E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK BMW Dealers: General Opinions?

09-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #287
DavS1
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Emfree

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Douglas park, Hamilton in Scotland.

Can't fault them. Very hepfull, never pushy when buying a car, wouldn't deal with anyone else!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 03:46 AM   #288
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW

Ocean BMW (& Mini) Falmouth

We now have a lot of experience of these dealerships, being people in the expensive habit of changing our cars regularly. We are ‘fussy’ customers and over the years have ‘fallen out’ with a number of other dealers (none of them BMW) over poor service. Over the past 5 years or so they have sold us : Used – 1st Gen Mini One & Cooper S, 2nd Gen Mini Cooper D and Cooper S Convertible, BMW 123d, our current 130i LE and recent 320i Edition SE Touring. We also bought a New 1st Gen Cooper from them.

You don’t get a lot of choice in Cornwall as these are the only BMW & Mini dealers in the County, so the temptation is there for them to ‘sit back on their laurels’. Travel to Plymouth or Torbay and you are still in ‘Ocean’ territory. You have to go as far as Exeter, 100 miles away to find a different company with ‘Westerly BMW’. I have bought two cars from them (Used Z4 2.0 M Sport and current 330d Touring) as Ocean didn’t have the right car in stock at the time. We got an excellent deal and faultless customer service both times from Mathew, doing the whole deal (including Part Ex) and arranging a confirmatory test drive over the phone. I can’t fault Westerly’s, but have no experience of their servicing.

At Ocean, we normally deal with James, who was a Mini salesman, but hos now moved to BMW. However the 130i was sold by Stephen, (James was on leave). Stephen was great and maintained the high level of customer service and product knowledge that we normally experience from James up to the point of delivery, but we have been very disapointed that a few things that 'were not ready' on delivery still have not been sorted over 6 months later. So - If you visit Ocean in Falmouth ask to speak to James, his product knowledge and ‘passion’ are faultless. As is his willingness to please. The recent purchase of our 320i is possibly a good example. We needed an estate and a 3 series Touring was ‘top of the list’. However, we were not sure if the Touring would fit in our garage. We asked James if there was a demonstrator we could take home and try. Not a problem, within 20 minutes we were on our way home (unaccompanied) in a 320d Touring to try it in the garage - ‘take as long as you like’ we were told. 2 Hours later we were back and happy that the car satisfied our needs size wise. Whilst we had been away, James had searched the company stock and identified a number of cars within our budget; including the 320i we eventually bought which was in Torbay, 80 miles away. “I can have it here for you to see for Tuesday” we were told (it was currently Saturday). Not having driven a car with the 320i engine I asked if they had any other 3 series available with the same engine – not a problem – we then test drove a 320i Coupe which gave us a feel for the engine, were happy and arranged for the 320i Touring to come down from Torbay (with no commitment to buy unless we were satisfied). On Tuesday morning I got a call to say the car was available, I popped down after work to take a test drive, pointed out a couple of blemishes that needed attending to and the deal was done and ‘the price was right’. When we took delivery a few days later all the work had be done and the car was as expected. (OK, we have since chopped it in for the 330d because we missed the power).

Turning now to the Service/Parts departments; again, nothing but praise here. We have had all our BMWs and Minis looked after by them. Warranty work has been carried out without question and only with 2 visits ‘max’ (one for diagnosis and parts order, the other for fitting). Service costs, though not cheap, are not in the league that some quote on this site. The car is always ready when they say it will be and you can always book a free courtesy car, (a fairly new BMW or Mini) the only down side being the £1k insurance excess!

The only ‘con’ is that, kind as they are to wash your car, it seems to come back dirtier than when it went in. We like to keep our cars pristine and my view is ‘if you are going to wash it – do it properly’. However, in the great scheme of things, no big deal and Ocean Falmouth get the full ‘thumbs up’.

