E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Need a FMIC! Suggestions & your experinces with yours?

08-25-2010, 08:43 AM   #67
timtech
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe View Post
To all the people saying just get meth and no intercooler, if you think about cost effectiveness for a meth kit vs an intercooler, intercooler is a one time purchase. Meth runs out, you spend 50-100 bucks for a 5 gallon drum. And again. And again. Suddenly meth, the 'best option' costs more out the box +install, and you keep having to refill it which adds to the overall cost.

I don't wanna hear anything about you only need it when racing. A lot of my customers do drive spiritedly, and the intercooler is being used a lot more often than just 'full throttle runs here and there'.

Case in point. One of my customers (themyst) has meth and a stock intercooler. Towards the end of a 4th gear pull, back to back runs, the stock intercooler would quickly heatsoak and charge temps in the manifold would still be going up regardless if he was spraying meth.

His ETS intercooler came in, we installed it and off he went. Under the same conditions he ran again. Now his charge temps were remaining much cooler during the run, and also not increasing drastically at all. They actually remained pretty consistent across the board in addition to only being 30 degrees hotter than ambient.

Another case in point. Dan (ultimateendz) has the helix core. When datalogging on the the jb3 with the upgraded turbos the second night out with the car, temps were never more than 20 degrees over ambient. And he doesn't spray meth. Outside air temps were in the 68-70 degree range, and at the end of a 0-173.5mph pass, intake air temps were at 91 degrees. The next run up to 170 produced a 93 degree intake temp. If i was using meth i would've had to pull over and refill lol.

IMO an intercooler serves a lot better to the wallet and to the car than a meth kit does.
Don't forget the pressure drop - so the turbos aren't working as hard producing more heat.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #68
PandaBear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i X-Drive

Garage List
2009 335i X-Drive  [0.00]
2007 328xi  [0.00]
my question is why does everyone say Helix is the best and then you have people say that the way the end tanks are made isn't as good compared to other brand's fmic
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 12:10 PM   #69
ryan@ActiveAutowerke
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaBear View Post
my question is why does everyone say Helix is the best and then you have people say that the way the end tanks are made isn't as good compared to other brand's fmic
+1
Appreciate 0