E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > '06 330i Won't Crank - Warning Lights Displayed

10-08-2013, 12:42 AM   #1
branmace
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Exclamation '06 330i Won't Crank - Warning Lights Displayed

Ok, before anyone starts yapping about searching, I already have and have not found something that would help me, in my case, as nobody I can found seems to talk about warning lights. With that said, anyone with similar or same issue please HELP!!!

Car won't crank:

- doors can be unlocked, head/interior lights work, checked battery indicator eye sight and appears green/black (not yellow or orange).
- key fob plugged in, push start button and nothing, break pedal appears locked, gauge cluster lights up, checked controls and warning lights came on (see image below from i-Drive).

Troubleshooting:

- Possible Starter?
- Break Pedal sensor? (Don't know exactly how to troubleshoot)
- Some fuse behind glove box? (This issue also caused vehicle doors/windows can't be unlocked, power loss...not in my case)
- IBS? (I'm thinking unlikely, as my doors/windows/head lights etc. are functional)

I understand problems with many can be different and many issues can cause a no crank, however, I've posted a photo of the warning lights below as I was not able to find anyone talking about them. Also, they may be dummy warning lights as many come on that may or may not be affected.

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4

Garage List
A few months ago I went to start my car and it would not crank at all. It ended up being the starter.
E90 325i|Sparkling Graphite Metallic|Steptronic|Black Leatherette/Dark Burl Interior|OEM Alarm|35%Front/5%Rear Tint|RD LED License Plate Lights|Rear Fogs Activated|Debadged|Smoked Sidemarkers|Blacklines|Depo P90v2|Matte Black Grille|BMS PBX|AFE Drop In|Charcoal Filter Delete|Air Scoops| RM Silicone Intake Hose| Magnaflow 14815| 19" Avant Garde M310|Continental DWS|M3 Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

It could still be the battery. Get a jump and see if you can start the car? If not the battery then it is most likely the starter.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Open the window and listen carefully for the starter relay when you press the start button. If you hear a click, it's most likely the starter. Also, check for any burning smell. It could also be the CAS module. This happened to me. Everything looks like it works but no crank. If you get the car scanned it will tell you if any modules have failed. If it was the pedal switch you'd see a foot a pedal displayed on your dash.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
McAuley7
@McAuley7
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Garage List
2010 335i  [9.00]
U do Hidden menu voltage check?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
check battery before you move on. Do a load test on your battery. If car does not start, take battery to your local auto parts store do they can do a load test.

Most of the times the battery still strong to light up dashboard lights etc but not to start engine.

How old is your battery?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #7
branmace
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
check battery before you move on. Do a load test on your battery. If car does not start, take battery to your local auto parts store do they can do a load test.

Most of the times the battery still strong to light up dashboard lights etc but not to start engine.

How old is your battery?
Battery since production, 2006, so over 7 years. Local auto store tested 12.8V and tried to jump start. Car started but after 30 min of drive or so tried to start and nothing. Something with BMW's IBS technology...

First of all, I apologize for this late response, I had to leave town and could not do anything to my car.
Second of all, thank you all for your input as I understand BMW repairs are $$$$ and diagnostics are a pain. Particularly, after the $2k+ I had to cough up a week prior to this...I hope you understand my frustration...
So I towed it to the dealer and the mechanic stated faulty battery. The windows still can be opened, hence the black color on the battery eye sight. But this indicates soon to be yellow/orange and a complete dead battery. So my follow up question, how much? $250 for the battery, $150 for diagnostic, for a total of $510 with tax and tow. Damn, I see now what they mean by free full scheduled maintenance...You pay for it, double, after the 50k miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by branmace View Post
Battery since production, 2006, so over 7 years. Local auto store tested 12.8V and tried to jump start. Car started but after 30 min of drive or so tried to start and nothing. Something with BMW's IBS technology...

First of all, I apologize for this late response, I had to leave town and could not do anything to my car.
Second of all, thank you all for your input as I understand BMW repairs are $$$$ and diagnostics are a pain. Particularly, after the $2k+ I had to cough up a week prior to this...I hope you understand my frustration...
So I towed it to the dealer and the mechanic stated faulty battery. The windows still can be opened, hence the black color on the battery eye sight. But this indicates soon to be yellow/orange and a complete dead battery. So my follow up question, how much? $250 for the battery, $150 for diagnostic, for a total of $510 with tax and tow. Damn, I see now what they mean by free full scheduled maintenance...You pay for it, double, after the 50k miles.
Your battery should be color white and made by Exide, same as mine. It should not cost you more than $180.00 and you should do the job yourself. Its easy. No coding or programming is needed on these kind of batteries. I replaced mine back in March and is working great. Part# 61-21-7-586- 961
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #9
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 550i

Garage List
2013 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Next time don't go to the dealership, you should find yourself a trusted BMW indy shop. It'll save you a lot more money. It'll take a couple tries though, we didn't find a really good one until like the 3rd shop we found.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
branmace
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
Your battery should be color white and made by Exide, same as mine. It should not cost you more than $180.00 and you should do the job yourself. Its easy. No coding or programming is needed on these kind of batteries. I replaced mine back in March and is working great. Part# 61-21-7-586- 961
My option was to purchase it at the dealership as I had my vehicle towed and my idrive lit like a christmas tree. I know in CA you can get cheaper prices as you have more dealerships/competitors. Therefore, I'm purchasing my next BMW (if) from CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini77 View Post
Next time don't go to the dealership, you should find yourself a trusted BMW indy shop. It'll save you a lot more money. It'll take a couple tries though, we didn't find a really good one until like the 3rd shop we found.
My area does not have many 'trustworthy' indy shops that are willing to diagnose BMW's. A few that are willing to do anything, price themselves as close to the dealer as they can. I guess the market is up for grabs for someone who can and know what they are doing.
Appreciate 0