shield that's woven AROUND the other two conductors. It's designed to reduce external interference like your phone or Bluetooth broadcasting, which is pretty critical for low voltage signals like the mic.

Edit: re panels, I think the method is to just stuff it in the cracks on the side of the headliner, but I just ran it properly on the two cars I did. It's not a HUGE pita to get the panels off.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 02:02 AM   #426
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

if you want to do a proper job, the minimum you need is to get the A-pillar trim off and the rest you can stuff the wire between the gaps. Reason for A-pillar is that you DO NOT want to cross over the airbag when you run the wire. remove the A-pillar trim and run the wire under the airbag instead. you never know when the airbag might be needed and the worst is that the deployment is impeded by the wire crossing it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 05:37 AM   #427
Najt
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 325D 2008

Hello,
here is my situation. This is part of my origin FA/VO:
S606A NAVIGATIONSSYSTEM BUSINESS
S612A BMW ASSIST
S616A BMW ONLINE
S633A HANDY VORB. BUSINESS/BLUETOOTH-SCH.
S676A HIFI LAUTSPRECHERSYSTEM
S6AAA BMW TELESERVICES
S6ABA TELESERVICES CONTROL

I had some issues with BT, but once i got paired my phone with car via BT.I've made test call, and it worked fine, also the reciever heard me very good. So the Mic is installed , and also the TCUM is in the car. I have also read the ECU with NCSE.

But I have removed the $612 and $616 code from VO and add +TELD to remove the SOS failure warning. I have two questions:

1] I would like to install DENSION 500 with BT function. What code should I add to VO to activate only the Bluetooth function without the BMW Assist?

2] whats the different between $633 and $644. I think that I should add $644 (PREP. FOR. MOB. PH. BLUET. INTERF). And i will be able pair my phone with car bia BT ?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #428
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Why would you add aftermarket bluetooth when you have OEM bluetooth?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #429
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Why would you add aftermarket bluetooth when you have OEM bluetooth?
Because OEM Bluetooth is handsfree only where the gateway gets you A2DP. It's got some other nice additions depending on your equipment, as well.

As far as the gateway interface goes, I can't help you. I'm pretty sure you only need to code in the CD Changer though, and even that may simply work as soon as there is one such device on the bus (i.e. the gateway). I don't think it uses the built-in mic at all for BT, if I had to guess you probably have your choice of paring with the gateway or OEM BT even after the install.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #430
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
Because OEM Bluetooth is handsfree only where the gateway gets you A2DP. It's got some other nice additions depending on your equipment, as well.

As far as the gateway interface goes, I can't help you. I'm pretty sure you only need to code in the CD Changer though, and even that may simply work as soon as there is one such device on the bus (i.e. the gateway). I don't think it uses the built-in mic at all for BT, if I had to guess you probably have your choice of paring with the gateway or OEM BT even after the install.
I read your break down of the MULF silly BMW didn't code in AD2P.. But even after years it seems nothing supports AD2P. I have headphones that are audiophile headphones with AD2P support yet there are only a few dongles. Unlucky me got one that doesn't work with windows 8. Even after I forced a different BT stack on my computer. Could only get it to pair.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #431
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I read your break down of the MULF silly BMW didn't code in AD2P.. But even after years it seems nothing supports AD2P. I have headphones that are audiophile headphones with AD2P support yet there are only a few dongles. Unlucky me got one that doesn't work with windows 8. Even after I forced a different BT stack on my computer. Could only get it to pair.
Rather, Continental didn't anyway :P. I can only assume the entire MULF is a 1-off contract design for BMW though. So it does beg the question, why didn't they bother? Seems like there wasn't really any practical design constraint stopping them. Although I suppose back in 2009 good-sounding A2DP wasn't really a thing. The iPhone didn't have it yet, Android had only just been released (I don't know about the state of hardware specifically, though, but I'll assume it was early enough that they didn't bother with the finer things like AAC licensing for BT). Better to not include the feature than include a half-ass of it that everyone would be annoyed with.

But whatever, for a couple hundo you can get the gateway, which seems nearly a silver bullet for all the MULF's design deficiencies.
      04-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #432
GumisSsPL
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i

Hi, My TCU unit is broken so i would like to buy new. I have question, which one i must buy? My car is from USA, but i am in Europe so can i buy one of these unit?

my broken TCU
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/803/imag0501b.jpg

new ones
http://imageshack.us/a/img94/8986/31741425211.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img839/7906/3149474709.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img842/1673/31362069771.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img41/3817/3122387689.jpg
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #433
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

I don't think it matters but from my understanding the TCU is tied to your vin. So you will have to get the dealer to do some of their magic once you purchase it.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #434
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Quote:
if you want to do a proper job, the minimum you need is to get the A-pillar trim off and the rest you can stuff the wire between the gaps. Reason for A-pillar is that you DO NOT want to cross over the airbag when you run the wire. remove the A-pillar trim and run the wire under the airbag instead. you never know when the airbag might be needed and the worst is that the deployment is impeded by the wire crossing it.
Did you guys run the mic wire just like this? Going to do this sunday..

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #435
fares52
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

So I got my vehicle coded and I was able to pair my phone and make calls. People could just not hear me obviously. I installed the BT Mic and Antenna but people still cannot hear me. I have 3 wires coming from the Mic into the combox (Mic+ to pin 25, Mic- to 12 and shield to 11). Am I doing something wrong?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 10:44 PM   #436
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fares52 View Post
So I got my vehicle coded and I was able to pair my phone and make calls. People could just not hear me obviously. I installed the BT Mic and Antenna but people still cannot hear me. I have 3 wires coming from the Mic into the combox (Mic+ to pin 25, Mic- to 12 and shield to 11). Am I doing something wrong?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
you need to repin the mic connectors behind the glove box. do a search as instructions had been posted before but i can't remember which thread it is in.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 06:30 AM   #437
fares52
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Quote:
you need to repin the mic connectors behind the glove box. do a search as instructions had been posted before but i can't remember which thread it is in.
My car did not come prewired. I ran a wire from the mic to the combox. Do I still need to do something with the glovebox? I assumed those instructions were for prewired vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 10:35 PM   #438
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fares52 View Post
My car did not come prewired. I ran a wire from the mic to the combox. Do I still need to do something with the glovebox? I assumed those instructions were for prewired vehicles.
check that you have pinned the connectors properly

pin 1 mic <-> pin 1 mulf2
pin 2 mic <-> pin 19 mulf2
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 01:23 AM   #439
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
check that you have pinned the connectors properly

pin 1 mic <-> pin 1 mulf2
pin 2 mic <-> pin 19 mulf2
He's got a combox, not a MULF.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 03:00 AM   #440
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
He's got a combox, not a MULF.
my bad, didn't read properly.

did a search and he has a 2011 car. it might be possible that he has one of those new radios with built in bluetooth which in this case, the mic wiring would be direct to the radio connector instead of the combobox.
Appreciate 0