E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > thinking of plastidip!

12-24-2012, 10:36 PM   #45
335_Zon
Rep
Drives: e92 2008 335i

If you do it right give it about 2 or 3 coats. After each coat of paint wait about 10-20 minutes for it to dry and clean the hell out of the parts you're trying to plastidip so it doesn't get all nasty looking later on.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 12:52 AM   #46
Das_Stig
I don't drink water. Fish fuck in it.
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi
Location: Some say he naturally faces magnetic north, and that all of his legs are hydraulic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335_Zon View Post
If you do it right give it about 2 or 3 coats. After each coat of paint wait about 10-20 minutes for it to dry and clean the hell out of the parts you're trying to plastidip so it doesn't get all nasty looking later on.
ha, can't believe i never thought about how many coats need to be applied to the body, thanks for some good info, ya planning a full wash, claybar, and wipedown before i see the job done
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 08:01 AM   #47
335_Zon
Rep

Yeah just a single coat would be way too thin, you wanna make it not too thin and not too thick. It might take a few tries man so get a few cans of plastidip and do it piece by piece instead of the whole thing at once and see which works best for you brotha.
Too thin = almost transparent/comes off with super tiny pieces(annoying as shit)
Too thick = comes off easy/heavily colored and you can tell cause its like a fat paintjob
But after you get it all done let it sit around and really get stuck and solidify ( you can call it curing ) so it can even survive a tsunami
Its pretty easy to do it also nothing really professional about it just practice on smaller parts then move on to the big picture you know what I mean ? Just for you to get the feel of it.
P.S. Youtube has some really great videos that are very helpful and easy to learn from.

Feel free to msg me if you got any other questions
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #48
Das_Stig
I don't drink water. Fish fuck in it.
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi
Location: Some say he naturally faces magnetic north, and that all of his legs are hydraulic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335_Zon View Post
Yeah just a single coat would be way too thin, you wanna make it not too thin and not too thick. It might take a few tries man so get a few cans of plastidip and do it piece by piece instead of the whole thing at once and see which works best for you brotha.
Too thin = almost transparent/comes off with super tiny pieces(annoying as shit)
Too thick = comes off easy/heavily colored and you can tell cause its like a fat paintjob
But after you get it all done let it sit around and really get stuck and solidify ( you can call it curing ) so it can even survive a tsunami
Its pretty easy to do it also nothing really professional about it just practice on smaller parts then move on to the big picture you know what I mean ? Just for you to get the feel of it.
P.S. Youtube has some really great videos that are very helpful and easy to learn from.

Feel free to msg me if you got any other questions
i was more on the too thick line of thought possibly, was thinking 4-5, need to do some more reading on this, you seem to be pretty experienced with it though, so ya, may hit you up if i hit a wall lol, thanks again broski and merry christmas!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 05:02 PM   #49
335_Zon
Rep

That MIGHT be too many coats but do it on a smaller scale and see if you like it then go ahead and do the whole thing
Haha merry christmas to you too brotha have a fun and safe day!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 06:56 PM   #50
StevenY.
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10' SG e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335_Zon
That MIGHT be too many coats but do it on a smaller scale and see if you like it then go ahead and do the whole thing
How many cans would be needed for an entire car with 3 coats? I have also wondered how much it stands up to keying or rock chips because I plan to do clear matte instead of clear bra since plastidip seems like an easier DIY than clear bra. Thanks!
      12-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #51
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenY. View Post
How many cans would be needed for an entire car with 3 coats? I have also wondered how much it stands up to keying or rock chips because I plan to do clear matte instead of clear bra since plastidip seems like an easier DIY than clear bra. Thanks!
by spraycan maybe 17-20

but most people do it by gallons, usually 3 gallons does a full car with 3-4 coats. but you need to get a spray gun.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #52
Exzackt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: n54 e92 335i/e39 540i6

the big problem with matte white is that it shows oils very easily and isn't easily cleaned. I've read stories about someone closing their hood with dirty hands and had to remove it.

I have had plastidip on my sidemarkers, reflectors and window trim for about 6 months and it still looks great. I would highly recommend you watch the DIYs from dipyourcar
      12-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #53
E92Snow
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i M-Sport

I got my rims powder coated in gloss black and they look and shine wonderful. I suggest powder coating for sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 11:07 PM   #54
mikegh
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 TiAg e90 328xi

I plastidipped the hood of my old car and had it on for months and it held on perfectly and more importantly always looked great. If you do this just make sure you put AT LEAST 5 layers on. I stopped at 3 because that is when I had the desired look, but when I tried to remove it (had to sell the car) it took me 5 hours of constant rubbing on the plastidip to remove it all. Not a fun experience at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 09:03 AM   #55
335_Zon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335_Zon
I never really counted how many cans cause I did mine piece by piece each day to have a very clean job, but get a spray gun if you want to do the whole car in just a day and probably a gallon of plastidip lol. But as far as the keying and rocks try not to get on a rocky road cause it's never happened to me but both of those would most probably ruin the plastidip and you'd have to redo the entire section you painted :/
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 12:37 AM   #56
trippy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: NIL

You can just take off the wrap.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #57
PatJags156
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible

If I wanted to PlastiDip my front bumper then paint over it with a spray can of black paint(that matches my sapphire black), would that work?
Any suggestions on sapphire black spray paint?
Appreciate 0