E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Extended Warranty Questions / Dealer Issue......

07-15-2010, 09:53 AM   #1
pogiboi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e92

Extended Warranty Questions / Dealer Issue......

My 335i is almost 2 months old now and I just brought it in for service (Low mileage annual service). My warranty was supposed to be extended to 51,500 miles since it was a demo car, but i found out that it actually only had 50,000 miles of coverage when i brought it in. I spoke with my sales person and they said they had mistakenly told me wrong, and that it will only have 50,000 miles of coverage. To resolve the issue, they told me they would sell me the 5 yr 100,000 mile warranty for "Employee Cost". Are they just trying to use the situation to sell an extended warranty? Does the cost of the warranty vary based on the features on the car?

I have navi, sports, premium, cold weather, ca, and ipod/usb packages on my car and they are offering the following "Employee Priced" warranty packages. Am I getting ripped off?

BMW Platinum (Includes Electronics) 5 yr 100k - $2850
3rd Party MAP Warranty (Includes Electrionics) 5 yr 100k- $2562
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogiboi View Post
My 335i is almost 2 months old now and I just brought it in for service (Low mileage annual service). My warranty was supposed to be extended to 51,500 miles since it was a demo car, but i found out that it actually only had 50,000 miles of coverage when i brought it in. I spoke with my sales person and they said they had mistakenly told me wrong, and that it will only have 50,000 miles of coverage. To resolve the issue, they told me they would sell me the 5 yr 100,000 mile warranty for "Employee Cost". Are they just trying to use the situation to sell an extended warranty? Does the cost of the warranty vary based on the features on the car?

I have navi, sports, premium, cold weather, ca, and ipod/usb packages on my car and they are offering the following "Employee Priced" warranty packages. Am I getting ripped off?

This is a topic that I'm interested in, because when I got my car back in 12/06, I was of the camp "no way will I ever buy an extended warranty on anything." As I saw how unreliable the 335 is, I slowly changed my tune.

I finally bought my 7/100 Gold yesterday, and it was discounted. I got shut-out at two dealerships in-person so I was kinda skeptical on being able to get a discount.

I just looked at my sheets because one of the dealerships gave me the printout--what you show above, the 5/100 Plat @ $2850 IS THE FULL RETAIL SUGGESTED LIST PRICE. Go tell your dealership to F*** themselves, and when they insist that's a employee price, tell them to read your key, print out the sheets, and let you have them.

My 7/100 Gold was $3490 list, and they discounted it. You may want to consider a 6/100 because that extra year doesn't cost that much more, it lists for $3380. Good luck...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Can you buy the warranty from any dealer in any state? Do you have to be present to do so? The dealers here are pretty useless with the warranties. There was one lady that was the most obnoxious sales person I have ever met. She kept going on and on on how this was a special deal that I better get it now. She kept comparing it to some "other" warranty that she basically just made up saying look the none BMW one is $5k and has a $250 deductible. I hate dealers ugh....
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Can you buy the warranty from any dealer in any state? Do you have to be present to do so? The dealers here are pretty useless with the warranties. There was one lady that was the most obnoxious sales person I have ever met. She kept going on and on on how this was a special deal that I better get it now. She kept comparing it to some "other" warranty that she basically just made up saying look the none BMW one is $5k and has a $250 deductible. I hate dealers ugh....
You can buy a warranty anywhere - but - if it is 3rd party, make sure that BMW dealers will accept it.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
The answer is............YES!! Call around--I found finance mgrs. are not easy to get a hold of, and MANY DID NOT EVEN RETURN MY CALL. Imagine someone so smug that they don't need to write you a $3k warranty, i.e. shuffle papers. Apparently there is not enough markup for them LOL.

The question becomes the key reading. I have seen people on the forum state they sent their keys (one of them) to a dealership? But then someone said that couldn't be done anymore? In my case I was prepared to drive to the dealership (out of state) but was told no need because my car was recently serviced and it's in the system.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
pogiboi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
This is a topic that I'm interested in, because when I got my car back in 12/06, I was of the camp "no way will I ever buy an extended warranty on anything." As I saw how unreliable the 335 is, I slowly changed my tune.

I finally bought my 7/100 Gold yesterday, and it was discounted. I got shut-out at two dealerships in-person so I was kinda skeptical on being able to get a discount.

I just looked at my sheets because one of the dealerships gave me the printout--what you show above, the 5/100 Plat @ $2850 IS THE FULL RETAIL SUGGESTED LIST PRICE. Go tell your dealership to F*** themselves, and when they insist that's a employee price, tell them to read your key, print out the sheets, and let you have them.

