E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Dealer detail, now back-doors and seats make noise like crazy?

11-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Dealer detail, now back-doors and seats make noise like crazy?

Really hoping this goes away. I also have some white residue on exterior, around windows, doors, even tow cap.

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
B39 B58
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i / M Sport / 6MT

If the door noise is coming from the seals, try wiping them down with a damp cloth or mild cleaner and applying a few doses of gummi pflege or non-petroleum dry silicon lubricant.
      11-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep

Thanks, it sounds like more of a leather issue, but I am going to try anything. Looks good, leather just has a slippery feel, steering wheel even feels different. Looks brand new though.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
bob.g
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

the white residue is from the dealer not properly masking the car before he polished it, Once that stuff hardens it becomes harder to remove (a steam cleaner is useful in those cases). Id remove the leftover with some alcohol, unless it was stuck in some crevices in which case id bust out the steamer. My cousin just bought a cpo and the dealer detailed it and there was polish stuck in all kinds of places.

The seats/steering being slippery is just the type of product they used. Something like 303 would give that same slippery, squeeky feel to it. It wears off. But if you want it gone now, you can buy an all purpose cleaner and wipe down the seats with it to get rid of the product, and then get something else to re-apply that wont leave that greasy slippery feel.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

^+1

The slippery stuff causes mating surfaces to slide back and forth even more, which will create noise.

What you need is to make the surfaces (leather, rubber) as matte and supple as possible, which means using quality conditioners, nothing like armor all.

Once you get the surfaces matte and soft, the noise should greatly reduce.

Personally, I love Leatherique and Einzeit Cockpit. I use the Einzeit on the seals and it works great.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback, this forum is great. There is quite a bit of white buid-up, especially the exterior, in small areas like the tow-cap. Not sure on the product used, I know they spent all day on the car I actually saw them working on it in the morning and late in the afternoon as I popped in and looked in the garage, and like I said it looked great, but I honestly wish it was not detailed at this point. Live and learn.

Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Get a small horse hair brush and remove the residue in all the crevices were they let it build up. It's a rush job they probably did not mask at all and got polish or lsp residue everywhere. Alcohol will remove the lsp and full strength alcohol is usually not a good idea, dilute with distilled water about 3:1 ratio. The slippery surfaces are just what other's described, whatever product they used is doing that.
I'd personally wash the car properly first before doing anything and see what comes off, dealers are notorious for glazing up cars to hide defects. Live and learn quality details take time or money, sometimes even both.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #8
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep

OK so now, I think it is the windows that are making the noise. I noticed it when I was cleaning off the white residue. I heard the same squeaky sound. Rolled each window down one at a time and sure enough it was the windows.

Any ideas, I am guessing it is whatever they used on the trim?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Probably the seals around the doors/windows, they will squeak if you put most any dressing on them. Wipe down with a 3:1 mix water and IPA to remove the dressing, then wipe again with water only. If you dress them use Gummi Pflege or SwissVax Seal feed. The Gummi is way cheaper. Or do not dress them at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #10
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep

Thanks.
Appreciate 0