E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Do you guys think I got a good deal?

06-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
SollyD
Rep
Drives: gti

Do you guys think I got a good deal?

I'm leasing an 08 328xi coupe that should be in my driveway sometime next week
alpine white
coral red
sport pkg
ipod
sirius
2yr lease 15k miles
I traded in my 2006 vw gti which I owed $8500 on which according to kbb.com trades between 11-14k. Basically somewhere between 2500 and 5500 trade value.

My payments are going to be $380 a month.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 06:05 PM   #2
Saintor
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Your lump sump is the equivalent of at least 200$/mo.... why only 2 yrs? They even take care of brakes! On the bright side, paying another set of Sport RFT is not a good idea...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 06:07 PM   #3
SollyD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
Your lump sump is the equivalent of at least 200$/mo.... why only 2 yrs? They even take care of brakes! On the bright side, paying another set of Sport RFT is not a good idea...
didnt want to go that long. I switch cars so often so I'd hate to be stuck in something for a while.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 06:15 PM   #4
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

IMO if the deal is already done, you should just be happy with it. Our opinion will only make you second guess yourself and that's going to bug you for a long time.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 06:29 PM   #5
SollyD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny@JleviSW View Post
IMO if the deal is already done, you should just be happy with it. Our opinion will only make you second guess yourself and that's going to bug you for a long time.
lol i guess youre right. I was just curious about what everyone thought.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 06:31 PM   #6
quest556
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i x-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny@JleviSW View Post

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 07:46 PM   #7
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Yeah, if you cant change it live with it!
      06-11-2008, 08:10 PM   #8
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Why do people bang their heads against walls?

My friend got his central a/c fixed yesterday for $585. He was happy, his family was cool while it was 99 F outside after suffering Sun and Mon nights, all's well that ends well. Today he asks me what I thought, so I told him. Your fan and compressor wouldn't start, but you heard a hum. Classic case of a $20 capacitor going bad. Now he's all sullen because he got ripped off. He was happy before, what difference does it make what I think or know? But he asked. Should I reassure him that he got a good deal and everything's ok?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 08:56 PM   #9
CurlyFatAngry
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: his BMW as much as he can !

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Why do people bang their heads against walls?

My friend got his central a/c fixed yesterday for $585. He was happy, his family was cool while it was 99 F outside after suffering Sun and Mon nights, all's well that ends well. Today he asks me what I thought, so I told him. Your fan and compressor wouldn't start, but you heard a hum. Classic case of a $20 capacitor going bad. Now he's all sullen because he got ripped off. He was happy before, what difference does it make what I think or know? But he asked. Should I reassure him that he got a good deal and everything's ok?
Guess ignorance is bliss afterall !!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 01:12 AM   #10
0utlier
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 XDrive35i

If you're happy, then everyone else should be happy for you. Congrats on your new car. However, next time ask before the deal, not after. If there is one lesson that all who lease should adhere is NO CAP COST REDUCTION ON A LEASE.

There is no upside to a down payment on a lease. You are simply pre-paying your lease. Should you total their car you do not get any of that pre-payment back. If you lease a car and do not completely and totally understand leasing upside down and backwards you will get taken to the cleaners. End of story. Several hours of research will make you an expert BMW lessee, you will save potentially thousands of dollars, and you won't get that sinking feeling that you just got taken advantage of.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #11
SollyD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utlier View Post
If you're happy, then everyone else should be happy for you. Congrats on your new car. However, next time ask before the deal, not after. If there is one lesson that all who lease should adhere is NO CAP COST REDUCTION ON A LEASE.

There is no upside to a down payment on a lease. You are simply pre-paying your lease. Should you total their car you do not get any of that pre-payment back. If you lease a car and do not completely and totally understand leasing upside down and backwards you will get taken to the cleaners. End of story. Several hours of research will make you an expert BMW lessee, you will save potentially thousands of dollars, and you won't get that sinking feeling that you just got taken advantage of.
so it's the same if I were to put 4k down. i'd lose that too.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 09:51 AM   #12
attorneyscott
Smokin' a Siglo VI...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i, Dinan Stage 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SollyD View Post
correct.

that said, 380/mo to drive a brand-new BMW is dirt cheap IMO.
'08 E92 335i black sapphire/saddle, 6MT, sport/prem., CA, PDC, Sirius, Ipod/usb, HDR, Htd. Sts., Dinan Stage 3 flash/oil cooler/intercooler/exhaust/Stage 3 susp., MORR VS7's, Goodyear Eagle F-1 GS-D3s, BMW Perf. Parts STSK, Dinan/Quaife 3.08 LSD!!
'06 Land Rover Range Rover Supercharged; Zambezi Silver/Ivory/Piano Black Wood, SICK NASTY In Car Entertainment - seriously, will make your brain bleed
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 11:44 AM   #13
0utlier
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 XDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SollyD View Post
This is the part where if you understand BMW leases you'll never throw money away on cap cost reduction. If you have money to put towards your lease, you put it into MSD's (multiple security deposits), not cap cost reduction. With each MSD you get a reduction in MF (money factor). If you put $4000 into MSD's you effectively get roughly 10% return on your money. You also get your $4000 back at the end of the lease. With cap cost reduction you get nothing back and effectively earn no interest. Also, if you total the car you still get your MSD's back. You will never get your cap cost back.

As I now look at where you're located (NY) you cannot do multiple security deposits so all this about MSD's is a moot point for you anyway. Enjoy the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2008, 06:47 AM   #14
SollyD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utlier View Post
This is the part where if you understand BMW leases you'll never throw money away on cap cost reduction. If you have money to put towards your lease, you put it into MSD's (multiple security deposits), not cap cost reduction. With each MSD you get a reduction in MF (money factor). If you put $4000 into MSD's you effectively get roughly 10% return on your money. You also get your $4000 back at the end of the lease. With cap cost reduction you get nothing back and effectively earn no interest. Also, if you total the car you still get your MSD's back. You will never get your cap cost back.

As I now look at where you're located (NY) you cannot do multiple security deposits so all this about MSD's is a moot point for you anyway. Enjoy the car.
lol ok cool. I was like oh man what's all this he's talking about.
Appreciate 0