E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Sheep skin and winter grime

01-16-2007, 01:22 AM   #1
FlyingFinn
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Sheep skin and winter grime

What tools do you guys use to get rid of the stubborn dirt especially winter time? I think lambs wool washing mitts are too gentle to remove the grime. I have tried various shampoos (Zaino, Megs, Mothers...) and solvent washes but they just don't do the trick. Is my only option to start using sponge? I wouldn't want to do that because sponge + jet black = swirls.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2007, 08:31 AM   #2
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

Are you using a rinseless wash? If you have a hose use it to remove most of the stuck on crap then wash.

Alternatively a lot of guys at Autopia like grout sponges.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2007, 01:31 AM   #3
FlyingFinn
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus
Are you using a rinseless wash? If you have a hose use it to remove most of the stuck on crap then wash.

Alternatively a lot of guys at Autopia like grout sponges.
I always rinse the car very carefully before washing. I even spray the Würth solvent wash: http://www.pineline.info/tiedosto.php?id=1452 to the surface and rinse it after couple of minutes with moderate pressure.

Last time I washed small area with sponge and dirt came off quite easily. I'm just scared to see what the paint looks like after couple of washes with sponge. Jet black is so damn soft.

What are these grout sponges like?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2007, 08:26 AM   #4
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000BYCNI?...P793SPJ9RGK4N&

That's what they look like; they are used to grout tiles. They are very soft and tend to do a good job, and you can imagine how anal I am.

Check out autopia.org and do a search for grout sponge, and you'll see some of the detailers there use them and have some how-to's.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 12:36 AM   #5
FlyingFinn
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000BYCNI?...P793SPJ9RGK4N&

That's what they look like; they are used to grout tiles. They are very soft and tend to do a good job, and you can imagine how anal I am.

Check out autopia.org and do a search for grout sponge, and you'll see some of the detailers there use them and have some how-to's.
Thank you. I have to try one of those.
Appreciate 0