E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW 335i (N54) turbo warranty extended for wastegate issues to 8yrs/82k miles

08-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #375
Fitz335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i Estoril Blue

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
They get a kick back from BMW NA for that?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #376
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Took my car in this morning...Had to pay $135 diagnostic fee for them to look at the turbos.

Already got a phone call with them trying to say it is my muffler causing the rattle...not a good sign. I told them I knew for a fact it was coming from the turbos/wastegates and they said they will do further diagnostics.

Expecting another BS phone call or an expensive estimate to fix with an excuse why they can't cover it under warranty....

Any advice?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #377
Greatdane84
Leeeroy Jankins
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e90 LCI

Garage List
2009 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by glachhman
I went in for battery recall and my dealer volunteered to replace both turbos.
Lucky mother...

Had u noticed the rattle? In guessing they noticed it pretty quickly

"If you're not 1st, you're last" -Ricky Bobby
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #378
jlombar5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 bmw 335i

do you have to have a cpo warranty from BMW or do they replace them as a recall/defective part?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #379
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe (6-speed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertt View Post
Took my car in this morning...Had to pay $135 diagnostic fee for them to look at the turbos.

Already got a phone call with them trying to say it is my muffler causing the rattle...not a good sign. I told them I knew for a fact it was coming from the turbos/wastegates and they said they will do further diagnostics.

Expecting another BS phone call or an expensive estimate to fix with an excuse why they can't cover it under warranty....

Any advice?
Not really advice, but I bought my car in for what I thought was the wastegate rattle... turns out I was right. But my SA called and said there was some rattling from my muffler as well (something to do with a hose?). My SA said they didn't replace the part, but tried to fix it instead (very nice of them!).

But, I was charged TWO diagnostic fees (one for engine light & one for rattle). Both were waved once it was determined the wastegate rattle/turbos caused the engine light.

If I had any advice... I'd call BMW NA, ask them about the wastegate warranty, and have them make a note of it in your file. Then, if your dealer denies it, I'd try another dealership. If it turns out to be the wastegate, then I'd dispute the diagnostic charges. (Tough to say since I got lucky with my dealer and they took care of it for me... even at 58k) Good Luck!
      08-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #380
litxus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertt View Post

Any advice?
You can try disconnecting the can flap (trunk driver's side tail light area) and see if it still makes the noise. In my case I thought it was the turbo, but it was the flap.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #381
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteak View Post
Not really advice, but I bought my car in for what I thought was the wastegate rattle... turns out I was right. But my SA called and said there was some rattling from my muffler as well (something to do with a hose?). My SA said they didn't replace the part, but tried to fix it instead (very nice of them!).

But, I was charged TWO diagnostic fees (one for engine light & one for rattle). Both were waved once it was determined the wastegate rattle/turbos caused the engine light.

If I had any advice... I'd call BMW NA, ask them about the wastegate warranty, and have them make a note of it in your file. Then, if your dealer denies it, I'd try another dealership. If it turns out to be the wastegate, then I'd dispute the diagnostic charges. (Tough to say since I got lucky with my dealer and they took care of it for me... even at 58k) Good Luck!
Thanks! I plan on calling BMWNA if they decide to deny the warranty for whatever reason. I know with 100% certainty that both wastegates are rattling, and it's getting worse. The rear turbo rattles more than the front turbo.

The SA did acknowledge that there was an extended warranty on the turbos and when he moved the car to do the walk-around inspection, he even said he heard the rattle. Just a little surprised they "turned a blind eye" to the wastegate rattle when it is very apparent, and tried to blame my muffler flap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by litxus View Post
You can try disconnecting the can flap (trunk driver's side tail light area) and see if it still makes the noise. In my case I thought it was the turbo, but it was the flap.
It's definitely the wastegates. I took a few videos right before I brought it in so if they still try to insist it's my muffler flap, i'll have to break them out.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #382
KhanhyeEast
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black on Black

Went into my local dealership and was denied the claim. They had the lead tech come out and listen for the rattle, which he confirmed. They denied claim saying that it was the actuator which by the new June of 2013 bulletin says that its not covered any longer.

They did no real diagnostic, just turned the car on stepped on the pedel, let it decelerate and heard the loud and obvious chatter.

Would I be wrong to go to another dealership for a second opinion?

