E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Weapon of Choice

05-13-2009, 08:42 PM   #23
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 AW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanto View Post
I think the only reason why Nikon draws me is because they offer cheaper Full Frame cameras. I like canons menu system and everything. Then again, I've never used a nikon.
Well Canon actually offers cheaper full-frame cameras. The original 5D can be found for under $1500 used, and about $2000 new, but the Nikon D700 at the moment has a $300 rebate and is cheaper than the Canon 5D2. Once that rebate ends the prices should even out.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 09:21 PM   #24
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

Nikon-Canon-Nikon-Canon-blah-blah-blah...

They both make great cameras at every level. There are some genuine differences in the lens systems, but if you can't make great pictures with either system it's not the camera's fault.

For me the availability of IS tele primes and later of the 65mm MPE and f/1.4 wide angle primes made the decision easy. If I was looking for the absolute best wide zooms I'd have probably gone the other way. But I'd have never based the decision on a body.

As far as the 5D2 goes:

Likes -

Nice viewfinder
Fabulous resolution when you do everything right (but you have to be a bit more careful to do everything right)
High res live view is a big improvement over previous generations.

Dislikes -

Shutter lag is noticeable even coming from a 20D and 450D. I've gotten used to it, but it's definitely slower.
No pop-up flash. I have a whole bunch of shoe-mount flashes for various purposes, but on the trail it was nice to just have the shoe flash ready for the unexpected.
Shallower DOF and wider field are great for landscapes and people, but kind of a pain for a lot of the wildlife shooting I do. Of course I knew this going in, but it is something I have to adapt to.

Not that big a deal -

Autofocus. Everyone whines about this, but it's fine for everything I do - as were the 20D and 450D. I'm no action shooter though.

Movies. Pretty cool actually, but I just haven't felt the need to use this feature much.

Battery availability. Sure it'd be nice to be able to buy a spare, but the damn thing lasts forever. I shot 600 frames using a battery-eating IS lens last week and had over 50% capacity left. With that kind of capacity running out probably isn't in the cards for me.

Menus/Ergonomics. It feels and acts like a bit bulkier 20/30/40D. If you're comfortable with those you will be this.

I'm pretty happy with mine....
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2009, 09:31 PM   #25
Juanto
Live my life 1 f/ at a time
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiTCHY View Post
Well Canon actually offers cheaper full-frame cameras. The original 5D can be found for under $1500 used, and about $2000 new, but the Nikon D700 at the moment has a $300 rebate and is cheaper than the Canon 5D2. Once that rebate ends the prices should even out.
I'm talking about the newer technology. I have looked at the 5D but for some reason, I can't make my self jump for it, Then again. For my age, college is a little ways away and I might want to save up for the 5DMK2 then and get the 5D now. I just don't like the way the XTi works, really and I don't want to spend my money on a 50 or 40D for some reason, I just think that I was a full frame camera.

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
Nikon-Canon-Nikon-Canon-blah-blah-blah...

They both make great cameras at every level. There are some genuine differences in the lens systems, but if you can't make great pictures with either system it's not the camera's fault.
My pictures don't come out bad, I've been shooting for 2 years (I know, not too long but for my age to do something for 2 years and want to do it in college, it's pretty big!) Anyway, I'm not un-happy with the pictures. I just want something better partly because I have a feeling my camera is going to crap out on me soon because it's just acting funny and it's not worth fixing IMHO.

I'm happy with Canon but the grass is always greener on the other side. I'm used to everything canon so Nikons system would, in my mind be inferior to what i'm used to and proficient at if I were to switch.

I do agree with the battery, I charge both of mine once a month and use it every day so it's getting it's use.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 12:37 AM   #26
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
primes ftw!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 01:29 AM   #27
Cyruz
Captain
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
some one loves primes

my zenfolio photo gallery
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2009, 09:22 AM   #28
Teshi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Blue/Usually full of camera ge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ23FE View Post
I like those ideas!

Thanks for all the compliments guys!!!

If anyone needs a shoot and you're local, let me know.

-Jalal
Ill defo be posting up when I hit the states. Maybe someone can help organise a shoot which I can attend.
Appreciate 0