E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Lurchy start from a stop

05-06-2014, 12:42 AM   #1
djpro1
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 E93 335i

Lurchy start from a stop

Hi guys

When I come to a full stop at a set of lights and as the lights turn green, I let off on the brakes and I feel like I'm being lurched forward by a quiet clunk noise. I have an auto.

It's more noticeable on a small hill where the car would roll back a little until the lurch and it would be a rough acceleration forward.

I'd say I get this about 25% of the time when I drive and it continues until I turn the car off and return after a few hours then it's smooth again.

Anyone else having this issue?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 01:38 AM   #2
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
I never did, but a former roommate's 325i had this issue; it's a problem with the suspension. Which part exactly, I wish I remembered but hope another member knows.
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 02:57 AM   #3
Testercles
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335iA

I get something similar for the first 15 or so minutes usually where coming off the brakes the car sits there and then seems to clunk and move on, kind of like the brakes are sticking on. That said my brakes have only about 5000km left on them so that doesn't help I'm sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 06:31 AM   #4
R3N
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: None

Neutral Idle Control. Google it.

Only happens when the car is in warm up phase. Had it on mine, others didn't. Flashed the Alpina TCU software and it went. I would hazard a guess that any of the later transmission software would do the same.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 07:40 AM   #5
Testercles
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335iA

Beauty, so it's an annoying design, not a fault. I can deal with that now.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 07:44 AM   #6
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

have you tried a tranny flush and adding a fresh dose of high quality fluid such as redline?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 12:09 AM   #7
djpro1
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

No haven't done a flush

I'm at 91k kms now. Does anyone know what the 100k service is like?

I've got spark plugs on the way, then the usual oil change and oil filter, top up of fluids.

Anything else major? Tranny fluid?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 12:32 AM   #8
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpro1 View Post
No haven't done a flush

I'm at 91k kms now. Does anyone know what the 100k service is like?

I've got spark plugs on the way, then the usual oil change and oil filter, top up of fluids.

Anything else major? Tranny fluid?
Definately do a flush with say redline D4 ATF.

Waterpump, Thermostat is highly reccomended if it hasn't been change. Lots of guys have been caught out where when the pump fails it shuts the car down and leaves you stranded.

Also the HPFP also craps out quite often, which will cause long cranks or just crap itself and go into limp mode (pretty much undriveable in limp mode in my experience!)

And with those kilometres an intake clean would definately help (may also be contributing to the lurchy starts)

As a side note I was experiencing a 'lurch' at low speeds, put some new O2 sensor in and two new vanos solenoids and that transformed the car (I'm MT though, so that may be an entirely different issue to what you're experiencing!)
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 12:50 AM   #9
djpro1
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Definately do a flush with say redline D4 ATF.

Waterpump, Thermostat is highly reccomended if it hasn't been change. Lots of guys have been caught out where when the pump fails it shuts the car down and leaves you stranded.

Also the HPFP also craps out quite often, which will cause long cranks or just crap itself and go into limp mode (pretty much undriveable in limp mode in my experience!)

And with those kilometres an intake clean would definately help (may also be contributing to the lurchy starts)

As a side note I was experiencing a 'lurch' at low speeds, put some new O2 sensor in and two new vanos solenoids and that transformed the car (I'm MT though, so that may be an entirely different issue to what you're experiencing!)
Thanks

The waterpump was replaced by the previous owner who got stranded and I replaced the crapped out HPFP when I bought the car as it had 0 boost lol..

If an intake clean is needed, can I just get a set of DCI cones to replace them?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 05:23 AM   #10
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpro1 View Post
Thanks

The waterpump was replaced by the previous owner who got stranded and I replaced the crapped out HPFP when I bought the car as it had 0 boost lol..

If an intake clean is needed, can I just get a set of DCI cones to replace them?
Haha nah sorry what i mean by the intake clean is the intake valves carbon up due to the direct injection operation of the engine.

This causes a rough idle, abrupt power delivery and higher fuel consumption. To remove this carbon buildup you have to remove the intake manifold and do a walnut blast or spend hrs removing the gunk on the valves by hand with rifle brushes and cab cleaner which is a rather large task. Google walnut blast n54.
Appreciate 0