E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Quick Review BMS 1.2 beta!

11-29-2008, 10:00 PM   #45
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamibusta69 View Post
like they said regardless if you can switch maps on the fly or have to turn off the car you will have to do a couple runs to let the computer adjust
Overrated IMO. Show me some values int eh DME which do not respond nearly immediately and I will believe it. But in my experience, and through logging actual DME data, everything happens nearly immediately.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2008, 11:43 PM   #46
hotrod182
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
Overrated IMO. Show me some values int eh DME which do not respond nearly immediately and I will believe it. But in my experience, and through logging actual DME data, everything happens nearly immediately.
Interesting....
Guess you can't trust those butt dynos after all.
2008 Monaco Blue JB3 2.0 335i Coupe. 11.33 @ 132.77 mph, 60-130mph: 6.95 seconds
2023 i4 M50 11.48 @ 121.56mph, 3.43 0-60 (dragy)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2008, 11:52 PM   #47
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Good info there.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 12:16 AM   #48
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
+1
The only time I've seen a need for sustained adaptation is when switching between two maps that have very different boost control strategies. This wouldn't apply to maps that just have higher or lower boost. The kind of adaptation required for race gas happens very quickly. Like in 2-3 in-gear pulls on the road.

In fact, one of the best ways to negate any negative adaption caused by running your car hard for a long period of time, is just to do a few runs in the stock-boost mode. This will put the ECU at full aggression the next time you activate the race gas map. So yes, mapswitching on the fly is more than a convenience. It's a necessity in many cases, IMHO.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 12:36 AM   #49
XLR8MF
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan 2008

No point to on the fly unless you can fill race gas on the fly. Maybe if you are going from valet to high boost. But who is really spending money for all this power and turning around to cut it in half while driving. You know you guys are haling butt 50% of the time or more. For the guy who says he doesn't then sell your tune, you are wasting it.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 01:31 AM   #50
bubbletea 4 me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Finally here

great review and i cant wait for the final version to come out to the market (waiting to upgrade from 1.1 to 1.2)
my thought about switching is that if you are set on the highest map (other than race), the you are ok.. cuz u'll always be at your fav map. btw, there is no power added as 1.1 and hotter 1.1 are the same i believe. Terry did mention that if you dyno the diff maps, they will all put out the similar power..it's just the throttle response is the major diff. of cousre, race map + race gas is an exception.

i've Rix's vent guage on order so that will give you the ability to switch map on the fly if choose to.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 01:01 PM   #51
XLR8MF
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan 2008

I think 1.1 and hotter may be a slight difference in power. It is the hotter and the hotter lag fix that are the same in boost . Really nice to have the hidden diagnostic maps as well. Although, JB has the most problem free tune on the market in my opinion. Still nice to know that if there was a hiccup of some sort Terry can find out what it is with the diagnostic maps. Nice review, and i'm jealous you got it before me.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 01:24 PM   #52
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

You maybe correct as far as least problem tune from the beginning when it first came out to now, but the V3 has been bulletproof since it came out also and I would also place that reliability with JB3...I have read alot of post and threads here and there about people limping with JB3, but like I said no one here abuses and feeds off of it like alot of JB3 users, thats why it remains one of the most problem free tunes because when there is a problem, its pretty much handled by OPs on this forum, giving advice about getting in touch with Terry...Most force induction guys here that doesn't frequent the N54tech forum don't take it to another level like if it was the other way around!! I have to say in my opinion today, both tunes are pretty much reliable, but I don't know about JB3 because I never owned one..I am sure Terry will make his tune comparable to the V3 new features soon, if he didn't already with the 1.2...Its just funny that everytime Shiv comes out with something, JB3 then follows suit...example PNP, lagfix, user adjustability, etc!!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 01:48 PM   #53
Alex@AKMotorwerk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
You maybe correct as far as least problem tune from the beginning when it first came out to now, but the V3 has been bulletproof since it came out also and I would also place that reliability with JB3...I have read alot of post and threads here and there about people limping with JB3, but like I said no one here abuses and feeds off of it like alot of JB3 users, thats why it remains one of the most problem free tunes because when there is a problem, its pretty much handled by OPs on this forum, giving advice about getting in touch with Terry...Most force induction guys here that doesn't frequent the N54tech forum don't take it to another level like if it was the other way around!! I have to say in my opinion today, both tunes are pretty much reliable, but I don't know about JB3 because I never owned one..I am sure Terry will make his tune comparable to the V3 new features soon, if he didn't already with the 1.2...Its just funny that everytime Shiv comes out with something, JB3 then follows suit...example PNP, lagfix, user adjustability, etc!!
it's not "funny" it's just called competition and listening to customers input/requests.

It can go the other way around too... example: Terry made the PnP harness neater (no external ground wire) and the unit smaller than the V3, so Shiv came out with Rev.2. That's a silly comment you made just to start some more tuner drama.