Last edited by Falmouthboy; 01-26-2011 at 06:01 AM.. Reason: Further dealings with them.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 08:23 AM   #289
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i G20 M-Sport Portimao Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carjack View Post
Park Lane BMW, good discount, friendly reception and sales staff, they don't look thro' you as though your something the cat's just brought in.
Since my above post I had the occasion to vist my local Main Dealer for a light wing scatch repair & oil change. (My post 'Dealer Doughnuts' refers)
Walked thro' the auto swing doors, passed the reception desk, with no eye contact from the two girls.
In other words they didn't bother to look at me.
Went to the Service Dept counter: the apertures were all glazed over thro' whitch I could see a row of heads at their computers.
Went back to reception and it was explained, you have now to report to reception first and it was remarked 'we did'nt see you walk in'.
No, because the two were talking together.
OK, so I explained the reason for my visit and during the conversation I realised, although speaking to me, the girl was actually looking at her desk partner, who was engaged, on a more interesting 'phone call!
Was it because I was'nt wearing a collar & tie? I felt somewhat insulted!
Where do these girls come from? Are they the lady friends of the proprietor and planted? They seem basically of a similar type!

I have had much better service from my old days with the Mondeo at Bristol Street Motors!

Why are not people 100%+ focused on their job which pays them money?
Or do they work 'for a laugh' or for what they can get out of it?

Quite contary to the above, I recently dropped in at the BMW Stephen James, Ruxley, Sidcup dealership for some screen washer fluid and I was quite impressed.
The reception staff both welcomed me with a smile and the assistant at the service dept counter was very helpful. All staff were very attentive.
It's just a pity their situated some distance away, otherwise that's where I would go!.

I would like to add that I have no connection whatsoever with BMW Park Lane or BMW Stephen James Ruxley.
Keep smiling!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #290
ComputerKnowHow
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

I don't see much posted about Knights North Staffordshire, but I continue to use them 16 months after the purchase of my AUC 320d and find them friendly and helpful. The salesman who sold me my car remembers my name and always makes the effort to say hi if I've brought the car in for servicing. Receptionists always ask if they can help me, and Louise on service is very helpful. I'm sometimes dressed smartly if I've brought the car in before work, or sometimes I'm in my scruffiest jeans at the weekend. I'm also aged under 30 but I've not had any snobbery off the salesmen. On one occasion no-one offered to help me, but that was because I was poking my nose in a brand new M3 and my disappointed face probably told the story that it was out of my price range...

The car is always returned to me washed and vac'd (although I'm sure they wouldn't wash it if I asked them not to) - I get a text the day before reminding me to bring my car in, and I get a call during the day when my car's in to say it's ready, normally about an hour before they estimated it would be ready.

I recently complained about the state of my alloy wheels. Shortly after I bought it, they started peeling (just the clear stuff, not the paint) and Knights offered to pay to repair two of the wheels if I paid for the other two. It's not the best repair in the world, but since I bought this car out of another dealer's stock via Knights I thought it was fair of them. Other warranty work completed has been the complete replacement of the DSC unit (before they started being repaired rather than replaced) and new headlight units due to excessive condensation, all at no cost to me. In fact, all I've paid for has been two small service items. The charge for the courtesy car is annoying but bearable.

Also had my MOT done on the "Fast Lane" service and it was done exactly as described. Quick, on time, free wi-fi and a nice coffee on their comfy seats whilst I got to watch my MOT being performed though the big windows into the service area.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has any experiences of Knights North Staffs.

Also, bobbed into Blue Bell in Wilmslow over the Christmas period - ran out of washer fluid whilst visiting family and they were very helpful, even though I was only spending around £7 with them!

Last edited by ComputerKnowHow; 01-20-2011 at 09:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 03:40 AM   #291
Rochdale Pioneers
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d SE

Stratstone Chesterfield:

1) Booked car in for a 2 day service to strip down the ac system, find and fix the whistle when the heater is on. Fault had been described in detail, booking confirmed by email for 2 days with courtesy car and collect/return. Guys turn up to collect it, no car, expected return same day. We rang my service contact, he appeared not have filed the paperwork for the 2 day booking and courtesy car. Rebooked for the first available date (2 weeks later)

2) Car goes off last Thursday and arrives back late Friday. Exterior filthy with no word from the drop driver - call him over and ask why and only then does he bother to tell me that their washer is broken. He goes off in the courtesy car. I realise that there is something missing. I've got a Pure Highway DAB setup, with the aerial stuck to the windscreen by the mirror mount, with the wire running round the windscreen trip then into the rubber down the A-pillar. I had left the wire coiled up under the floor mat in the passenger foot well and removed the actual radio unit.

