E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > ///M Car Rant deux

04-18-2011, 12:23 AM   #1
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

///M Car Rant deux

That was pretty insightful, and you brought up some conclusions I hadn't really come to.

First, what do you define the perfect M car as being? For me, it takes on the roles of a daily-driven automobile (whether it be small sedan or even a large SUV) and accomplishes them as viscerally as possible. It's subjective and vague even, but they're my thoughts nonetheless haha.

I wanted to know what you guys thought.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 03:13 AM   #2
Artmasterx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Garage List
2006 Volvo V70R  [10.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Is it not an Interlagos Z4 M Coupe?

Kidding, but seriously I would like to have one as a fun car...

FORMERLY: 128i coupe
Alpine White | Sports Package | Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 08:08 AM   #3
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmasterx View Post
Is it not an Interlagos Z4 M Coupe?

Kidding, but seriously I would like to have one as a fun car...
haha it certainly was but I think the new M cars will be more focused on DCTs rather than 6MT. It's my nostalgia car, so to speak, yet it is my DD.

Here is the link for the first post: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518002
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 08:57 AM   #4
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Read your original post. I can understand your logic. I think there will always be people who want that extra performance w/o compromising their warranty and going aftermarket. Some people just don't have the time to research their upgrades and deal with mechanics and tuners. That's where M comes in. People are willing to pay a premium for a ///M car because it's tuned (engine, suspension, visually, etc..) straight out of the factory---it's got full warranty and it's badged differently so they can feel special. I can understand that.

Sure, ///M cars may be heavier and less "pure," but one can say that about the rest of BMW's line as well. I don't think ///M's philosophy has really changed. They make faster, more special versions of BMW's normal models, like they always have.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqu1re View Post
Read your original post. I can understand your logic. I think there will always be people who want that extra performance w/o compromising their warranty and going aftermarket. Some people just don't have the time to research their upgrades and deal with mechanics and tuners. That's where M comes in. People are willing to pay a premium for a ///M car because it's tuned (engine, suspension, visually, etc..) straight out of the factory---it's got full warranty and it's badged differently so they can feel special. I can understand that.

Sure, ///M cars may be heavier and less "pure," but one can say that about the rest of BMW's line as well. I don't think ///M's philosophy has really changed. They make faster, more special versions of BMW's normal models, like they always have.
That's a good point u have at the end. How do you feel about the x5/6 M? Personally, I love them, but I don't know why.

Conversely, I would rather perform my own vasectomy than drive an R Class AMG.

I think an m car works for a particular segment, only if you could picture a cinema hero driving one, sans irony.

Sure Mr and mrs smith has a bádáss minivan chase, but in reality an amg version adds nothing to that.
      04-18-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
BenTrovato
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:

Well said!

I always believe that if you really want to take advantage of a finely tuned car you'll need some level of research and understanding to fully comprehend the capabilities of the upgrades.

I love the M versions of the X5 and X6, great engines and the design is fabulous.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep

Will this be referred to as the age of FI bimmers?

Anyone who has driven a laggy turbo car can attest to how much damn fun they are to try and master.
      04-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentric View Post
That's a good point u have at the end. How do you feel about the x5/6 M? Personally, I love them, but I don't know why.

I think an m car works for a particular segment, only if you could picture a cinema hero driving one, sans irony.

Sure Mr and mrs smith has a bádáss minivan chase, but in reality an amg version adds nothing to that.
I don't really care for suv's in general, but the X5/6M's definitely have the shock and awe factor. Everywhere other than the U.S., those cars are considered "large," so I think they cater to those wanting attention for attention sake: "Wait, how much does that thing weigh? And it makes how much horsepower?! And it goes THAT fast! Woah."

It's kind of a fashion statement, as it doesn't do anything particularly well. So, I understand why people think these cars arn't "pure" in the sense that they're good track cars. (They're not good people haulers or off roaders either.) I don't mind them. I never thought of ///M as track cars only (but I guess they were in the past). In my mind, ///M stood for the ultimate edition of a certain model--the fastest, most expensive, and most engineered model.

So, I don't think the X5/6M dilutes the ///M marque. They're still very imposing on the road. Now, I think slapping the ///M badge on other things w/o putting much engineering into them (I'm looking at you M-sport) dilutes the ///M marque more than a X6M which has gone through more engineering to earn the ///M badge.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #9
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentric View Post

I don't really care for suv's in general, but the X5/6M's definitely have the shock and awe factor. Everywhere other than the U.S., those cars are considered "large," so I think they cater to those wanting attention for attention sake: "Wait, how much does that thing weigh? And it makes how much horsepower?! And it goes THAT fast! Woah."

It's kind of a fashion statement, as it doesn't do anything particularly well. So, I understand why people think these cars arn't "pure" in the sense that they're good track cars. (They're not good people haulers or off roaders either.) I don't mind them. I never thought of ///M as track cars only (but I guess they were in the past). In my mind, ///M stood for the ultimate edition of a certain model--the fastest, most expensive, and most engineered model.

So, I don't think the X5/6M dilutes the ///M marque. They're still very imposing on the road. Now, I think slapping the ///M badge on other things w/o putting much engineering into them (I'm looking at you M-sport) dilutes the ///M marque more than a X6M which has gone through more engineering to earn the ///M badge.
I have the same mentality. Not all m cars were made to be track cars. Even the m5 isn't, and that's #2 after the m3 in poster-child status.

All the current m cars have their place. And doesn't the x6m lap the 'Ring faster than both the e92m3 and the e60 m5? Could be mixed up facts but the awd is definitely a nice weapon to have.