E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Low/Surging Idle

05-18-2015, 10:25 AM   #1
CJayB
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 335i

Low/Surging Idle

Hi all,

Yesterday I installed an Intercooler, Charge Pipe, and installed a new set of Plugs along with moving from the Cobb Stage 1 Aggressive map to the Stage 1+ Aggressive map.

I drove it after all of the work was done and it performed great.

Later that night I started the car and the RPMs were fluctuating between 600 and 1500. I turned the car off and back on again and it didn't surge at all.

During my drive I noticed the idle was dipping to about 500rpms while cruising in neutral and while stopped at red lights. One time slowing down for a light in neutral the car actually stalled.

Not sure if it's the tune that may be causing the issues or the new set of plugs.

I looked for codes via the Cobb and there were 2 stored - P2774, which seems to be related to airflow and from what I understand is a normal tuner code (though I couldn't find a ton of information about it), and a generic "ECU" code that had no other information listed.

I cleared both codes and have only driven the car once since last night and it seemed normal (warm idle RPMs was at about 600). My assumption is that it's software related because if it were the plugs or due to the fmic/cp install it would be a consistent issue.

Has anyone else had similar problems? I'm thinking the AFR may be out of wack due to the new parts + aggressive tune. Is this something the ECU will learn over time? I'm contemplating getting a PTF map so if that would fix any potential issues I would certainly do it sooner rather than later.

Thanks for any help!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 10:35 AM   #2
wgknestrick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 xdrive

You most likely have a leak from the tubing install. Double check all connections and clamps.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 03:13 PM   #3
CJayB
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 335i

I tightened up the clamps on the intake tube as well as the charge pipe and I think I fixed the P2774 code.

I did a 3rd run pull and the half engine light came on with the codes P2C57 (boost) and P2906 (???). Going to try reinstalling the CP to the throttle body and lower charge pipe to make sure the fitment is tight. Hoping it's not leaking from the VRSF FMIC because that's a little tougher to get to than the CP.

While building boost it sounds like there's a pretty loud "whoosh" sound coming from somewhere. Can't tell if it's from the turbo/fmic area or under the hood.
Appreciate 0