What they have decided to do is tuck the aerial lead inside the roof headlining, then down inside the A-pillar trim behind the airbag, then behind the dashboard leaving just the plug on the end of the wire hanging down into the foot well. Having left the wire well out of the way, and not having asked for anything like this, I rang the garage and asked what they had done? They tried to rebook me in for two weeks on Monday (!) - after some haggling they are collecting it next Thursday for what I assume will be several hours of work to dismantle the dash and trim to free the wire - a good few hundred quid the won't be billing me for.

So there you go. Stratstone BMW Chesterfield. I'm going elsewhere next time....
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 04:32 PM   #292
steveuniq
Rep
Drives: Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemans320d View Post
keep away from stratstone Doncaster.
they advertised a 330d m sport on the net with privacy glass, mudflaps etc and i drove 45 miles to view it after the salesman had confirmed it was fully specced up to find it wasn`t.
they offered to do the privacy glass but i refused as it would be a film on the glass not dyed as factory which is an expensive option.
he then came up with a silly p/x offer and said the photo on the website was the wrong car.
total bunch of wan***s that cant even arrange the right photo to advert so i would not have trusted them any further.
I have to agree. They are my local dealer, use them for my Mini, but on trying to locate a 320d msport touring for £20K they are not in the slightest bit bothered. Annoyingly the sales guy kept telling me that they were one of the largest group of dealers in the Uk and have hundreds of cars moving through there system everyday, but they cant find me one for £20K and Im not asking for the moon on a stick with the spec.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #293
dghdgh
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 sports+

Cooper Teesside do it again.
After the first rate service from the body shop I returned with a flaking alloy which was replaced under warranty without a fuss. The car was returned from the service department washed hoovered and gleaming. The car was supplied by another dealer but it will be Coopers who I use for service. 10 out of 10 from me.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 03:03 AM   #294
Tippo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mk2 TT V6 quattro

Nice dealer experience for a change.

Rybrook Worcester is just down the road from where I work (now and then). So used them this time for a 'third' oil service and also to get a near side alloy refurbed (not kerbed but the previous repair done somewhere else, Benhams, was coming off).

Everthing was done with no probs and was given more detailed checklists of what was done than any other BMW dealer I had been too so far (Benhams in Wolves btw).

Not exactly cheap at £414 for the lot but sure it would have cost more in Wolves or Oldbury for that matter, plus I would have had to take time off work going to those places or wait for at least 4 weeks or so to use a courtesy car and pay for it.

The vacum and seat clean was done well too for a change, the last time at Benhams it was dirtier on pick up than when it went in.

Also all the staff on the way said Thank You, which is also nice to see in a dealership rather than just a wry smile as if to say "we have just pulled your pants down and you know it", although I guess they are thinking that anyhows.

Hoorah.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #295
Sparks69
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Touring

Bought my 10 plate 320d Touring from Rybrook in Warwick, very impressed they actually sold me a car rather than expecting me to buy it from them (unlike most BMW dealers I have dealt with). gave me a good p/x deal on my Passhat. They also beat an internet broker price on a new 520d Touring for my brother which he has now ordered from them.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 07:49 PM   #296
mv57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

New to BMWs but already had experience with some garages.

Scothall Hampshire: service department would not give me quote for software upgrade. Family do not use them anymore after selling an 850 with different number plates on the front and back. other issues have arrisen. Cashier left early so they would not release car and had to go back the next day.

Berry chiswisk: Service department dont seem to care. part department coudlnt care less about what you want. But you get a bacon sandwich in the morning @ high labour rates. They told me to go to halfords. I shite you not. Test drove a filthy car from sales depeartment.

Dick Lovett swindon: service depart seem friendly but i have lost my confidence with them from last weeks service.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #297
sim303
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i coupe

Barons BMW Hindhead:

One of the smaller establishments in the scheme of things. Most of my experience is with the parts dept, courtesy of my trusty e36 325i coupe

Parts chaps always helpful and accomodating.

