E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Logic 7 worth it over standard package?

05-26-2007, 01:48 AM   #89
lms
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

List and track button

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
Here you go. Not sure this is what you were looking for...

The image showing Track 03 is what it looks like when the MP3 CD is playing, before pressing any buttons.

The image showing "03. Smoke On The Water.mp3" and "04. The Mule.mp3" is what you get if you press the LIST button. This is the file name of the track that is playing and of the next track on the disk.

The image showing "Smoke On The Water" and a second line "Deep Purple" is what you get if you press the TRACK button. This is the ID3 tag song name and artist.

The image showing "Deep Purple - Made In Japan" and a second line "Elvis Presley - That's The Way" is what you get if you press the up arrow button rather than the TRACK button. This is the display of the folder names on the disk. Rolling the right knob scrolls through the list of folders that are on the disk.

As you can see from my file naming convention I name my files with the track number and the song name. I use the track number so that the songs will play in the original album order. I use folders so that I can play a specific album. If I didn't use folder, it would play all my track 01 songs before 02, etc.

This is all pretty basic stuff, but I took a shot at what you wanted to get out of seeing pictures of the Logic 7. After all, there are a lot of them on the web.
I can't get my list and track button to show up on my display, have the logic 7 any help would be helpful.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2007, 10:32 AM   #90
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i, 15 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by lms View Post
I can't get my list and track button to show up on my display, have the logic 7 any help would be helpful.
If the MP3s on your CDs contain the ID3 tags with Artist and Name information, then you should be able to see the two line display as well as to get the list and track information. With regular audio CDs you do not get any of this info.
      06-27-2007, 10:33 AM   #91
P_W
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Sport/Premium 323i

I may be the odd person out here, but I think that the Logic 7 system sounds like crap at high or low volumes. When trying to decide between the 323i and 328i, I sat in a 328i at a Toronto dealer with a couple of my best sounding CDs and frankly thought that the system was awful.

The only stock system that I've heard that sounds decent is Luxus' Mark Levinson system that I heard in the 350 SUV. Other than that one, I'd say that they all suck (including the Acura TL supposed "great" one).

Then again, if you listen to MP3s, you're probably not discerning enough to hear the difference and the Logic 7 will do fine.

P_W

P.S. Please no flames from "experts" claiming that there is no difference in sound quality between 320 kbps MP3s and uncompressed audio files.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 01:47 PM   #92
rog5878
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2001 540iA; 2007 335i coupe

I just got my 335i coupe one week ago but am
very pleased with the Logic 7 sound system.
What impresses me the most is the IPOD reproduction.
All of my albums are WAV (uncompressed). At this point,
I have approximately 30 gb of albums on the 80 gb IPOD.
The sound is incredible. I have hooked the IPOD up to a couple of stereos with RCA connectors and various IPOD players and none of them approaches the clarity, detail and mid-bass reproduction of the Logic 7 system. You actually hear some of the character of the instruments.
Maybe there is a synergy going on here. The HD radio and FM sound pretty good but the IPOD is great.

I know this thread started off with a request as to whether Logic 7 was worth the $1200 (or more) cost. Obviously, it depends on how much you listen to stereo in the car and what your source is. I have listened to other IPOD's with various file formats that have significant compression. Frankly, if you have a small hard drive, you don't have much choice. I realize that a number of individuals do not think that there is much difference in file formats but to me, the less (or no) compression the better.

Another point -- some have suggested that one save the $1200 and put in your own upgrades. I seriously question whether $1200 for an upgrade install to a standard stereo in a BMW will come close to the sound quality of the Logic 7.

In sum, if the Logic 7 is not part of the package (and it costs an additional $1200 to purchase the system and you plan on using an IPOD with uncompressed files), it is a great deal and well worth the cost.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2007, 02:10 PM   #93
stingq
Rep
Drives: GS350

those with Logic 7, can you feel the sub under your seat? I have logic 7 and can't feel it at all, even when the bass is cranked up. I can hear and feel the bass coming from the rear, but not from the seat.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2007, 01:56 AM   #94
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
To me a sound system can only be so good in a car, when a truck passing you is going to ruin it anyway.
I have the same view. I didn't get L7. Why do I need anything more than 2 speakers anyways? CDs/MP3s are recorded stereo and there are only 2 channels of information (unlike your DVD movies with 5 channels + 1 LF channel). With MP3 and engine noise, no matter how great the system is it'd be screwed.....

I have a home audio setup at home, 2 JM Lab speakers, 100W YBA amp and a Naim CD player that plays nothing but CDs (no MP3/etc) (bought all 2nd hand & it cost me 5k already...). Can't see how a few more speakers can make it sound better.... re-furnish my walls & my floor will definately do magic though... So is listening late night/early morning when no ambience noise is around.

Can't refurnish my car interior for acoustic tuning though.... car audio can only do so much....
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 12:07 PM   #95
dinkoh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 lemon/black

How many channels does the stock amp have on the Logic 7 system?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 09:11 PM   #96
fer360
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 BMW 335i

Under seat subs need more power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingq View Post
those with Logic 7, can you feel the sub under your seat? I have logic 7 and can't feel it at all, even when the bass is cranked up. I can hear and feel the bass coming from the rear, but not from the seat.
I noticed the same thing. Changing the EQ levels helps a little.

On delivery day, I thought the techs forgot to plug the speakers back in the amp when they installed the CD changer. (It mounts above the amp in the same compartment.)

In the e46 HK system, the subs in the rear parcel shelf had their own amp. The L7 system uses one amp to drive 13 speakers. I'm disappointed in the lack of punch.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 11:09 PM   #97
drwtsn32
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435xi, 2016 MB GLA250

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_W View Post
P.S. Please no flames from "experts" claiming that there is no difference in sound quality between 320 kbps MP3s and uncompressed audio files.
Obviously there is a difference.. data is thrown out in even a 320k mp3. But can the human ear perceive the difference? I would be very surprised if anyone could tell the difference, especially in a relatively noisy car environment.

Remember to do a double blind test otherwise the results are bunk.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 04:55 PM   #98
toesy
Rep
Drives: 330D M Sport

Garage List
Just to throw a spanner in the works, can you have a standard head unit with upgraded Hi-Fi? ( I guess the speakers).

Reason why I say this is my head unit is like the one in the pics posted previously in this thread, but I get no DSP settings, but I do have rear speakers, A piller tweeters, front door and the subs underneath the front seats.

If anyone can shed some light on this I will be greatfull.

Also thanks to the replies ive just burnt a CD with a load of MP3 tracks on it, and this could be a subtitute for me, instead of using an Ipod.

BTW : I bough this car as a used car, not new.

toesy

Last edited by toesy; 08-01-2007 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: added content
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 05:27 PM   #99
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i, 15 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by toesy View Post
Just to throw a spanner in the works, can you have a standard head unit with upgraded Hi-Fi? ( I guess the speakers).

Reason why I say this is my head unit is like the one in the pics posted previously in this thread, but I get no DSP settings, but I do have rear speakers, A piller tweeters, front door and the subs underneath the front seats.

If anyone can shed some light on this I will be greatfull.

Also thanks to the replies ive just burnt a CD with a load of MP3 tracks on it, and this could be a subtitute for me, instead of using an Ipod.

BTW : I bough this car as a used car, not new.

toesy
I don't know about the 330d, but with the 335i, if it has Logic 7 it says BMW Professional at the top left corner of the bezel.
      08-01-2007, 05:36 PM   #100
toesy
Rep
Drives: 330D M Sport

Garage List
Yeah mine says that also, but no mention of Logic 7 on any paperwork other than Upgraded Hi-Fi..