E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > confused newbie....what is a REMAP?

03-18-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
confused newbie....what is a REMAP?

ok guys...

I want to know what does a "remap" involve exactly?

I know that when changing an exhaust and an induction kit, well...I can see a brand new exhaust and the induction kit, and I can also hear the noise! lol....

What does a "remap" involve and how does the unit/ chip look like? some people talk about getting "rollin" dynos etc....and talk about tryin different maps?...Am I right to think that its some kind of trial and error thing? As how come some people with same cars and same performance parts can get different bhp figures? (there is also the issue with some dynos giving different readings etc)

Does adding a "remap" or chip, involve removing any BMW ecu?

I always hear people talk about a remap and I do use the word a few times lol, but deep inside I ain't got a bloody clue what it is exactly!!!....

All I've read on previous forums is that, to gain good performance from a remap, you have to install a good full exhaust system ( from header to the back box) and an induction kit first. Then the modded ECU/ Remap will be able to use efficiently these other mods....

Anyone can bother explaining what it involves? and what are the cost approx.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
A re-map increases turbo boost, ups the fueling and alters the ignition timing, to increase power and torque levels which in turn inreases performance,

Early re-maps did involve removing the ECU to embed the Map which was wired into a laptop.

Now they can do this via the OBD port.
      03-18-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
madman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Above

You'll need to tell him what an OBD port and ECU is carl.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 05:02 PM   #4
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
So, do they just plug in a laptop in my car and then I get charged for it?....no parts or what so ever? hmmm/....or do I get a little small computer chip? about 2 inches in length?...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 05:10 PM   #5
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

OK...

Think of the ECU as the main computer that controls the car's engine. The ECU has software on it, normally called the map, which controls amongst other things fuelling, throttle valve positioning, air/fuel mixture, turbo boost (in the case of turbo engines) and also gearbox shift points and management (in the case of an auto)

Tuning companies create new ECU maps to boost power - this is normally done by increasing the fuelling rate (more fuel gives bigger bang), upping the boost levels of the turbo (more boost = more power), and also changing the ignition point to a more advanced cycle. There are a number of other factors and parameters that may be changed as well.

This new map is then loaded on to the ECU by one of two ways - either the ECU is removed and the chip plugged into a 'loader' unit so that the new map can be uploaded, or alternatively the ECU can be programmed via the OBD Port (or computer port) that is found in the driver's side footwell. In both these cases, the ECU program is rewritten by the new software created by the tuning house - hence the name "remap"

There is another way to improve performance, and that is by way of using an external box, or piggyback unit, like a Procede box or JuiceBox 3. This piggyback box connects via cabling to the ECU, and in the most simple terms artifically 'fools' the ECU computer into thinking that certain variables have changed, thereby tricking the ECU itself to increase boost pressure, or fuelling etc etc...

Both solutions, the remap and the piggyback box, have their advantages and disadvantages... The final result is largely the same - some would argue that the ECU remap is a more elegant solution because it is invisible to the eye (although technically it can be seen by BMW if they were to investigate the computer programming itself). Others prefer the piggyback option because it can be removed at a later stage to maintain total invisibility.

As to how much each option costs? Every tuning company has a different price, and each piggyback unit is also priced differently. Essentially, look to spend I think a minimum of £500 on a ECU performance increase... the forum sponsors will be the people to speak to, and will give you more advice and also accurate pricing...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
No little chip. They upload software to your car,

Which increases boost and fuel and alters ignirtion timing as i said.

increasign boost makes power, but with out increased fuel to match will melt a piston...
      03-18-2009, 05:18 PM   #7
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
cheers guys!!!...that piggy back idea is actually quite interesting...will start to research ...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
G33
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
cheers guys!!!...that piggy back idea is actually quite interesting...will start to research ...
no need to investigate really mate. the Procede and BMS JB3 are the only ones to go for. the others arent simply hardcore enough why go semi skimmed when u can go full fat
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 05:46 PM   #9
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G33 View Post
no need to investigate really mate. the Procede and BMS JB3 are the only ones to go for. the others arent simply hardcore enough why go semi skimmed when u can go full fat
To lose weight...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 05:53 PM   #10
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
yeah good point bizzlay.
      03-18-2009, 06:10 PM   #11
G33
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Good point

knew i shud have left that remark off my post
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 06:16 PM   #12
madman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Above

Nice write up Tony.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 01:50 AM   #13
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
http://onsmart.co.uk/index2.php?opti...do_pdf=1&id=42
      03-19-2009, 07:22 AM   #14
MO_1
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D M SPORT

Garage List
Hi i have been quoted £250+Vat for a remap, this sounds like a brilliant price, it is normally £300+ but as the guy quoted the wrong price he said he will do it for that. Are there any questions i need to ask? like software manufacturer etc? the gains he has said it will give are 45 BHP and 70 NM
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 07:37 AM   #15
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO_1 View Post
Hi i have been quoted £250+Vat for a remap, this sounds like a brilliant price, it is normally £300+ but as the guy quoted the wrong price he said he will do it for that. Are there any questions i need to ask? like software manufacturer etc? the gains he has said it will give are 45 BHP and 70 NM
It is extremely important that whoever does the mapping has a good track history and reputation. There are in fact very few good remappers, whilst there are many many terrible companies who claim they know what they are doing. There are lots of factors you need to be aware of, not least the software that is being used. You don't want someone to damage your engine or gearbox because they've been too aggressive or because they've removed the safety limits... Why don't you PM me the details of the company/person who is doing the remap for you, and I'll tell you if they are any good?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 08:51 AM   #16
illingworth22
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
It is extremely important that whoever does the mapping has a good track history and reputation. There are in fact very few good remappers, whilst there are many many terrible companies who claim they know what they are doing. There are lots of factors you need to be aware of, not least the software that is being used. You don't want someone to damage your engine or gearbox because they've been too aggressive or because they've removed the safety limits... Why don't you PM me the details of the company/person who is doing the remap for you, and I'll tell you if they are any good?
Any chance we could have a post (Stickie'd) for all reports and comments on re maps? Members could then post there results and give a before and after report!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 11:52 AM   #17
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by illingworth22 View Post
Any chance we could have a post (Stickie'd) for all reports and comments on re maps? Members could then post there results and give a before and after report!
I have thought about this, and unfortunately it is going to get very hard to keep the information concise as there are SO many people getting remaps and posting up results. It will very quickly get out of hand.

However, what I am considering is making a global tuning thread with all the pertinent information in it, and with links to individual forum member's reviews. It will take me a little time to write, but I think it will be a worthwhile addition to the UK Technical section.

Please give me a little time!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #18
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
At the risk of sounding boring, don't forget to investigate with your insurance company. If you have an incident and they find that your car is faster than stock because of a map, they will shaft you. Ok, the odds may be low, but I personally wouldn't risk it.
      03-20-2009, 03:33 PM   #19
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
At the risk of sounding boring, don't forget to investigate with your insurance company. If you have an incident and they find that your car is faster than stock because of a map, they will shaft you. Ok, the odds may be low, but I personally wouldn't risk it.

cheers for the heads up mate!
Appreciate 0