Bodyshop - simply superb. They carried out three separate repairs on my 325, two major (t-boned door and sill; pranged wheelarch; t-boned rear-quarter). Each repair was a flawless, factory finish. Very impressive.

Sales - only one experience (AUC), all went very well, was very surprised that their finance was as good as the very best I could find on the open market.

Service - only a couple of experiences, all seemed fine, highlighted some obscure but valid items (indicating a thorough check) - no complaints.

All in all, positive experiences.

sim

P
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 09:30 AM   #298
b4d4bing
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d //M Sport Touring

Douglas park in glasgow kyle street. Just bought a bmw 320d touring from them and it has been amazing dealing with them. this is my 5th car from them and they treated us like it was. The chap that sold it was Peter Coyle. Couldn't ask for better service and non pushy.

would highly recommend them all.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #299
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

Vines - Guildford ..... I have bought two cars off them (a Z4M R and a 320d). They have been superb, both in sales and service ... probably the best dealer I have used ... I will continue to use them with my latest acquisition ... their staff - both sales, service desk and mechanics are always helpful, interested and take time to talk to you. I can't really say more than that !

Elms - Cambridge. Bought my latest car; a 330d off them last week. A painless process (well apart from the obvious cost). They are 110 miles from me so service will not get used ... but their sales were totally fine - good trade in value and car exactly as described. No pressure ... good straightforward staff and a nice clean car - well, I suppose at 9 months old it should be though.

Chandlers - Worthing. Tried a car there (a Z4 35i) before settling on a 330d elsewhere (as above). Also made enquiries about a 335d ... but they sold it before I could get there. Enthusiastic staff who were keen to try and help. No pressure - and though they clearly wanted to find me something they are a dealer I would revisit. Good straight price for my car first up without haggling - which I thought was better than many who you seem to automatically have to refuse the first couple of offers and play games with ... no such dealings with Chandlers - just the car they had wasn't for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 02:45 AM   #300
jotty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320I CONV

Williams Bolton, coil packs and engine software, 2 new rear wheels all replaced under warranty with no problems. After initial misgivings they where great.

Oil service and MOT also done for £190, got a discount for all the hassle in waiting for wheels etc.

Would go back again no problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #301
kaiser
Driving a 5-series and loving it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520d

Knights North Staffs are my dealer and I only have good things to say about them. I am on my third car from them (mini cooper, 320d & 318i touring) and I they have never let me down. If you are going there to buy a used car ask for James Quigley he is excellent. They brought my car down from Dundee with no problems at all.

Also they have a Starbucks!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 12:58 PM   #302
rjs
Major
England
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
'09 M3 (e93)  [10.00]
Solihull

Nice to see my thread is still going after all these years!

Looking at swapping the 335i now, probably for a new-ish m3

Decided to pop to Solihull, even though they fared badly last time! Submitted test drive request over the internet which appears to have been lost - cue apologies from stealer.

Still, managed to get a test drive. Salesman was fairly knowledgeable and not too pushy.

Just need to negotiate my departure from the company car scheme now

E93 M3
| Azurite Black | Extended Bamboo Leather | Piano Black Trim | 19" 220M Wheels | Shadowline Trim | Edition Grills
M DCT | HDD iDrive | EDC | Bluetooth | Front & Rear PDC | Heated Seats | DAB Radio | Hi-Fi Speakers | USB Audio | SmartTOP
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 04:43 AM   #303
stan_betz
Rep
Drives: Black colour, 5.2metres long

I am happy with my dealer!! I have continued with him for last 6 years
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 04:48 AM   #304
mv57
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan_betz View Post
I am happy with my dealer!! I have continued with him for last 6 years
Complements where complements are due...
Name them...

E9X Picture game / 5 MPH / double bhp / The Beatles zebra crossing / Gordon Ramsays restaurant / Michelin star /
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 10:51 PM   #305
ctch22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Wanted to quickly share my experience of buying my first BMW from Stratstone Harrogate.