Anybody from the New England area have a better experience with their dealership? My local dealer treated me as if they could care less, they told me theres nothing they can do about it and to "come back when you have the money to fix it"
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 01:09 AM   #383
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe (6-speed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanhyeEast View Post
Went into my local dealership and was denied the claim. They had the lead tech come out and listen for the rattle, which he confirmed. They denied claim saying that it was the actuator which by the new June of 2013 bulletin says that its not covered any longer.

They did no real diagnostic, just turned the car on stepped on the pedel, let it decelerate and heard the loud and obvious chatter.

Would I be wrong to go to another dealership for a second opinion?

Anybody from the New England area have a better experience with their dealership? My local dealer treated me as if they could care less, they told me theres nothing they can do about it and to "come back when you have the money to fix it"
My SA offered one of the techs to come out for a ride along. He did, and heard the rattle multiple times, and witnessed my "half engine" light come on. I don't think revving it does it justice.

So, NO, you wouldn't be wrong going to get a 2nd opinion. Especially when you spent all this money on luxury car, and now there's a $4k+ problem that's covered by the manufacturer.
      08-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #384
ThinkPink!
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanondemand View Post
I have an American 335i originally purchased from Oregon, then had the car imported/registered in Canada. Does this warranty still apply to my ex-US car?
I remember reading somewhere about a fellow ex-US BMW owner, who lived in Calgary and made the trek to the US to fix his car.

I am currently going through this myself, and I'm actually typing from the waiting lounge at the BMW dealer.

The diagnostic came positive: my wastegates are faulty, hence my turbos need replacing. The SA mentioned earlier that he couldn't confirm today as the warranty person was away, but he said BMW maybe rethinking about covering ex-US cars, which IMO is an invalid argument.

The SIB clearly states that it applies to Settlement Class Members’ vehicles. Only exceptions being cars evidencing modifications or alterations made to the turbocharger or its wastegates, or evidencing other conditions not normally covered under the original New Vehicle/SAV Limited Warranty or applicable emissions warranty. The exportation of the vehicle to Canada is not one of those conditions not normally covered, hence our ex-US cars should still be covered as they were originally covered by the BMW NA warranty, and still are.

I will keep you posted.

Click here to take a look at some of my E90 inspired t-shirts!

Last edited by ThinkPink!; 08-16-2013 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 05:09 PM   #385
vanondemand
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M/T

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Sweet that would be great thanks!
I don't mind driving 20 minutes across the border for some new turbos if they are defective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkPink! View Post
I remember reading somewhere about a fellow ex-US BMW owner, who lived in Calgary and made the trek to the US to fix his car.

I am currently going through this myself, and I'm actually typing from the waiting lounge at the BMW dealer.

The diagnostic came positive: my wastegates are faulty, hence my turbos need replacing. The SA mentioned earlier that he couldn't confirm today as the warranty person was away, but he said BMW maybe rethinking about covering ex-US cars, which IMO is an invalid argument.

The SIB clearly states that it applies to Settlement Class Members’ vehicles. Only exceptions being cars evidencing modifications or alterations made to the turbocharger or its wastegates, or evidencing other conditions not normally covered under the original New Vehicle/SAV Limited Warranty or applicable emissions warranty. The exportation of the vehicle to Canada is not one of those conditions not normally covered, hence our ex-US cars should still be covered as they were originally covered by the BMW NA warranty, and still are.

I will keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #386
SCS15
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

Didn't get a chance to read the thread recently but are you guys getting loaners when getting this done?

I'm at 69k and my rattle got really bad last few months. Just don't feel like bringing it back to stock ugh. My friend is an SA so maybe he can work around it.
JB4 G5 - Forge FMIC - VRSF V2 DP - Magnaflow 15529 Catback Exhaust - BMS Clutch Stop - BMS DCI - CDV Delete - Dinan Stage 3 Suspension - 19x8.5/10 Forgestar F14 Gloss Gunmetal - Michelin PSS - M-Sport Front & Rear - M3 Side Skirts - OEM M3 Decklid Spoiler - BMW Performance Grilles - ZHP Shift Knob - M-Sport Steering Wheel - M-Sport Door Sills
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #387
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDrago1926 View Post
Isn't it just the wastegate?

I posted on the forum and I am completely stock... all though I just ordered a ton of crap...

