E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > General Maintenance Guidelines, any help appreciated!

09-23-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
mnaqvi
Rep
Drives: 328xi 6MT

General Maintenance Guidelines, any help appreciated!

Hey guys,

I just bought a CPO 2007 328xi and despite having 40k miles it's in extremely good shape. I definitely want to keep it in the best possible condition. I never really took an interest in my old car's physical maintenance although it too is in very good condition. However, I don't want to take any risks with my nice new BMW so if you guys could give me a couple guidelines/advice to follow which might preserve my exterior, that would be awesome! I've read a lot about washing, waxing, claying, winter prepping, polishing etc. How often, if at all, should any of these be done? Thanks in advance!

If you guys vehemently believe in the effectiveness of a brand/product, please do share as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 01:52 AM   #2
scrufy
Zoom Zoom This
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Short Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnaqvi View Post
Hey guys,

I just bought a CPO 2007 328xi and despite having 40k miles it's in extremely good shape. I definitely want to keep it in the best possible condition. I never really took an interest in my old car's physical maintenance although it too is in very good condition. However, I don't want to take any risks with my nice new BMW so if you guys could give me a couple guidelines/advice to follow which might preserve my exterior, that would be awesome! I've read a lot about washing, waxing, claying, winter prepping, polishing etc. How often, if at all, should any of these be done? Thanks in advance!

If you guys vehemently believe in the effectiveness of a brand/product, please do share as well.
Bump- I need this info as well...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 03:40 AM   #3
sleepyx637
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335i

does this help? http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Detailing-Guide/
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyx637 View Post
Read that link, and this one: http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...and-dry-a-car/ to learn how to properly wash your car. Proper hand washes are key to preserving the finish. You don't need to clay each time you wash (few times a year should be fine). You will need to polish eventually (most do light polishes 1-2 times per year) and ensure there is always adequate protection on your paint (from a sealant, wax too if you want).

And remember: no tunnel washes and no so-called "detailers"! If you really need to take it to a pro for whatever reason, ask here or at Autopia first. The vast majority of detailers simply don't know what they are doing, but the true pros are known around here (and Autopia).

For now, I would get stared with some quality shampoo, wash media, grit guards (2), drying towels, and a paint sealant for protection. You could also add in a wax to use after the sealant if you want. I added links to some products I like, but you don't have to go with these exact ones.

Browse around some of the detail threads here, see what sounds good to you, and take a look at Detailed Image and Detailers Domain for your supplies. Both are E90Post sponsors and offer top notch customer service.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
mnaqvi
Rep
Drives: 328xi 6MT

Awesome! Thanks a lot bud. I'll definitely start reading those articles. Your car looks beautiful btw, I've heard black cars are hard to maintain but you've done an impeccable job.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 09:52 AM   #6
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Thanks. It's pretty much a full time job..

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0