Not the smoothest experience and has left me pretty disappointed with my first experience dealing with BMW dealers, anyway

Bought around 4 months ago, sales guy John meyers was pretty helpful - like any average salesman. Went to pick up the car few days later and just about to leave dealership when noticed that the advertised car mats hadnt been included - was assured that they would be delivered within the next few days (to leeds).

After 3- 4 weeks, much chasing up and many unanswered phone calls later sales guy finally sent the mats.

Recently had a service light come on, and dropped into Scotthall Leeds to ask about it, also while i was there asked the service guy why my rear parking sensors where purple. He told me that they are stock parking sensors and Harrogate stratstone has forgotten to paint them - told me to pop back there and they should be able to paint them.

So rang up harrogate and the lady at the desk told me i should speak to the sales guy (John) - anyway no surprises to how the conversation with him went, was met with the standard "yeah - its not covered by the warranty" monotonous response with no hint of helpfulness.

I was annoyed by his response and he told me that if the sensors where purple at the dealership then someone would have DEFINITELY noticed - and had the cheek to suggest that I have done something to sensors.

Even more annoyed, I reminded him of how he forgot to included the car mats (and reset the MOT indicator) and that everyone working there is human and can make mistakes

But he just wasnt having any of it and persisted that they were not purple when the car left the dealership (they were infact purple from the day i bought the car but didnt give much thought to them till scothall leeds guy cleared it up)

Anyway the conversation pretty much ended with him raising his voice down the phone and repeating several times "why are you ringing me after 4 months, i just sells cars and cant do anything for you anymore" - told me that the manager will ring (he never rang)

I can live with the parking sensors being purple but amazed at the change in the salesmans tone post-sale; so much for your after sales care BMW!

Also felt like he could justify raising his voice at me due my age (early 20s) and maybe wouldnt have done so with a more senior customer - most annoyed at this!

Dont know what you guys think - clearly many others have had much better experiences, just a bummer that my first time buying a BMW wasnt as smooth as expected - but love the car and the drive!

And hope no one else comes across john!

[end of rant - apologies for the long post]
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 05:09 AM   #306
Dr G13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3

So i got back from a long 5 month stint abroad working and my 335i's idrive system told me that a brake fluid service was now due.

So I called all my local dealers in Peter Vardy and Eastern Bmw and they both just left me on hold the 3 times i called them each and failed to get even a price from one dealer, Peter Vardy wanted 120 plus vat. So I came to the conclusion that I will not be ever visiting any of my local dealers as they simply didn't seem interested in giving me a price let alone booking my car in.

I then called Menzies Stirling and the girl that picked up was very helpful and told me straight away the price they could do would be 90 inc vat. Perfect I thought, called on monday morning booked in for thursday morning, great.

Got there yesterday morning about an hour later than I had booked in for, no problems at all they told me Its gonna take around an hour or two and one of the chaps dropped me off at the local shopping centre, I got bored so decicded to walk back after an hour and wait in the showroom, about 5 mins later guy came up told me my car was ready, perfect.

But it was only to get better, he told me the car didnt need a lot of brake fluid so it was going to be less than 90, how much less? a whopping £49 inc vat all in which included a wash and vac.

Checked car over, everything was fine, no scratches etc no dodgy stuff.

So all in all highly reccomend these guys, I mean i was ready to pay 90 and if they hit me with that I would not be complaining as thats the price i was told but to walk out with the service done at a bmw dealer with a bmw stamp on my book I have to say its quite remarkable it was half the price.

I payed specialist prices for bmw dealer, moral of the story, shop around!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #307
ozman75
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 320d

Went into Benham at Wolverhampton today for a oil service and brake fluid change cost £275 all in. Overall experience was good, friendly helpful receptionist. Only gripe was they quoted £60 to change a dipped beam bulb, which i flatly declined, otherwise good.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 03:37 PM   #308
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

In terms of sales Sytner Sheffield have been superb. Not just the BDM I dealt with but any member of staff I've spoken to. And they haven't known whether I'm buying or I've bought so that's a good sign. We'll see how it goes come service time but that's at least a year away.

I've also bought the inclusive service package at £350 because it's a bit of a no brainer.
Appreciate 0