E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Obd Security Fix Available Now !!!

12-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #155
Mitch.
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzle View Post
So I managed to get mine booked in despite it being a 2006 model. I turned up and got turned away. Obviously I wanted to know why my car was not affected and I was told the security update was to disabled the functionality of using the blade in the key to unlock and drop the windows in the door lock. I demonstrated to them that I had this function on my 2006 but was told the update was for a ems2? and mine was an ems1 so the update couldn't be applied.

Needless to say my port has been relocated.
I tried to book my 56' car in earlier this week, they just fed me the usual "cars from 07' only, your car is not affected sir" and would not budge What a load of bollacks.

BMW should sort this out for pre 07 cars. I wouldn't be surprised if insurance premiums go up for pre 07 cars, as according to BMTrouble there is no security fix and as we all know they are still being stolen.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #156
dotmit
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 325i | K46 S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaza01 View Post
They did ask about the 'cookes ferry' mod to the OBD and what it was for (think it was the first time they saw it) but were absolutely fine with it and actually seemed to think it was a good idea!
What is the 'cookes ferry' mod?
      12-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #157
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotmit View Post
What is the 'cookes ferry' mod?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=Cooks+Ferry
      12-17-2012, 06:07 AM   #158
dotmit
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprio View Post
That thread doesn't tell me what the mod is. It just tells me their phone number, which I could have googled.

I would have expected someone on a knowledgeable car forum to be able to type in a few seconds what the mod entails rather than expecting me to perform a search of the forum only to get a phone number and call them.

But thanks for your incredibly helpful advice, I'll be sure to remember how helpful the people here are next time I ask a simple question.
      12-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #159
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: Gone: E92 M3 Competition Pack

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #160
NotNormal
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant 3.0TDi Quattro

In a nutshell, the update means that in order to have a key coded one of the origional keys is required to be present
      12-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #161
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
That thread doesn't tell me what the mod is. It just tells me their phone number, which I could have googled.

I would have expected someone on a knowledgeable car forum to be able to type in a few seconds what the mod entails rather than expecting me to perform a search of the forum only to get a phone number and call them.

But thanks for your incredibly helpful advice, I'll be sure to remember how helpful the people here are next time I ask a simple question.
I doubt anyone would be foolish enough to spell out in finite detail what Cooks Ferry do in terms of making your car more secure,publishing the details on an open forum has a habit of being self defeating,as I'm sure the bastard cocktards who steal the cars,probably frequent forums such as this one,to get a heads up as to what security measures they need to conquer next.

If the Cooks Ferry method is of interest,give them a call,I'm sure they'll help,I'd like to think they wouldn't be too descriptive,after all you could be a tealeaf

http://www.cooksferry.com/

There is a wealth of info on ways you can DIY in this thread:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741889

For info,moving the OBD port yourself is easy,quick and needs minimal skill,and few tools.

It also costs zilch,unless you elect to buy an extension cable for the port,or buy an OBD blank.

You mentioned 'helpful', how'd I do?

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #162
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

LOL where is there so much tension everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #163
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #164
dotmit
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
I doubt anyone would be foolish enough to spell out in finite detail what Cooks Ferry do in terms of making your car more secure,publishing the details on an open forum has a habit of being self defeating,as I'm sure the bastard cocktards who steal the cars,probably frequent forums such as this one,to get a heads up as to what security measures they need to conquer next.

If the Cooks Ferry method is of interest,give them a call,I'm sure they'll help,I'd like to think they wouldn't be too descriptive,after all you could be a tealeaf

http://www.cooksferry.com/

There is a wealth of info on ways you can DIY in this thread:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741889

For info,moving the OBD port yourself is easy,quick and needs minimal skill,and few tools.

It also costs zilch,unless you elect to buy an extension cable for the port,or buy an OBD blank.

You mentioned 'helpful', how'd I do?
lol that is a little more helpful, though I already read both of those threads you mentioned and that didn't tell me what the Cooks Ferry mod was, hence my question.

What's to stop a dodgy crook from phoning Cooks Ferry and asking them what they do? Just having the information on a forum doesn't make it insecure if Cooks Ferry are happy to disclose the information by phone.

If they aren't happy to disclose the information by phone, then it would be more helpful to suggest I don't bother calling them unless I am prepared to get my wallet out to find out what they do.

So there

No tension on my part, I'm not like some kind of lame keyboard warrior who wouldn't say the same thing at a meetup or whatever. Speaking of which, see you at the Ace on Saturday morning if you're there. I'll buy you a cup of tea for you to ease the tension
      12-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #165
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
lol that is a little more helpful, though I already read both of those threads you mentioned and that didn't tell me what the Cooks Ferry mod was, hence my question.

What's to stop a dodgy crook from phoning Cooks Ferry and asking them what they do? Just having the information on a forum doesn't make it insecure if Cooks Ferry are happy to disclose the information by phone.

If they aren't happy to disclose the information by phone, then it would be more helpful to suggest I don't bother calling them unless I am prepared to get my wallet out to find out what they do.

So there

No tension on my part, I'm not like some kind of lame keyboard warrior who wouldn't say the same thing at a meetup or whatever. Speaking of which, see you at the Ace on Saturday morning if you're there. I'll buy you a cup of tea for you to ease the tension
No tension here Fella,mine stopped at the end of November,so I'm OK until at least the 27th of this mth,so I'll stay off the forum for 4/5 days,might be safer

If you're going to the Ace on Sat,ask Dave (Mega) what they (Cooks Ferry) do,better still,ask him to move the port for you,it's only a 15min job,fair exchange would be the brekkie tab

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #166
NotNormal
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant 3.0TDi Quattro

I had my cars security update done today at Astle BMW

All foc, treated very well, car washed, dried, vacuumed, tyre shined and air freshened - feel alittle happier now, even though the 335d isn't the car they'd steel, especially not my 2007 plate one, but never the less, peace of mind.
      12-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #167
dotmit
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I had mine done today at Park Lane, along with the OBD software update and navigation maps update.
Got my 7 digit postcodes now but lost all the coding that Makkan did for me last week :/
      12-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #168
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotmit
I had mine done today at Park Lane, along with the OBD software update and navigation maps update.
Got my 7 digit postcodes now but lost all the coding that Makkan did for me last week :/
You are more than welcome to get it re-done FOC.
HTH.
      12-21-2012, 03:09 AM   #169
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition

Quote:

Just read this, oh well I I guess that told me.

Try not to be too upset mitdot...oops; I mean dotmit.
      12-21-2012, 06:41 AM   #170
dotmit
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprio View Post
Just read this, oh well I I guess that told me.

Try not to be too upset mitdot...oops; I mean dotmit.
I'm not upset, what gave you that impression? You're the one who started with the 'why don't you just search the forum' post so my question must have somehow upset you, or you'd have supplied a more useful answer