Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > What's run-flat tires?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
xhf
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

What's run-flat tires?

what's fun-flat tires?i am wondering what are they?what are some advantages of run flat tires?are they better than normal tires?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52

Basically they fill up when you have a flat and they are not so well with handling but many cars come standard with it now because there too cheap to put in a spare
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 10:43 AM   #3
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

google is your friend
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Typical misinformation as common on this board.

Run flat tires have stiffer sidewalls that are able to support the weight of the car without being properly inflated. You can generally drive for about 50 miles or so when deflated.

In practical terms this means that you can safely drive to a tire shop if you happen to run over a nail and don't have to worry about changing your tire on the side of the road, in the rain and at night.

That said, the stiffer sidewall gives a harsher ride and the tires are not always immune to catastrophic failure following a run-in with a major pothole.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

The side walls of the run-flat tires are stiff enough to carry the load of the car without any air in them up to a surtain speed and range.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 11:10 AM   #6
mad_max
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Looking for E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
Typical misinformation as common on this board.

Run flat tires have stiffer sidewalls that are able to support the weight of the car without being properly inflated. You can generally drive for about 50 miles or so when deflated.

In practical terms this means that you can safely drive to a tire shop if you happen to run over a nail and don't have to worry about changing your tire on the side of the road, in the rain and at night.
That said, there is a chance that the side wall will break down during this 50 mile trip, and you would end up having to replace the tire rather than patch it up as you would do for a conventional tire. So if you want to save your RFT after a flat, stop the car as soon as your TPMS warning goes off and have it towed to a tire shop.

IMHO it was invented for lazyass people who can't spend 10 mins changing a flat. Whenever I get a BMW survey asking "What would you like BMW to change about their cars?" I always convey my displeasure about RFT tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_max View Post
That said, there is a chance that the side wall will break down during this 50 mile trip, and you would end up having to replace the tire rather than patch it up as you would do for a conventional tire. So if you want to save your RFT after a flat, stop the car as soon as your TPMS warning goes off and have it towed to a tire shop.
Correct. The tire will be toast if you drive it without air.

This is the reason that some shops will refuse to repair RFTs - because you cannot tell if the sidewall has been damaged.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #8
mikracer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_max View Post
IMHO it was invented for lazyass people who can't spend 10 mins changing a flat. Whenever I get a BMW survey asking "What would you like BMW to change about their cars?" I always convey my displeasure about RFT tires.
I can't imagine RFT's were designed or even used 100% for the reason of being lazy. Some cars just don't have the room for a full size spare. The donut spares are worthless so the next best thing is to run a tire that can get you to the nearest repair facility.

A full size spare in even a 5 series trunk would take up the majority of it.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 01:21 PM   #9
emmgrilli
I wanna go fast
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihsanshaik View Post
Basically they fill up when you have a flat and they are not so well with handling but many cars come standard with it now because there too cheap to put in a spare
Really? Seriously? I read this like 10 times just to make sure. You're joking, right? Please say yes. If not, please tell me what they fill up with exactly?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 01:25 PM   #10
mikracer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmgrilli View Post
Really? Seriously? I read this like 10 times just to make sure. You're joking, right? Please say yes. If not, please tell me what they fill up with exactly?
The sidewalls are stiff because they contain canisters of air that release when the TPMS sensors detect a flat...duh.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #11
emmgrilli
I wanna go fast
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
The sidewalls are stiff because they contain canisters of air that release when the TPMS sensors detect a flat...duh.
Ohhhh right! They should fill up with helium so the car can float to the nearest tire shop.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #12
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
The side walls of the run-flat tires are stiff enough to carry the load of the car without any air in them up to a surtain speed and range.
well put

I would add they also may no longer be used once you drive that 50 miles to the tire shop and a new tire will be required further they do put a lot of pressure on your soft alloy rims (that may be running on a 2.5 degree camber, therefore may contribute to cracking your wheel rim ~ further expense for a new wheel).

Then of course good luck finding that replacement tire best look for a hotel / motel while waiting for the replacement tire to arrive.

Hope he packed an overnight bag

bottom line ... ditch them RFT, a lot of people do ...

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 01:24 PM   #13
Holliday
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i w/ M package

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihsanshaik View Post
OMG - - - - - -
      03-13-2011, 02:01 PM   #14
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Runflats were originally designed as an answer to the product liability lawsuits from people driving with their tires underinflated. Then (IMHO) the manufacturers recognized the profit potential in them, and between those two incentives, here we are.

The end result, you pay more, you get less.
Appreciate 0