OEM Plugs
OEM Coils
BMS DCI
VRSF FMIC

and OpenFlash Tablet/AA BOV kit next

Tons of crap to throw on once all my maintenance is normal.
Did you ever get your WG rattle looked at? If not send me a PM, I'd like to get you in contact with someone who might be able to help you our?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #388
deamon32
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 135i

I took my car into Crevier BMW this morning to get the rattling wastegate fixed.
Apart from different wheels, the car is stock with no modifications whatsoever.
44,000 miles, 2009 135i e82

At the end of the day my SA called me and told me that the tech did determine that the waste gates were the cause of the rattle but that BMW NA denied my warranty claim... I asked for additional information about this, specifically what the cause for the denial was, and he was unable to give me any additional information.

I then proceeded to call BMW NA and after speaking to Tier 1 and then Tier 2 support the only information I was given was that back in 2011, the person was unable to give me a specific date or even a month, my VIN was flagged to void my warranty. I once again asked for a reason of why this was done and the person was unable to give me a reason.

While picking up my car from the dealer I asked to speak to the service manager, once again the only information I was given was that my VIN was flagged to void my warranty but he was unable to give me a reason for this.

I am kind of stuck at this point, but I plan on calling BMW NA again, and calling the dealership once more because there has to be a reason for the "voided warranty" and the denial of the warranty claim on the waste gates.
      08-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #389
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by glachhman View Post
I went in for battery recall and my dealer volunteered to replace both turbos.

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #390
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

My dealer just told me if you complain about the turbos, and they find nothing wrong, they charge a diagnostic fee. Is that true? This is even with CPO. In other words, they find nothing, there's a $120 charge. They find something, $50 charge plus they do the repair free.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #391
litxus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by deamon32 View Post
I took my car into Crevier BMW this morning to get the rattling wastegate fixed.
Apart from different wheels, the car is stock with no modifications whatsoever.
44,000 miles, 2009 135i e82

At the end of the day my SA called me and told me that the tech did determine that the waste gates were the cause of the rattle but that BMW NA denied my warranty claim... I asked for additional information about this, specifically what the cause for the denial was, and he was unable to give me any additional information.

I then proceeded to call BMW NA and after speaking to Tier 1 and then Tier 2 support the only information I was given was that back in 2011, the person was unable to give me a specific date or even a month, my VIN was flagged to void my warranty. I once again asked for a reason of why this was done and the person was unable to give me a reason.

While picking up my car from the dealer I asked to speak to the service manager, once again the only information I was given was that my VIN was flagged to void my warranty but he was unable to give me a reason for this.

I am kind of stuck at this point, but I plan on calling BMW NA again, and calling the dealership once more because there has to be a reason for the "voided warranty" and the denial of the warranty claim on the waste gates.
Wow, at 44k and denied! Did you buy this car new or used? I'm trying to guess that maybe it was tuned when brought in the dealership and they noticed it it?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #392
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
My dealer just told me if you complain about the turbos, and they find nothing wrong, they charge a diagnostic fee. Is that true? This is even with CPO. In other words, they find nothing, there's a $120 charge. They find something, $50 charge plus they do the repair free.
as far as I know its a $50 charge for all CPO inquires.

I took my car in for a clicking noise I heard when running A/C. Turned out to be a lost bolt from the Mechanic. To take a look was $50, but removed it once they found out it was their fault.

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #393
kihun
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

I got fresh two turbo at a dealership.. mine is 07 with 35k mileage.. no more wastegate issues.!!
      08-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #394
wtbear
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihun View Post
I got fresh two turbo at a dealership.. mine is 07 with 35k mileage.. no more wastegate issues.!!
Which dealership in Virginia? My local (Charlottesville) has been giving me the runaround on this issue and I'm unsatisfied with them overall. I'll hit the 82k limit on my car in the next year or so but would like to get this taken care of first.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #395
SLOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

Garage List
I'm getting the rattle at startup only. Last a second and goes away. Is this the beginning? I'm at 37K.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #396
deamon32
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by litxus View Post
Wow, at 44k and denied! Did you buy this car new or used? I'm trying to guess that maybe it was tuned when brought in the dealership and they noticed it it?
Bought the car brand new from that same dealer, never let them see the car with a tune in, or anything other than an intake, short shifter and boost gauge.

Still unable to get a specific reason for the denial, trying to push as many people at the dealer and BMW NA until I get somewhere with this.