Back on topic... i can't wait to test out the new 1.2 maps early next week and report back with my review. I'm curious as to how the "lag fix 2.0" works on my pre 29.2
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 02:04 PM   #54
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj323ci View Post
it's not "funny" it's just called competition and listening to customers input/requests.

It can go the other way around too... example: Terry made the PnP harness neater (no external ground wire) and the unit smaller than the V3, so Shiv came out with Rev.2. That's a silly comment you made just to start some more tuner drama.

Back on topic... i can't wait to test out the new 1.2 maps early next week and report back with my review. I'm curious as to how the "lag fix 2.0" works on my pre 29.2
I agree, it goes both ways!

I am interested to hear your review on the lag fix aswell.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 04:03 PM   #55
Alex@AKMotorwerk
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko335i View Post
I agree, it goes both ways!

I am interested to hear your review on the lag fix aswell.
I'll be sure to report back here with a review on the lag fix
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 10:39 PM   #56
LODOSS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 335 E92

Wonderful product.. I am amazed by the things you can do with it..

question.. For autos is the "press pedal" a tap on the pedal? a Wot? or do I have to press it down all the way to activate the "Downshift button"?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 10:42 PM   #57
Alex@AKMotorwerk
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LODOSS View Post
Wonderful product.. I am amazed by the things you can do with it..

question.. For autos is the "press pedal" a tap on the pedal? a Wot? or do I have to press it down all the way to activate the "Downshift button"?
it's the same procedure for autos or manual:

"With the engine off, press and hold the gas pedal down for 3 seconds. This triggers the JB3 to go into map switch mode. Then simply press the gas pedal down one time for map 1, two times for map 2, three times for map 3, etc. Start the car and off you go! The selection stays until you change it again."

Pedal needs to be pressed completely down to the floor.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 11:50 PM   #58
mmmotornutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 335i

Quote:
...I would also place that reliability with JB3...I have read alot of post and threads here and there about people limping with JB3...but I don't know about JB3 because I never owned one..
Most limps associated with the JB3 posted on this site occur due to poor installation. But then again how would you know, you never had one???
      11-30-2008, 11:53 PM   #59
mmmotornutz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Actually my first run on 100 octane was 2/10ths slower than my 2nd run. Same 60's on both runs, same shifting technique...for us manual folks. All the runs thereafter were the same to the 2nd run.

It is not quite instant as you believe.
      11-30-2008, 11:59 PM   #60
mmmotornutz
Lieutenant
Rep

V3 owners are very subtle when they comment on the JB3 nowadays. Who switches to a race map before they get race gas? Who runs the default map on race gas, waste of money?? Who doesn't turn off their engine when they fill up gas???

The switching feature is free. BMS has other products to allow for the so called "on the fly" switching.
      12-01-2008, 12:13 AM   #61
bmwturbopower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' E92 335i

Quote:
here we go again. Why bring this up?
      12-01-2008, 03:57 AM   #62
hotrod182
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Quote:
it's the same procedure for autos or manual:

"With the engine off, press and hold the gas pedal down for 3 seconds. This triggers the JB3 to go into map switch mode. Then simply press the gas pedal down one time for map 1, two times for map 2, three times for map 3, etc. Start the car and off you go! The selection stays until you change it again."

Pedal needs to be pressed completely down to the floor.
Terry told me today the map is designed to recognize anything over 75% or so as a control input. So you can just floor it to the kick down, or all the way, it really doesn't matter. He gave me a list of around 11 built in maps!
2008 Monaco Blue JB3 2.0 335i Coupe. 11.33 @ 132.77 mph, 60-130mph: 6.95 seconds
2023 i4 M50 11.48 @ 121.56mph, 3.43 0-60 (dragy)
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 08:08 AM   #63
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmotornutz View Post
Actually my first run on 100 octane was 2/10ths slower than my 2nd run. Same 60's on both runs, same shifting technique...for us manual folks. All the runs thereafter were the same to the 2nd run.

It is not quite instant as you believe.
So you switched octane rating? That is different than switching to a map which is about 0.5 - 1.0 PSI more boost.

Even so, knock threshholds do adapt quickly but not instantaneously. The DME does need "test" the octane.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 01:14 PM   #64
mmmotornutz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So you switched octane rating? That is different than switching to a map which is about 0.5 - 1.0 PSI more boost.

Even so, knock threshholds do adapt quickly but not instantaneously. The DME does need "test" the octane.
Nope I did not switch to a higher octane fuel, was running 100 octane before I went to the track and I didn't do any WOT runs prior to my first run.

Yes boost is boost and is different, but thank you for clarifying your general statement.
      12-01-2008, 03:45 PM   #65
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
good job bringing some siliness up again, fanboy!

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #66
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
I'll be sure to report back here with a review on the lag fix
have you had a chance to run lagfix on map5 only? I'm trying to get some reports back on the lagfix map on the standard 1.1 map, and see how it does. No intakes or DP's here.

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0