My 7/100 Gold was $3490 list, and they discounted it. You may want to consider a 6/100 because that extra year doesn't cost that much more, it lists for $3380. Good luck...
Wow..... thank you for that information. Is there anyway i could get a copy of what you have for proof to them?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

With the life cycle stage we are at with the E9x, extended warranty coverage is becoming an important topic. There are at least a half-dozen query threads. I would like to see a thread/sticky that clearly describes the options and owner experience with sales and coverage.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 10:29 AM   #8
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Wow..... thank you for that information. Is there anyway i could get a copy of what you have for proof to them?
When you go into a dealership and ask to buy an extended warranty, they will have you meet with the finance mgr. He will read your key, and then print out those sheets. They show your name, address, etc., when the car is under warranty until, what service was done so far. He should go over the various plans with you--5/70, 5/100, 6/70, 6/100, 7/70, 7/100, and all the prices are there. They say they're not supposed to give you those sheets, but both dealers that I went to were willing. When the 3rd dealer offered 7% off list, I just took it, since I knew I wanted to get it anyway.

You would want Platinum if you have iDrive....good luck! Just ask them to read your key and show you the printout. Better yet, just ask them to explain the various plans and prices, and once they do, ask for the printout.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 10:33 AM   #9
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When you go into a dealership and ask to buy an extended warranty, they will have you meet with the finance mgr. He will read your key, and then print out those sheets. They show your name, address, etc., when the car is under warranty until, what service was done so far. He should go over the various plans with you--5/70, 5/100, 6/70, 6/100, 7/70, 7/100, and all the prices are there. They say they're not supposed to give you those sheets, but both dealers that I went to were willing. When the 3rd dealer offered 7% off list, I just took it, since I knew I wanted to get it anyway.

You would want Platinum if you have iDrive....good luck! Just ask them to read your key and show you the printout. Better yet, just ask them to explain the various plans and prices, and once they do, ask for the printout.
Yeah none of the dealers I went to even gave me options. They all quoted the 7/100 at like $3500 and that was that. When I asked if they had anything cheaper they said no.

I dont even need 7 years. I have almost 40k on my car and its not even 2 years old. All I care about is really mileage.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 10:40 AM   #10
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah none of the dealers I went to even gave me options. They all quoted the 7/100 at like $3500 and that was that. When I asked if they had anything cheaper they said no.

I dont even need 7 years. I have almost 40k on my car and its not even 2 years old. All I care about is really mileage.
Exactly...all 3 dealerships suggested a 7/70 for me, since I have low miles. But the difference was small, and so I went 7/100 feeling that I can drive as many miles as I want over the next 3 years.

If your car is only 2 y.o., you really don't have to worry about it now, unless the prices go up? I have no idea if that would happen or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 10:45 AM   #11
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Exactly...all 3 dealerships suggested a 7/70 for me, since I have low miles. But the difference was small, and so I went 7/100 feeling that I can drive as many miles as I want over the next 3 years.

If your car is only 2 y.o., you really don't have to worry about it now, unless the prices go up? I have no idea if that would happen or not.
Well I have 40k miles so I only have 10k miles left on my warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 09:42 AM   #12
rambalu80
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Is that 5 years beyond your original 4 years factory warranty (total 9 years) or 5 years including your original 4 years factory warranty (total 5 years)?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambalu80 View Post
Is that 5 years beyond your original 4 years factory warranty (total 9 years) or 5 years including your original 4 years factory warranty (total 5 years)?
It is always total years/miles from first in-service date.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 02:59 PM   #14
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:

Call BMWNA they will probably fix it under a "good will" repair since you are barely over the warranty and the representations the dealer made to you when you purchased it.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 02:47 PM   #15
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

Quote:

my dealer qouted me $3950 for 7 yr 100k miles. If i choose gold for 7 yr 100k, it would be $3450. Yes John is right... you should get platinum only if you have iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #16
redaxe
Rep
Drives: Black 2006 325i 6MT Sport Pkg

I just bought my 2006 BMW 325i from a Ford dealer and they sold me an extended warranty for it at their "employee price" as well, it was like $2,000... and I think it's only good for three years. I think I got ripped off. Thankfully I can cancel it, and I'm going to go do that this weekend.
      07-23-2010, 12:45 PM   #17
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambalu80 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
It is always total years/miles from first in-service date.
I hate when warranties do that, then it really isn't a 5 year warranty and more like a one year warranty. How can they count the original warranty which is a bumper to bumper warranty that also includes maintenance?!
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #18
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
I hate when warranties do that, then it really isn't a 5 year warranty and more like a one year warranty. How can they count the original warranty which is a bumper to bumper warranty that also includes maintenance?!
Yes, it is often very misleading - intentionally of course.

Extended warranties are seldom cost effective unless you drive lots of miles. The warranty may then offset some loss of value due to the miles when you resell the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 07:55 PM   #19
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
Yes, it is often very misleading - intentionally of course.

Extended warranties are seldom cost effective unless you drive lots of miles. The warranty may then offset some loss of value due to the miles when you resell the car.
Sure it's misleading, with the BMW gold if your radiator hose bursts and your motor overheats and sustains damage, you are NOT covered. But what can we do? The alternative is to shell out $1000 after $1000 everytime there is a problem.

Like you said, extended warranties are not cost effective, but BMW's are my only exception thus far in my life....
Appreciate 0