E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Electricians chime in.

01-08-2013, 12:41 AM   #1
wv128bmw
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 128 space grey on red

Electricians chime in.

Short note. Bought a townhouse in October done a complete remodel. New outlets switches and lights. There is six units connected together.

Ok story. Power was out due to car crash Saturday. Electric restored Saturday around 12 pm. Neighbors had flicker lights. Sunday am electrical fire in second unit. Started in a switch on back wall. This morning se time 6 am sixth unit has electrical fire looked like to me outlet on back wall. Today around 11am my unit catches fire in attic. Wire burnt in two in middle of two rafters/ joists no connections, nails or staples within two feet. This is one area I did not touch was copper 14/2 wiring. After talking to everyone today there is 4 complexes of 6 units coming off of same transformer and everyone is having lights dimming clocks acting like electric goes off. One had microwave come on but didn't heat up his coffee. One had his ceiling fan start moving slightly with switch off.

Power company says it can't be them and they checked voltage for a few seconds and claimed their side was fine. Two hours later they had two bucket trucks on transformer for two hours and left without a word.

Yes I have spoke to a lawyer and getting fire Marshalls report. FM said electrical on all three and seemed odd. Not sure what is in report. Please give opinions.
      01-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

The electric company will never take responsibility for anything that happen in your house. With that said, if you lost power due to shorting of the wires or transformer in a crash you could have some pretty large surges coming down the power lines which could have damage the wiring or outlets. The only way to prove that is to send out the fail parts to a lab and had it analyze to see if you has some sort of electrical punch through or insulation break down. Since it was townhomes it likely they are wired all about the same time with a same spool of wire. You could have defective wiring which deteriated over time. Most wire is rated for 600V of you have bad insulation and voltage which hit higher than 600V the insulation could have broken down and then allowed current to jump across wires at 120V.

So if what I said is true you have a house full of bad wires and it may continue to happen so I would recommend you the wire that failed checked out and the fire marshal will not do this since no one died, they are not going to waste their time or money so you can sue someone.

Last edited by Maestro; 01-08-2013 at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
wv128bmw
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 128 space grey on red

Update. The fire Marshall has launched a full investigation. The power company has changed the transformer and is cooperating with all insurance companies and fire Marshall. They have let one owner know that they will help with repairs.
      01-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

that is good to hear, kind of surprising but they may be concern, but like I said you could have faulty wiring and that is not the fault of the electric company. I suspect if they in fact those townhome have sub grade wiring they may condemn your homes until the home could be rewired.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wv128bmw View Post
One had microwave come on but didn't heat up his coffee
Has nothing to do with electricity. This is definitely a magnetron issue, which may or may not have been burned by power surges.